“Opulence at its finest” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
“Opulence at its finest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed in this hotel in March 2014 for a business trip.

Hotel is beautifully situated on the Amstel river. The building is old with a classic french style. I'm not usually into that style but they pulled it off perfectly in this hotel.

The staff were wonderful, friendly, and very helpful.

Location was not bad. It was walking distance from most of the attractions in the area (Heineken Brewery, Van Gogh Museum, and Red Light District). But make sure to bring your walking shoes because you're going to walk a lot.

Room was lovely and very spacious. So was the bathroom.

Didn't try the restaurants or room service so I can't comment on those. The breakfast was very good.

Would I stay there again? Probably not...But wouldn't complain if I did. Personally, I prefer hotels with more of a modern chic vibe and younger crown.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the river (looking west)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your positive and extensive review. It is a great pleasure to read that your stay in Amsterdam was a pleasant one and that we were capable to meet your expectations. We hope you enjoyed the Van Gogh Museum and the rest of Amsterdam. Furthermore I will pass your compliments to the staff members involved and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Anita Bos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Darmstadt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a weekend in February 2014.

As an Intercontinental card holder, I was lucky to be upgraded to a suite. The room itself was excellent, with a view over the Amstel river and Amsterdam. During the day, there was a little noise from the tram clunking its way across the river bridge, but nothing to disturb my sleep as the room was double glazed.

The room was large, well equipped and spacious. Free wifi was available - an excellent addition. The bathroom was clean, tidy and everything had a touch of luxury that fitted well with the quality of the room. The hotel itself is a decent walk from the centre of town, but frankly, the centre of Amsterdam isn't the nicest anyway, so it's probably a good thing!

The only downside to this stay is simply the price. The hotel isn't cheap by any stretch, but charging €9.50 for a bottle of Heineken is starting to push into the "unreasonable" category. The same with breakfast - very nice and very tasty, but €26 for croissant, bread and jam is a bit steep. I didn't drive (the metro is within 5 minutes walk of the hotel) but €60 per night to park means I'd REALLY have to want my car nearby to stay here!

If you have the money, I highly recommend this hotel - it really is beautiful and the staff are welcoming and friendly. If you're looking for value for money, maybe this isn't the best place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street will have some disturbance from passing trams
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your nice and detailed review. It is a great pleasure to learn that your stay in Amsterdam was an enjoyable one. I will discuss the prices you mention with our Management Team. Regarding the parking in Amsterdam; on the streets the rates vary from 3 to 4 Euro per hour. Furthermore I will pass your compliments to the staff members involved and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Great older building that is beautifully maintained and impeccably staffed. The service here was excellent, and while some spaces can seem a bit tight (as is typical for older hotels), other areas such as the gym far surpass what you would expect to find. We had both of rooms upgraded to suites (a nice touch seeing as they were only obligated to upgrade me as a Royal Ambassador, not my colleague), which were very spacious and well appointed.
Best of all is the location. Just around the corner through the Frederiksplein park is a nice street full of good bars and restaurants. It's an easy walk through the city to the flower market or city center, yet you're just far enough away that you don't have the crowds/drunks that fill up the red light district at night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review and even tips for other travellers to Amsterdam. It is a great pleasure to read that enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for the compliments. I will of course share them with the team. We all are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We picked this hotel based of the recommendation we read from Tripadvisor. It was a nice stay and we got a great service and experience. The room is extremely spacious , the amenities are excellent and it's very close to centrum where the real Amsterdam located. 150 m from the hotel there is a tram station . i strongly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is a great pleasure to read that enjoyed your stay with us and we would like to thank you for the compliments. I will of course share them with all staff members. We all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed just 3 nights at the Amstel Intercontinental, and wished it could have been more. The service was impeccable, and we couldn't have asked for a friendlier, more knowledgeable staff. As an older, historic hotel, it is beautifully maintained. The staff is proud, happy, and willing to do anything to make your stay a good one. Our room had a river view, and it was stunning indeed. It was luxurious, comfortable and welcoming. We spent a lot of time away from the hotel because we wanted to see the area, and every time we arrived back, we were greeted warmly and happily. There are many beautiful touches in the rooms as well as the common areas, and all beautifully done. Our stay was in January, but the flowers were stunning and creatively arranged. You cannot go wrong here, as this hotel staff works very hard to make it good for you. You cannot beat the location as it is central to many attractions. There is very easy transportation to and from the hotel from the airport, via Connexxion, and that service is very affordable, quick and easy to find at the airport. We plan to go back to this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received friendly welcoming service. It’s something our staff takes great pride in, so we value your feedback. I will pass your compliments on to them. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We used our IHG points to book 4 nights over Thanksgiving. When we arrived at the hotel, tired after our overnight flight, we were told we could "upgrade" our Executive City View room to a 1- bedroom suite with river view at a rather steep upcharge of 160 Euro/night. Foolishly we did not request to see both rooms before opting for the upgrade.

