This hotel is old and beautiful, the history is fantastic, location is great in Amsterdam.
It is nice to read all these reviews about 'large rooms', they must have paid a fortune. because the Executive room pre paid price was 444eu per night with a canal view. (ouch) The room we received was so small and not adequate even for a 3 night stay. There was absolutely NO drawers or shelves for anything to unpack. The closet was so small, and the hangars so big the door was not able to be closed, this was a challenge because the light will not turn off unless the door is closed. Our suitcases were blocking our walk way to the bathroom, the chair by the desk had to be moved into the little foyer, which blocked the door, which was a fire hazard and a safety issue if there was any evacuation necessary. The bed was incredibly saggy which ruined the beautiful comfort of the lovely sheets. The bathtub and shower were great, however it is not easy to find any electrical outlet in the bathroom, so I had to dry my hair near the desk, wall outlet.
When room service brought our meal, they brought a tray and since there is no table to sit around, eating on our laps was ridiculous, at a 5 star hotel, not even a rolling table?
The room had not been completely serviced there was an empty bottle of Scotch and realized the amenities were not restocked by the time we checked in. Additionally, we were charged for the replacement of these items, I checked the bill twice prior to check out and have them refund items that we did not use. The accounting for the room was also not done correctly so we had to (also) correct them on this. Everything worked out in the end, but for the price of these rooms and the 5 star rating, we were not impressed, at all.
I could have stayed at a Best Western or Holiday in and had a larger more comfortable room. Overall, this was a 3 star experience, I am sorry to say. Now, I can say, I stayed at the Amstel, and will never stay there again.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel
- Intercontinental Amsterdam
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal CarrÃ© Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Otel, HotelsNL, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Agoda so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.