“A Truly Amazing 28th Wedding Anniversary Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #24 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Suwanee, Georgia
“A Truly Amazing 28th Wedding Anniversary Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I want to sincerely thank the entire staff at the Intercontinental Amsterdam Hotel for a truly amazing anniversary stay. The customer service and attention was nothing short of phenomenal!

Upon arrival to the hotel we were greeted by a fantastic bell staff who immediately handled our luggage. Then stepping into the hotel, my wife and I were in awe of the beautiful entry and lobby. Quickly we were met by the front desk/reception who already knew us by our names. Check-in was a pleasure as we sat at the desk and talked about our journey. From there the concierge met with us and provided outstanding recommendations on shopping and made dinner reservations for us. When brought to our hotel room, we were overwhelmed by the room upgrade we were given that was fit for a King and Queen. There was fruit, drinks, welcome letter, etc…. that even more made our visit very personalized. We had champagne in the lounge area (behind the lobby) and lunch overlooking the canal downstairs with friends, and everything was perfect!

What separated this visit from the many hotels I stay at was the pure beauty of the hotel and the exceptional customer service and personalized attention. In MBA classes about customer service, they typically use Harvard Business Review examples of the Ritz Carlton. I can tell you from my many stays at the Ritz, that the Intercontinental Amsterdam Staff level of service is even better. Perhaps they should write a “new book” on providing excellent service!

I want to point out to the readers that I’m in many travel programs with several different hotels. I highly recommend you join the Intercontinental Ambassador Program prior to your visit as I’m sure you will find it well worth the membership fee.

To the entire Intercontinental Amsterdam Hotel Staff, I say “thank you, thank you, thank you”!!! You made our 28th Wedding Anniversary a lifetime fantastic memorable stay! My wife and I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: I recommend you join the Ambassador Program and get your upgrade to a room overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your exceptional nice compliments. We are delighted that our guests appreciate our delivered service so much, that they even write such a lovely review about our hotel. It is a great pleasure to learn that we could help to make your 28th Wedding Anniversary a memorable one. We all hope we may welcome you back for your 29th Anniversary next year. I will share your compliments with our team, delivering personalized and attentive service is something they take great pride in. Again thank you for your compliments and we are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.

Anita Bos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We have the joy to stay at The Amstel again for the fourth time.
As we already know what a great hotel this is, we even more looking forward to our stay again.

We can't wait to explore the new bar and the renovated Spa, wich is always great to great to relax after a long day of sightseeing Amsterdam.
As we are going to stay here on jan 2 for two nights, what a great way to start 2014!

See you in a few months time.

Kind regards,
Tonny van Zelm

Room Tip: We upgraded to a junior suite, these suites are big and have a great view on the Amstel river.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments. It is a great pleasure to learn that you will return to the hotel. If we can be of any service to you for you upcoming stay, or anything we need to be aware of, please let us know through amstel@ihg.com. We are delighted to welcome you again in the hotel and will roll out the red carpet for you with much pleasure, to make your start of 2014 a perfect one. Thank you again and we are all looking forward to welcome you again on the 2nd of January.

Bury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We had a very enjoyable 3 nights. The staff were so polite and helpful and did not leave you in a quandary. Food excellent. The pool and spa were splendid and the help from the Spa staff was part of the experience. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for on overlooking the River Amstel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate the fact that you took time to share your experiences with us. We are pleased to learn that your stay with us was a great success and that you feel you received high standard service. It’s something our staff takes great pride in. I will pass your compliments on to them. Thank you again and we all are looking forward to welcome you back in Amsterdam.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Fabulous hotel ...with the most perfect pillows ! Spent 3 nights in this hotel for a long weekend break and couldn't have wished for a better stay ..great staff , beautiful building , great views ...just had the best of times and would certainly return !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your nice compliments, I will share them with all our staff members involved. We are very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your long weekend break in Amsterdam. Thank you again and we all are looking forward to welcome you back.

Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Everything in the hotel was fabulous. I did not have anything to grumble about the first time in a hotel :D it is a little bit outside the center but you can reach the main square in 15 min walk.
Breakfasts in the hotel are very fine and the stuff is not annoying. However, maybe 1 negative comment - is that they blocked the quote of my staty on my card with no reason while my reservation was fully prepaid. But still they permitted later checkout (14:00 instead of 12:00) for free. I have good memories after this stay definitely! :)
P.S. swimming pool is smaller than it is on pictures and gym is tiny but you can enjoy snacks and coffee/tea there

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate the fact that you took time to share your experiences with us. Thank you very much for your nice compliments, we will share them with our staff members involved. We are pleased to learn that your first time in a hotel was a great success. Thank you again and we all are looking forward to welcome you back in Amsterdam.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I spent a weekend here an at first was a bit unsure of the location as I've previously stayed much closer to the train station side of the city - however it wasn't far at all to walk and in fact I really appreciated the opportunity to see a bit more of the day-to-day Amsterdam that staying her affords.
The staff were wonderfully welcoming and i had a beautiful suite overlooking the cafe across the road - I'd actually booked a river view room but chose the upgrade as I didn't intend on spending my trip staring out of the window lol
The hotel has a beautiful and elegant style and feels very special - striking the right balance between exclusivity without feeling arogantly posh - that's largely down to the staff who are great.
Can't wait to return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for putting such a nice review on Tripadvisor, I highly appreciate it. We are all very pleased to learn that your stay with us was a great success and that you, despite your first impression, enjoyed the location of the hotel. Also it is wonderful that you feel you received attentive service from the staff. It’s something our team takes great pride in. I will pass your compliments on to them. Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this grand hotel. The staff was wonderful and accommodating, we really like the special touches like the turn down service and jogging map.
I was thrilled when our shuttle from the airport pulled up in front of this beautiful hotel.
One note regarding transportation from Schiphol, we called the hotel prior to our stay inquire if they had a shuttle, which they do not. I found info online for Schiphol Hotel shuttle Connexxion, which worked out great, was very convenient and less expensive than a taxi. We used the same shuttle for our trip back to the airport. I would like to have stayed much longer in this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate the fact that you took time to share your experiences with us. Thank you very much for your nice compliments, I will definitely share them with our team. It is good to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would have liked to stay longer in the hotel.
Unfortunately we don’t have our own private hotel shuttle service, but our guest can use the services of the Schiphol Hotel Shuttle Connexxion. I will make sure that our guests will be informed correctly as of today.
It was a great pleasure to welcome you in our hotel and we all are looking forward to welcome you back in Amsterdam.

Anita Bos

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!