My wife and I stayed here for a weekend in February 2014.
As an Intercontinental card holder, I was lucky to be upgraded to a suite. The room itself was excellent, with a view over the Amstel river and Amsterdam. During the day, there was a little noise from the tram clunking its way across the river bridge, but nothing to disturb my sleep as the room was double glazed.
The room was large, well equipped and spacious. Free wifi was available - an excellent addition. The bathroom was clean, tidy and everything had a touch of luxury that fitted well with the quality of the room. The hotel itself is a decent walk from the centre of town, but frankly, the centre of Amsterdam isn't the nicest anyway, so it's probably a good thing!
The only downside to this stay is simply the price. The hotel isn't cheap by any stretch, but charging €9.50 for a bottle of Heineken is starting to push into the "unreasonable" category. The same with breakfast - very nice and very tasty, but €26 for croissant, bread and jam is a bit steep. I didn't drive (the metro is within 5 minutes walk of the hotel) but €60 per night to park means I'd REALLY have to want my car nearby to stay here!
If you have the money, I highly recommend this hotel - it really is beautiful and the staff are welcoming and friendly. If you're looking for value for money, maybe this isn't the best place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal CarrÃ© Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Venere, Agoda, Travelocity, Low Cost Holidays, Odigeo, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam