“Thank you for hospitality!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Kiev, Ukraine
“Thank you for hospitality!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I spend 2 nights at Intercontinental Amstel (Amsterdam) in December 2013. I must confess, it was a greet time. The hotel is located in the city center (quite part of Amsterdam). If you prefer a rambling, the location will be perfect (app. 25-30 minutes walking distance to the heart of the city, Dum sq.). You are able to jogging, cycling or just walk along channels whole days. The hotel is a pearl among Intercontinental hotels. The guests are able to stay in an antique building, in unique rooms with a perfect and top-notch service. All staffs are professional hoteliers and make one absolutely feel they're all welcome here. The swimming pool deserves a high praise.

Only one comments, I celebrated my birthday, but the hotel didn’t provide any complimentary cakes or fancy cake with me. I anticipated it.

In total, I had a great time at this hotel and I have no hesitation in recommending anyone who could not make up their minds where to stay.

Good picks for you, dears! ;)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you will have a very positive remembrance of your visit. Of course I will share your compliments with our team. I am sorry to hear that we did not provide you with anything for you birthday. Next time you decide to stay in Amsterdam please contact me at amstel@ihg.com, so we can arrange something nice for you. We all are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Anita Bos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We had 1 night in Amsterdam and decided to spend it in the city rather than the airport. The train from Schipol was easy and inexpensive. We arrived at 9:30 AM. Luckily our room was ready. They said we were upgraded to a suite but I am not sure it was an upgrade. I had prepaid for a jr suite on the canal. The room we received was large and very comfortable, but on the street with only a slight view of the canal. It was still a good room as we could watch the activity of the town. If you want a quieter room I would suggest insisting on a canal room. The room had a very large bath room with seperate tub and shower and heated towel rack. The pool was very nice with a coffee, tea, and juice service adjacent. The gym was small but well equipped. The location is very convient to both Central and the tram. Excellent breakfast which I added to my reservation when I booked the room. I think it was a better deal than paying at the restaurant. All and all it was an excellent stay.

Room Tip: I think the canal front rooms would be very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review of our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that your stay in Amsterdam was a great success, despite its short character. It is also wonderful to learn that you liked the location and Health Club of the Amstel hotel. Of course I will share your compliments with our team. We all are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Portsmouth, N.H.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel is in a bit out of the way, but not bad if you like to walk. The stunning hotel sits next to the river. The lobby is gorgeous. We expected the rooms to be equally as nice, they were not. I would suspect the rooms have not been renovated in 10+ years. The carpet was stained, the furniture was old, the bathroom dated. The hotel boasts free internet however it is painfully slow. You may upgrade to fast internet for a charge. We ended up moving to Hotel Okura, which I'd highly recommend.

Room Tip: Hotel Okura
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your information on your stay in our hotel. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and I very much regret that we did not succeed. I appreciate the feedback and discussed it with all the departments involved to make sure that this situation will not occur again in the future. Please also contact us at Amstel@ihg.com so we can discuss any additional details regarding your stay. This would be very much appreciated by me.

Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel when we visited Amsterdam for a long weekend and we absolutely loved it! It is everything a Hotel InterContinental is supposed to be and more. We had a large room with a bathroom that seemed to go on forever. The bed was so comfortable and I slept so well each night. The staff was very friendly and helpful with recommendations and even getting us tickets to the local museums. The location is very close to the subway making it super easy to get in to the city center or where ever else you need to go. I would gladly stay at this hotel again on future trips to this city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review, your feedback on your stay is highly appreciated by me. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to live up to your expectations and more. I will share your compliments with our team, since delivering high standard service is something we take real proud in. We all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the InterContinental Amstel for 2 nights in October. We are Priority Club platinum card holders and the stay was booked on points.

I was in town to run the Amsterdam marathon and we always try to stay at InterContinental hotels where possible and this one did not disappoint.

The building itself is stunning - inside and out - and it is located in a nice part of town with one side directly on the canal. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite on the canal side which was a great way to start the trip.

Our room was big, airy and had all the amenities one would expect, including an Illy coffee machine.

I was in town to run the Amsterdam marathon and the staff at the hotel really went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. The manager set up a hand written note to wish me luck (along with a couple Redbulls to “give me wings”) and the night before the race, the restaurant pulled together a custom order of spaghetti & meatballs, a classic pre-race meal. My partners family had organized for a bottle of champagne to be sent to my room post race and the hotel pulled this off in a very classy way.

The hotel has very nice options for drinking, dining and high tea, and in the summer months, the patio on the canal would be hard to beat.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone, it is first class.

Room Tip: Definitely try to stay on the canal side, the view is amazing.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we succeed in making your stay as comfortable as possible while you were preparing for the Amsterdam Marathon.
It is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service and I will definitely share your compliments with our team, delivering high standard service is something we take real proud in.
We are all looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam, we hope to encourage you for a second time during the next Amsterdam marathon.

Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was staying in this hotel with my dad. The room was spacious and very cozy. The room we stayed in was suit. I highly recommend to visit swimming pool in the evening. Candle lightning, canal view.. Just perfect. One disadvantage is it quite far from the city center.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice compliments on tripadvisor. It is wonderful to learn that you stay in Amsterdam was great success and that the room lived up to your expectations. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the swimming pool, it is something we are really proud of. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We arrived at the Amstel Hotel and were immediately amazed by the exterior of this beautiful building. We were greeted by friendly and helpful staff at reception. We were welcomed with a glass of champagne. Upon checking in we found our room to be very comfortable and clean, with a beautiful view of the canal. After dropping off our suitcases, we returned downstairs to seek advice from reception as we were at a bit of a loose end for something to do for the afternoon. We were helped out by a very friendly young girl named Lisa who kindly offered some suggestions for local sightseeing and transport advice. We asked Lisa if there was anywhere she could recommend where we could eat that same evening and she suggested we return to the hotel restaurant as she highly recommended the food. Lisa also suggested that if we were tired after our travel we might consider the hotel spa. We opted to go out, and after an afternoon sightseeing through Amsterdam we took her advice and went back that evening to enjoy what turned out to be a fantastic meal in the hotel restaurant. The following day we woke up well rested and went downstairs for a delicious breakfast. We then decided to try out the hotel spa and enjoyed a relaxing jacuzzi and swim. We very much enjoyed our stay and can highly recommend the Intercontinental Amstel Hotel to anybody.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is a great pleasure to read that you’re your stay with us was a great success. It is also great to learn that you feel you received attentive service from our front office lady, I will definitely share your compliments with our team. Thank you for the compliments on our health club, it is something we are really proud of. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Anita Bos

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!