Sadly, we had a bad experience at this hotel - we booked our reservations well in advance and even called overseas to personally speak to the hotel to guarantee we had the room we requested. We were assured (guaranteed) that we would have a corner suite with views of the Amstel Canal. We arrived early and were told as soon as the room was ready we could check in early. After two hours, we decided to walk around for a while. Two more hours elapsed and we were back at the hotel well AFTER their published check-in time. Still no room. We decided to get a meal at the hotel since we had waited so long and were then told that there was no room in the restaurant - at all. The Manager offered to "get me a pancake" and suggested I take it and eat it while I walked around some more! We were clearly getting upset at this time and he then said he did have our room ready. We were escorted to a tiny room with a sliver of a canal view that was not a suite. He then proceeded to tell us they were fully booked, even though we had a guaranteed suite reserved in writing. The room he showed us had a king sized bed that was only 12" off the ground and lumpy. The carpet was gray with dirt and generally it looked as if all the mismatched pieces of furniture were stored in this room! This is so unlike the standards of Intercontinental. We refused the room and left. On a positive note, the concierge, Mr. Peter Moos, was wonderfully helpful and tried hard to help us out in any way he could. He had booked us tours and dinners which he transferred over to the hotel we eventually ended up checking into. Extremely disappointing experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal CarrÃ© Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, IHG, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Priceline, Otel, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam