“Beware the Upsell” 3 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Beware the Upsell”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We used our IHG points to book 4 nights over Thanksgiving. When we arrived at the hotel, tired after our overnight flight, we were told we could "upgrade" our Executive City View room to a 1- bedroom suite with river view at a rather steep upcharge of 160 Euro/night. Foolishly we did not request to see both rooms before opting for the upgrade.

Although the room was generously sized and nicely appointed, the "river view" could only be seen from one of the bedroom windows by leaning far to the left. We also discovered that the furniture had all "bottomed out" rendering it uncomfortable to sit in for any length of time. The wardrobe was also awkwardly located making unpacking a little difficult.

The next morning, I spoke with reception about our disappointment with the room and the over-zealous "upselling". I asked if we could be moved to the original Executive King room but was told none was available until later in the day. The agent did find one available room which she showed me but it was very tiny without a view. I went on to tell her about the lack of view and uncomfortable furniture and was told they would be happy to replace the furniture. Late that evening I received a phone call from the Front Desk asking if we would like to look at other rooms. It was so late, I responded I did not.

We continued to stay in the original upgrade all the while fuming for being so stupid. The day before we left, the Front Desk called to offer us a discount which we gladly accepted.

We also had an issue with breakfast on the last day. We asked if we could order off the ala carte menu rather than have the breakfast buffet. We were told we could---but at the price of the buffet which was rather steep. We countered that items on the room service menu were priced much less than the buffet, but the server didn't seem to understand the issue. We finally threw in the towel and ordered simple omelets. At the end of the meal, the manager came to our table and apologized for the confusion and compted our breakfast. A really nice gesture, but the issue could be avoided if ala carte choices were offered.

Not so sure I'd want to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate the fact that you took time to share your experiences with us. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and I regret that we did not succeed. I value the feedback and have discussed it with all departments involved. If you would like to share any additional details regarding your stay, you can contact me at amstel@ihg.com. If you decide to return to Amsterdam and the hotel, please contact me. It will be my pleasure to show you the improvements.

432 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

SERVICE
In all my travels, I have never received such perfect service from a hotel. From beginning to end, every staff member I encountered delivered top-notch service. They were friendly, attentive, polite, and eager to please. The servers in the restaurant and bar were able to predict what I would need, and remembered my preferences the next time I showed up. You could tell they took pride in their work, and it made my stay more enjoyable.

LOCATION
Location is not that great for tourism. Sure it's on the river, but it's Amsterdam, what property isn't on a river or canal? It is a long walk to the museums and to the historic district.

ROOMS
The rooms are old, and it shows (creaky floors, dusty walls, sunken furniture). The rooms are grand nevertheless. With high ceilings, marble, and gold accents, it definitely feels Old World luxury.

FACILITIES
The building is historic and beautiful. The bar and lounge area are charming. The pool area is small but nice, as it overlooks the river. The gym is tiny, but packed with the necessary modern equipment for a decent workout. There is also juices, fruits and coffee in the gym/pool area, which is a nice touch. There is a sauna and whirpool as well.

VALUE
This hotel is rather expensive, it cost me 400 EUR per night.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate the fact that you took time to share your experiences with us. It is a great pleasure that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received attentive service. Delivering high standard service is something our staff takes great pride in and I will share your compliments with our entire team.
However, our goal is to make your stay as wonderful as possible and I very much regret that we did not succeed. We appreciate the feedback and I would like to discuss any additional details regarding your stay. Could you please contact me via amstel@ihg.com? This would be very much appreciated by me.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was a fabulous hotel with beautiful rooms, great staff, super-fantastic bar.

The A Bar - Awesome. There are NO bartenders. They are Mixologists and they are tops. Get a Blue Blazer.

The pool was great - be sure to take your suit and make time for it. The heated pool is at the canal level, surrounded by glass.

Breakfast was great. The location was nice and quiet. If you want to stay in the middle of "crazy" in the Red Light District, then this is not for you. Otherwise, plan on a 15-20 minute walk to the district and surrounding areas.

