The InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.
PRESENTATION: the hotel occupies a semi-iconic location in Amsterdam sitting directly on the Amstel and being near the "Skinny Bridge". The hotel is a fairly long walk from Centraal Station, but there is a metro station with direct connections (and then subsequently on to the airport).
CHECK IN: prompt and very polite and welcoming. We were told that we had an excellent room and we were offered a special treat because I was staying at the hotel for my birthday. Totally unexpected and very much appreciated.
CONCIERGE: Very polite and helpful. Provided a map and directions with no problems. Luggage storage was easy and bags collected with ease.
ROOM: Very well presented and we like really the fact that the decor and the paintings were evocative of Amsterdam and the Netherlands - it did not feel like we were staying at chain hotel. Excellent television, coffee machine and sound system. Bathroom was large with separate bath and shower cubicle. Plentiful and high quality toiletries provided.
BAR: We visited the "A Bar" and the staff were very informative about the cocktails on offer. A very enjoyable experience, which was made all the better by the bar staff.
BREAKFAST: good selection of buffet food with Moet champagne available. Food very high quality. Eggs to order - served quickly and with a smile. We had a table overlooking the Amstel and it really was a beautiful setting and very memorable.
POOL AREA: Very well maintained pool area (albeit a little too warm for my personal liking, although I'm sure it suited others). Pool very nice but too small for laps. Excellent facilities with sauna, steam room, plunge pool and a rain shower with different scents. Plenty of drinks, fruits and snacks at the poolside. Abundance of fresh towels of different sizes.
Overall an excellent hotel and I would highly recommend staying here as a treat (in particular, if you have the ability to book a promotional rate - if so, this hotel represents very good value for money too).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal CarrÃ© Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Venere, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam