“perfect hotel in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #31 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“perfect hotel in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the InterContinental Amstel for 2 nights in October. We are Priority Club platinum card holders and the stay was booked on points.

I was in town to run the Amsterdam marathon and we always try to stay at InterContinental hotels where possible and this one did not disappoint.

The building itself is stunning - inside and out - and it is located in a nice part of town with one side directly on the canal. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite on the canal side which was a great way to start the trip.

Our room was big, airy and had all the amenities one would expect, including an Illy coffee machine.

I was in town to run the Amsterdam marathon and the staff at the hotel really went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. The manager set up a hand written note to wish me luck (along with a couple Redbulls to “give me wings”) and the night before the race, the restaurant pulled together a custom order of spaghetti & meatballs, a classic pre-race meal. My partners family had organized for a bottle of champagne to be sent to my room post race and the hotel pulled this off in a very classy way.

The hotel has very nice options for drinking, dining and high tea, and in the summer months, the patio on the canal would be hard to beat.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone, it is first class.

Room Tip: Definitely try to stay on the canal side, the view is amazing.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we succeed in making your stay as comfortable as possible while you were preparing for the Amsterdam Marathon.
It is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service and I will definitely share your compliments with our team, delivering high standard service is something we take real proud in.
We are all looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam, we hope to encourage you for a second time during the next Amsterdam marathon.

415 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kiev, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was staying in this hotel with my dad. The room was spacious and very cozy. The room we stayed in was suit. I highly recommend to visit swimming pool in the evening. Candle lightning, canal view.. Just perfect. One disadvantage is it quite far from the city center.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice compliments on tripadvisor. It is wonderful to learn that you stay in Amsterdam was great success and that the room lived up to your expectations. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed the swimming pool, it is something we are really proud of. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We arrived at the Amstel Hotel and were immediately amazed by the exterior of this beautiful building. We were greeted by friendly and helpful staff at reception. We were welcomed with a glass of champagne. Upon checking in we found our room to be very comfortable and clean, with a beautiful view of the canal. After dropping off our suitcases, we returned downstairs to seek advice from reception as we were at a bit of a loose end for something to do for the afternoon. We were helped out by a very friendly young girl named Lisa who kindly offered some suggestions for local sightseeing and transport advice. We asked Lisa if there was anywhere she could recommend where we could eat that same evening and she suggested we return to the hotel restaurant as she highly recommended the food. Lisa also suggested that if we were tired after our travel we might consider the hotel spa. We opted to go out, and after an afternoon sightseeing through Amsterdam we took her advice and went back that evening to enjoy what turned out to be a fantastic meal in the hotel restaurant. The following day we woke up well rested and went downstairs for a delicious breakfast. We then decided to try out the hotel spa and enjoyed a relaxing jacuzzi and swim. We very much enjoyed our stay and can highly recommend the Intercontinental Amstel Hotel to anybody.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. It is a great pleasure to read that you’re your stay with us was a great success. It is also great to learn that you feel you received attentive service from our front office lady, I will definitely share your compliments with our team. Thank you for the compliments on our health club, it is something we are really proud of. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

den bosch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a large suite with a view at the Amstel-river. That was great.
We had some drinks at the A-bar and the interior of this new bar was great too. But I guess that's it.

The staff wasn't what you can expect in a 5-star-hotel. It has the looks of a real high quality hotel but it is not (anymore?). Before booking we experienced some problems because the people of the reservation never called us back. We had some questions because we liked to book 3 special rooms, for us and two other couples, and we also wanted them to organize a salon-boat with dinner, and tickets for Carre-theater. Reservations never called us back so we kept on calling them, but in the end after quite some effort our site, the rooms were booked, and the boat and the theater too.
When we arrived no one knew about the boat, and the tickets of Carre were nowhere to be found.
After quite a search they finally found them so we were happy and took off in the boat.

Later that evening we were in the A-bar and there we experienced again the lack of service in a few ways. This is definitely not a high quality 5-star-hotel, that's for sure.

The bed was okay but nothing special, we found the duvet rather poor, the shower wasn't ideal, the breakfast was fine but 3 of the 6 ordered eggs were not properly cooked, at least not the way we liked/asked them to be, but.... ofcourse the building and the history of the hotel is impressive and this sort of made up for the bad organization.
Fun for once, back to the Dylan Hotel next time!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear guest,

I very much regret that we did not succeed in delivering you the perfect service and I offer you our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. I discussed the situation and your entire story with all the staff members involved, to make sure that similar situations will not occur in the future. I kindly ask you to contact me through Amstel@ihg.com so we can discuss any additional details regarding your stay. This would be very much appreciated by me. I thank you very much in advance.

Pacifica, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

This hotel is old and beautiful, the history is fantastic, location is great in Amsterdam.

It is nice to read all these reviews about 'large rooms', they must have paid a fortune. because the Executive room pre paid price was 444eu per night with a canal view. (ouch) The room we received was so small and not adequate even for a 3 night stay. There was absolutely NO drawers or shelves for anything to unpack. The closet was so small, and the hangars so big the door was not able to be closed, this was a challenge because the light will not turn off unless the door is closed. Our suitcases were blocking our walk way to the bathroom, the chair by the desk had to be moved into the little foyer, which blocked the door, which was a fire hazard and a safety issue if there was any evacuation necessary. The bed was incredibly saggy which ruined the beautiful comfort of the lovely sheets. The bathtub and shower were great, however it is not easy to find any electrical outlet in the bathroom, so I had to dry my hair near the desk, wall outlet.

When room service brought our meal, they brought a tray and since there is no table to sit around, eating on our laps was ridiculous, at a 5 star hotel, not even a rolling table?

The room had not been completely serviced there was an empty bottle of Scotch and realized the amenities were not restocked by the time we checked in. Additionally, we were charged for the replacement of these items, I checked the bill twice prior to check out and have them refund items that we did not use. The accounting for the room was also not done correctly so we had to (also) correct them on this. Everything worked out in the end, but for the price of these rooms and the 5 star rating, we were not impressed, at all.

I could have stayed at a Best Western or Holiday in and had a larger more comfortable room. Overall, this was a 3 star experience, I am sorry to say. Now, I can say, I stayed at the Amstel, and will never stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear guest ,

Thank you very much for your information on your stay. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and we all very much regret that we did not succeed. Please accept our sincere apologies. We appreciate the feedback and we will discuss them with all departments involved to make sure that this will not happen again in the future. We will make the necessary adjustments. Please also contact us at Amstel@ihg.com so we can discuss any additional details regarding your stay. This would be very much appreciated by me. I thank you in advance for contacting us.
Sincerely
Reigate
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

A romantic break to Amsterdam was ruined by the receptionist at this supposedly top Dutch hotel.

I booked the much more expensive executive "river view" room to spoil my wife with our stay in Amsterdam.
Also to mention this is low season with low occupancy in mid November

The receptionist allocated a room next to elevator on 1st floor with a "view" of the river blocked by roof of an extension room below us, and our room position on top op their club disco, which has bass drums booming into our room until very late.

I am a loyalty programme member of this hotel chain.

Reception could not have chosen to put us in a worst position in this hotel.

My question is "Why"

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your information on your stay in our hotel. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and we all very much regret that you are not completely satisfied. We offer you our sincere apologies for the situation that has occurred and kindly ask you to inform us on situations like this during your stay in order to give us the opportunity to find a proper solution. However we appreciate your feedback and we have discussed the situation with our front desk. Whenever I can be of any service to you please contact me via amstel@ihg.com.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Very helpful staff particularly the Concierge staff who organised trips for us. The trips on the canals both in the day and the night time dinner cruise on the hotel boat were a highlight. Great restaurant. Very comfortable rooms. Particularly appreciated the espresso machine in our room. We were attending a Seminar in the hotel as well and the hotel did a great job. We can highly recommend. The provision of treats in the lobby was a nice touch.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that both the canal trips were a great success. Also it is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service especially from the Concierge. It’s something our staff takes great pride in. I will pass your compliments on to them. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Anita Bos

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!