Room Tip: Top floor. Face the canal.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review. It is wonderful to learn that your stay with us was a great success and that you had the time to experience our A bar and the Amstel Health & Fitness Club. Also it is great that you feel you received attentive service from our A bar mixologists. I will make sure your compliments will reach our whole team. Again thank you for your comment and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights over the new year the staff made us very comfortable we stayed in one of their suites, which had all the touches we would look for. We highly recommend this hotel for high end guests who expect the best service and they delivered. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received attentive service. It’s something our staff takes great pride in. I will make sure your compliments will be received by them. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.
PRESENTATION: the hotel occupies a semi-iconic location in Amsterdam sitting directly on the Amstel and being near the "Skinny Bridge". The hotel is a fairly long walk from Centraal Station, but there is a metro station with direct connections (and then subsequently on to the airport).
CHECK IN: prompt and very polite and welcoming. We were told that we had an excellent room and we were offered a special treat because I was staying at the hotel for my birthday. Totally unexpected and very much appreciated.
CONCIERGE: Very polite and helpful. Provided a map and directions with no problems. Luggage storage was easy and bags collected with ease.
ROOM: Very well presented and we like really the fact that the decor and the paintings were evocative of Amsterdam and the Netherlands - it did not feel like we were staying at chain hotel. Excellent television, coffee machine and sound system. Bathroom was large with separate bath and shower cubicle. Plentiful and high quality toiletries provided.
BAR: We visited the "A Bar" and the staff were very informative about the cocktails on offer. A very enjoyable experience, which was made all the better by the bar staff.
BREAKFAST: good selection of buffet food with Moet champagne available. Food very high quality. Eggs to order - served quickly and with a smile. We had a table overlooking the Amstel and it really was a beautiful setting and very memorable.
POOL AREA: Very well maintained pool area (albeit a little too warm for my personal liking, although I'm sure it suited others). Pool very nice but too small for laps. Excellent facilities with sauna, steam room, plunge pool and a rain shower with different scents. Plenty of drinks, fruits and snacks at the poolside. Abundance of fresh towels of different sizes.
Overall an excellent hotel and I would highly recommend staying here as a treat (in particular, if you have the ability to book a promotional rate - if so, this hotel represents very good value for money too).

Room Tip: Book using a IHG promotional rate wherever possible - excellent value given the overall quality of t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this nice review of our hotel on tripadvisor. It is a great pleasure to read that your stay in Amsterdam was a great success and that you had such great experiences throughout the hotel.
I am really happy that we were able to show you a different side of Amsterdam. It is also wonderful to read that you feel you received attentive service. Delivering high standard service is something our staff takes great pride in. I will share your compliments with them.
Thank you again for your nice compliments. We all are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam, our A bar will have new cocktails available to tell you all about. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Beautiful hotel with excellent service. Used the Amex Plat Fine hotels program - one free night, room ready on arrival at 8 AM, breakfasts and dining credit.

While the hotel appears large sitting next to the river and canals, there are only around 70 rooms but with enough high quality staff to man a 160 room hotel. Excellent pool and spa facilities were enjoyed almost every day.

Food at the hotel was consistently high quality. Service was bend over backwards to please level in the restaurants, bar, concierge or front desk. Mixologists were first rate in the A Bar.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your friendly review. It is a great pleasure to read that your stay with us was a great success and that you had nice experiences throughout the different facilities of the hotel. Of course I will share your compliments with our team. We all are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Livingston, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I chose the Intercontinental Amstel as the cherry on the sundae of our 15-day European vacation. We wanted Amsterdam and this hotel to be our last stop and we were very excited and looking forward to staying in this beautiful hotel. We booked the Presidential Suite with great expectations. As mentioned in previous reviews. The lobby was beautiful, the "Presidential Suite" simply was NOT. The carpet was old and stained. The furniture was falling apart and peeling something awful. Desperately needs renovating!!!! Since this was suppose to be one of their best rooms, we shared our disappointment with the manager. Not necessarily expecting anything to be done about it, we were pleasantly surprised when the manager offered to move us into another room - their Executive Suite. This room was 200 times better than their so-called Presidential Suite. They sent a bellman up to help us move our things to our new room. However, in our haste, I left my iPad w/keyboard in the drawer of the nightstand in the bedroom and did not realize it until the next day. I reported this. We went back to the room to look for the iPad and it was no longer there. It was reported to each manager on duty as well as security and the supervisor of housekeeping. The hotel promised to do a thorough investigation of my STOLEN property. I came in this hotel with my iPad and left without it. There is no doubt in my mind that someone from the hotel staff took my property and this hotel has offered to do nothing about it. Even after we returned home, I sent emails and have heard nothing.This is the last day of 2013. This happened at the end of August. I was hoping they would do the right thing and at least try some form of compensation. But I have not heard anything since returning. Needless to say I am very disappointed and will never stay at this hotel and plan to tell all of my traveling friends, when visiting Amsterdam, DO NOT stay at the Amstel - they have thieves on their staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Belle C,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!