Although the room was generously sized and nicely appointed, the "river view" could only be seen from one of the bedroom windows by leaning far to the left. We also discovered that the furniture had all "bottomed out" rendering it uncomfortable to sit in for any length of time. The wardrobe was also awkwardly located making unpacking a little difficult.

The next morning, I spoke with reception about our disappointment with the room and the over-zealous "upselling". I asked if we could be moved to the original Executive King room but was told none was available until later in the day. The agent did find one available room which she showed me but it was very tiny without a view. I went on to tell her about the lack of view and uncomfortable furniture and was told they would be happy to replace the furniture. Late that evening I received a phone call from the Front Desk asking if we would like to look at other rooms. It was so late, I responded I did not.

We continued to stay in the original upgrade all the while fuming for being so stupid. The day before we left, the Front Desk called to offer us a discount which we gladly accepted.

We also had an issue with breakfast on the last day. We asked if we could order off the ala carte menu rather than have the breakfast buffet. We were told we could---but at the price of the buffet which was rather steep. We countered that items on the room service menu were priced much less than the buffet, but the server didn't seem to understand the issue. We finally threw in the towel and ordered simple omelets. At the end of the meal, the manager came to our table and apologized for the confusion and compted our breakfast. A really nice gesture, but the issue could be avoided if ala carte choices were offered.

Not so sure I'd want to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate the fact that you took time to share your experiences with us. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and I regret that we did not succeed. I value the feedback and have discussed it with all departments involved. If you would like to share any additional details regarding your stay, you can contact me at amstel@ihg.com. If you decide to return to Amsterdam and the hotel, please contact me. It will be my pleasure to show you the improvements.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

SERVICE
In all my travels, I have never received such perfect service from a hotel. From beginning to end, every staff member I encountered delivered top-notch service. They were friendly, attentive, polite, and eager to please. The servers in the restaurant and bar were able to predict what I would need, and remembered my preferences the next time I showed up. You could tell they took pride in their work, and it made my stay more enjoyable.

LOCATION
Location is not that great for tourism. Sure it's on the river, but it's Amsterdam, what property isn't on a river or canal? It is a long walk to the museums and to the historic district.

ROOMS
The rooms are old, and it shows (creaky floors, dusty walls, sunken furniture). The rooms are grand nevertheless. With high ceilings, marble, and gold accents, it definitely feels Old World luxury.

FACILITIES
The building is historic and beautiful. The bar and lounge area are charming. The pool area is small but nice, as it overlooks the river. The gym is tiny, but packed with the necessary modern equipment for a decent workout. There is also juices, fruits and coffee in the gym/pool area, which is a nice touch. There is a sauna and whirpool as well.

VALUE
This hotel is rather expensive, it cost me 400 EUR per night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate the fact that you took time to share your experiences with us. It is a great pleasure that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received attentive service. Delivering high standard service is something our staff takes great pride in and I will share your compliments with our entire team.
However, our goal is to make your stay as wonderful as possible and I very much regret that we did not succeed. We appreciate the feedback and I would like to discuss any additional details regarding your stay. Could you please contact me via amstel@ihg.com? This would be very much appreciated by me.

Anita Bos

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!