“A very, very good hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #30 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“A very, very good hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel is quite gloriously situated on the banks of the main Amsterdam Canal, whose name espcapes me, perhaps a little far from the museums, if this your particular enthusiasm, for comfort but one really should not be too picky. The rooms are quite glorious, the beds reach a new superhuman level of comfort and the staff have that very Dutch quality of treating you as a member of Planet Earth without ever straying into too intimate a relationship. Breakfast is marvellous, the swimming pool breathtaking and the entrance hall a throwback to the ancien siecle. As General Macarthur pointed out, 'I'll be back'.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments, it is a great pleasure to learn that your stay in Amsterdam was a great success. Delivering high standard service is something our staff takes great pride in and I will definitely pass your compliments on to them. I would be delighted to welcome you again in our hotel on the banks of the Amstel. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Kind regards,

414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My first surprise was the upgrade upon my arrival. The room was big and well appointed. I had a view of the canal. I loved the free mini bar, the large bathroom with separate shower, the robes, the friendly service of the staff. I had my meals in the little bar cafe, perfect for a lone traveller. They made me feel very welcome. The location is right in the middle of the tourist travel areas,walked to the canal boats, the hop off-hop on bus, the local coffee shop, and central station. The staff was very accommodating and interested in my well being. I am glad I found and stayed at this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with us. It is a great pleasure to learn that you had a truly remarkable stay with us and that you feel you received attentive service. I will share your nice compliments with our staff members. Thank you again and we all are looking forward to welcome you back in Amsterdam.

Sincerely
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The Amstel is one of the best hotels in Amsterdam and Europe for a reason. They know service like no other. From Anita Bos the GM all the way down to the Housekeeping staff this property is run like a true world class hotel should be run. The guest is always right! Place this world class customer service in a truly grand historic building on the banks of the Amstel River and you have and oasis and for this guest home away from home.

Room Tip: Top floor corner room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

My entire team is joining me to thank you very much for your nice compliments and review on the hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that enjoyed your stay with us and that you feel you received high standard service. It’s something we take great pride in. We all are looking forward to welcome you back in your home away from home. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Ayr
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel is a true gem! Fabulous setting, excellence fro start to finish - from greeting, check in rooms, dining, meeting rooms, bar, setting, to check out. A short walk from the centre is not much of a price to pay for this lovely setting on the river. The services for meetings and guests were world class. This hotel may be old but it's standards and fixtures are up to date. The new bar area is very contemporary and comfortable.

Room Tip: The sound proof in in this hotel was outstanding. I never heard any outside noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you love the setting of the hotel. We are very proud of our new bar area and are pleased to learn that our guests share this experience. Also it is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service. It’s something our staff takes great pride in, I will pass your compliments on to them. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam is truly my favorite place to stay at during my regular visits to A'dam. The Amstel hotel is a classic hotel on the banks of the Amstel river, being the only classic and 'royal' hotel left in Amsterdam. This hotel features all you need during a weekend break away in Amsterdam or even when you are traveling on business. The Health Club has the perfect scene and facilities to relax and recover after a long day of walking through the city. Also the fitness center is fully equipped with all that you wish for. Once you finished a good work-out you can relax in the steam bath or sauna.
We all know Amsterdam has lots of great restaurants and bars, but you might fancy grabbing a cocktail in the hotel bar. The new bar is a total added value to the hotel and the staff is very attentive. The drinks are made with local products and with flowers/spices and greens grown on the terraces of this hotel. Then there is the opportunity to enjoy the best Afternoon Tea of the Netherlands in the Lounge with great viewings over the Amstel River, or snap some dinner in the informal Brasserie. One of the highlights is La Rive, the only Restaurant in Amsterdam being in the top 10 Restaurants in the Netherlands. All in all, a hotel with great amenities and facilities, a must to stay at when coming to Amsterdam. The staff is lovely and very welcoming, from Concierge to Reception and Housekeeping to Security.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

We highly appreciate that you took the time to share you experiences with us. Thank you so much for the nice compliments. We are happy to learn that you experienced the different facilities throughout the hotel and that you enjoyed them. It is our pleasure to make your stay in Amsterdam each time a memorable one. We are really proud of our new A bar, and it is a great pleasure to learn that you share this feeling. Also it is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service, it is something our staff takes great pride in and I will pass your compliments on to them. Again thank you for your nice compliments and we hope we may welcome you back in Amsterdam.
In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Sincerely
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

The hotel has been redone and is certainly in the modern age but with old world charm. The front desk is hit or miss, there were some folks who were outstanding and some who were cold and indifferent. The room was large and well appointed but the mattresses needs replacement desperately. The view of the river was outstanding. The Brasserie was good but somehow whenever you walk in, the staff informs you that there may or may not be a table available, even if almost every table is empty. The concierge was very helpful with cars and resturant reservations but be careful if you seek out a guide of the city, we ended up working with a very nice man who was basically a driver, limited information on the city or it's history. The best group was room service, ordered breakfast everyday and delivery took less then 10 minutes, was hot and perfectly presented. Well done. The Spa was excellent and the massage was outstanding.

Room Tip: Get a room with a river view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your information on your stay in our hotel. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and we regret that not every team member did succeed. We will discuss your comment with our front desk staff. Also our concierge will have a good look into the guides we advise to our guests.
We kindly ask you to contact us at Amstel@ihg.com so we can discuss any additional details regarding your stay. It would be great if you could provide us with the room number so we can check and replace the mattresses This would be very much appreciated by me. We all hope we may welcome you back in Amsterdam.

Suwanee, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I want to sincerely thank the entire staff at the Intercontinental Amsterdam Hotel for a truly amazing anniversary stay. The customer service and attention was nothing short of phenomenal!

Upon arrival to the hotel we were greeted by a fantastic bell staff who immediately handled our luggage. Then stepping into the hotel, my wife and I were in awe of the beautiful entry and lobby. Quickly we were met by the front desk/reception who already knew us by our names. Check-in was a pleasure as we sat at the desk and talked about our journey. From there the concierge met with us and provided outstanding recommendations on shopping and made dinner reservations for us. When brought to our hotel room, we were overwhelmed by the room upgrade we were given that was fit for a King and Queen. There was fruit, drinks, welcome letter, etc…. that even more made our visit very personalized. We had champagne in the lounge area (behind the lobby) and lunch overlooking the canal downstairs with friends, and everything was perfect!

What separated this visit from the many hotels I stay at was the pure beauty of the hotel and the exceptional customer service and personalized attention. In MBA classes about customer service, they typically use Harvard Business Review examples of the Ritz Carlton. I can tell you from my many stays at the Ritz, that the Intercontinental Amsterdam Staff level of service is even better. Perhaps they should write a “new book” on providing excellent service!

I want to point out to the readers that I’m in many travel programs with several different hotels. I highly recommend you join the Intercontinental Ambassador Program prior to your visit as I’m sure you will find it well worth the membership fee.

To the entire Intercontinental Amsterdam Hotel Staff, I say “thank you, thank you, thank you”!!! You made our 28th Wedding Anniversary a lifetime fantastic memorable stay! My wife and I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: I recommend you join the Ambassador Program and get your upgrade to a room overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your exceptional nice compliments. We are delighted that our guests appreciate our delivered service so much, that they even write such a lovely review about our hotel. It is a great pleasure to learn that we could help to make your 28th Wedding Anniversary a memorable one. We all hope we may welcome you back for your 29th Anniversary next year. I will share your compliments with our team, delivering personalized and attentive service is something they take great pride in. Again thank you for your compliments and we are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Anita Bos

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!