“Fantastic stay - helped me see a different side to Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, Amsterdam 1018 GX, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #31 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay - helped me see a different side to Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.
PRESENTATION: the hotel occupies a semi-iconic location in Amsterdam sitting directly on the Amstel and being near the "Skinny Bridge". The hotel is a fairly long walk from Centraal Station, but there is a metro station with direct connections (and then subsequently on to the airport).
CHECK IN: prompt and very polite and welcoming. We were told that we had an excellent room and we were offered a special treat because I was staying at the hotel for my birthday. Totally unexpected and very much appreciated.
CONCIERGE: Very polite and helpful. Provided a map and directions with no problems. Luggage storage was easy and bags collected with ease.
ROOM: Very well presented and we like really the fact that the decor and the paintings were evocative of Amsterdam and the Netherlands - it did not feel like we were staying at chain hotel. Excellent television, coffee machine and sound system. Bathroom was large with separate bath and shower cubicle. Plentiful and high quality toiletries provided.
BAR: We visited the "A Bar" and the staff were very informative about the cocktails on offer. A very enjoyable experience, which was made all the better by the bar staff.
BREAKFAST: good selection of buffet food with Moet champagne available. Food very high quality. Eggs to order - served quickly and with a smile. We had a table overlooking the Amstel and it really was a beautiful setting and very memorable.
POOL AREA: Very well maintained pool area (albeit a little too warm for my personal liking, although I'm sure it suited others). Pool very nice but too small for laps. Excellent facilities with sauna, steam room, plunge pool and a rain shower with different scents. Plenty of drinks, fruits and snacks at the poolside. Abundance of fresh towels of different sizes.
Overall an excellent hotel and I would highly recommend staying here as a treat (in particular, if you have the ability to book a promotional rate - if so, this hotel represents very good value for money too).

Room Tip: Book using a IHG promotional rate wherever possible - excellent value given the overall quality of t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put this nice review of our hotel on tripadvisor. It is a great pleasure to read that your stay in Amsterdam was a great success and that you had such great experiences throughout the hotel.
I am really happy that we were able to show you a different side of Amsterdam. It is also wonderful to read that you feel you received attentive service. Delivering high standard service is something our staff takes great pride in. I will share your compliments with them.
Thank you again for your nice compliments. We all are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam, our A bar will have new cocktails available to tell you all about. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Beautiful hotel with excellent service. Used the Amex Plat Fine hotels program - one free night, room ready on arrival at 8 AM, breakfasts and dining credit.

While the hotel appears large sitting next to the river and canals, there are only around 70 rooms but with enough high quality staff to man a 160 room hotel. Excellent pool and spa facilities were enjoyed almost every day.

Food at the hotel was consistently high quality. Service was bend over backwards to please level in the restaurants, bar, concierge or front desk. Mixologists were first rate in the A Bar.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your friendly review. It is a great pleasure to read that your stay with us was a great success and that you had nice experiences throughout the different facilities of the hotel. Of course I will share your compliments with our team. We all are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Livingston, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I chose the Intercontinental Amstel as the cherry on the sundae of our 15-day European vacation. We wanted Amsterdam and this hotel to be our last stop and we were very excited and looking forward to staying in this beautiful hotel. We booked the Presidential Suite with great expectations. As mentioned in previous reviews. The lobby was beautiful, the "Presidential Suite" simply was NOT. The carpet was old and stained. The furniture was falling apart and peeling something awful. Desperately needs renovating!!!! Since this was suppose to be one of their best rooms, we shared our disappointment with the manager. Not necessarily expecting anything to be done about it, we were pleasantly surprised when the manager offered to move us into another room - their Executive Suite. This room was 200 times better than their so-called Presidential Suite. They sent a bellman up to help us move our things to our new room. However, in our haste, I left my iPad w/keyboard in the drawer of the nightstand in the bedroom and did not realize it until the next day. I reported this. We went back to the room to look for the iPad and it was no longer there. It was reported to each manager on duty as well as security and the supervisor of housekeeping. The hotel promised to do a thorough investigation of my STOLEN property. I came in this hotel with my iPad and left without it. There is no doubt in my mind that someone from the hotel staff took my property and this hotel has offered to do nothing about it. Even after we returned home, I sent emails and have heard nothing.This is the last day of 2013. This happened at the end of August. I was hoping they would do the right thing and at least try some form of compensation. But I have not heard anything since returning. Needless to say I am very disappointed and will never stay at this hotel and plan to tell all of my traveling friends, when visiting Amsterdam, DO NOT stay at the Amstel - they have thieves on their staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear Belle C,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I spend 2 nights at Intercontinental Amstel (Amsterdam) in December 2013. I must confess, it was a greet time. The hotel is located in the city center (quite part of Amsterdam). If you prefer a rambling, the location will be perfect (app. 25-30 minutes walking distance to the heart of the city, Dum sq.). You are able to jogging, cycling or just walk along channels whole days. The hotel is a pearl among Intercontinental hotels. The guests are able to stay in an antique building, in unique rooms with a perfect and top-notch service. All staffs are professional hoteliers and make one absolutely feel they're all welcome here. The swimming pool deserves a high praise.

Only one comments, I celebrated my birthday, but the hotel didn’t provide any complimentary cakes or fancy cake with me. I anticipated it.

In total, I had a great time at this hotel and I have no hesitation in recommending anyone who could not make up their minds where to stay.

Good picks for you, dears! ;)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will have a very positive remembrance of your visit. Of course I will share your compliments with our team. I am sorry to hear that we did not provide you with anything for you birthday. Next time you decide to stay in Amsterdam please contact me at amstel@ihg.com, so we can arrange something nice for you. We all are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam.

USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We had 1 night in Amsterdam and decided to spend it in the city rather than the airport. The train from Schipol was easy and inexpensive. We arrived at 9:30 AM. Luckily our room was ready. They said we were upgraded to a suite but I am not sure it was an upgrade. I had prepaid for a jr suite on the canal. The room we received was large and very comfortable, but on the street with only a slight view of the canal. It was still a good room as we could watch the activity of the town. If you want a quieter room I would suggest insisting on a canal room. The room had a very large bath room with seperate tub and shower and heated towel rack. The pool was very nice with a coffee, tea, and juice service adjacent. The gym was small but well equipped. The location is very convient to both Central and the tram. Excellent breakfast which I added to my reservation when I booked the room. I think it was a better deal than paying at the restaurant. All and all it was an excellent stay.

Room Tip: I think the canal front rooms would be very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review of our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that your stay in Amsterdam was a great success, despite its short character. It is also wonderful to learn that you liked the location and Health Club of the Amstel hotel. Of course I will share your compliments with our team. We all are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Portsmouth, N.H.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel is in a bit out of the way, but not bad if you like to walk. The stunning hotel sits next to the river. The lobby is gorgeous. We expected the rooms to be equally as nice, they were not. I would suspect the rooms have not been renovated in 10+ years. The carpet was stained, the furniture was old, the bathroom dated. The hotel boasts free internet however it is painfully slow. You may upgrade to fast internet for a charge. We ended up moving to Hotel Okura, which I'd highly recommend.

Room Tip: Hotel Okura
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your information on your stay in our hotel. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and I very much regret that we did not succeed. I appreciate the feedback and discussed it with all the departments involved to make sure that this situation will not occur again in the future. Please also contact us at Amstel@ihg.com so we can discuss any additional details regarding your stay. This would be very much appreciated by me.

Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel when we visited Amsterdam for a long weekend and we absolutely loved it! It is everything a Hotel InterContinental is supposed to be and more. We had a large room with a bathroom that seemed to go on forever. The bed was so comfortable and I slept so well each night. The staff was very friendly and helpful with recommendations and even getting us tickets to the local museums. The location is very close to the subway making it super easy to get in to the city center or where ever else you need to go. I would gladly stay at this hotel again on future trips to this city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review, your feedback on your stay is highly appreciated by me. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to live up to your expectations and more. I will share your compliments with our team, since delivering high standard service is something we take real proud in. We all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Anita Bos

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!