“The excellence...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, Amsterdam 1018 GX, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
riyadh
“The excellence...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Splendid experience. The service is just perfect, the staff is courteous and very professional. The hotel is splendid, and the lounge with the terrasse is just great, We had a very nice drink on the terrasse along the river.. The hotel is also very well located, 10 mn walking distance from the city center...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate the fact that you took time to share your experiences with us. Thank you very much for your nice compliments, we will share them with our staff members involved. We are pleased to learn that your visit was a succes. Thank you again and we all are looking forward to welcome you back in Amsterdam.

386 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My Husband and I arrived at the hotel to unfriendly front of desk manager who managed to bungle up the payment. We were then showed to our room which we did not reserve, my husband was promised another room on a different floor. We were not looking for problems as we had come to see our son. All I can say is upstairs the staff was very unfriendly but Downstairs at the restaurants they were very very friendly with fantastic service and fantastic food.
The new bar area was fabulous and great music. On the other hand the hotels exterior really needs a scrape down and paint. Our room was ok and not really worth the price we were paying.
They need to do those up as well "very musty". But we still enjoyed our stay.......

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to put your review on tripadvisor, we really appreciate your effort. I regret to hear of the disappointments experienced during your stay. I do hope that we were informed of your difficulties and given the opportunity to find a solution for you. Our goal is to deliver the perfect service and we all very much regret that we did not succeed. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Plano, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

What a beautiful city and a beautiful hotel. It's a great walkable city and everything is at your fingertips. The hotel was amazing and overlooks the canal. Service and food was really good. Don't forget to try the pancakes.

We just missed the tulips in early June, I would recommend visiting in late April or early May so you can see all of the beautiful flowers in the parks and gardens.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for you nice review. It is a great pleasure to learn that your stay in Amsterdam was a great success and that you enjoyed the received service. I will pass your compliments to our staff members. We are looking forward to welcome you again in Amsterdam, hopefully you will be able to see the beauty of our parks and gardens next time!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stunning location, exceptional service, beautiful place, top of the art service. If you are looking for something definitely problem free, this is the place you want to be.

Everything is perfect from the service to the food.

A must try also the SPA and the terrace bar over the Amstel

Room Tip: Soewhere where everybody would like to stay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your nice review of our hotel. We really appreciate the fact that you took the time to put your comment on tripadvisor. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you received the high standard service we stand for. I will pass your compliments to our staff. We all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Ask any Dutch local, and they will tell you that The Amstel is the Grande Dame of Amsterdam hotels. It is now, and always has been THE place to stay for Heads of State, celebrities, and discerning international travelers. We have been frequent guests for the past 17 years, and have come to regard it as our home away from home. It is sheer elegance - the rooms, service, spa and restaurants are world class. The lounge and canalside patio are simultaneously serene and hip. The Concierge staff is the gold standard in the city- highly knowledgeable, professional and welcoming. It is a true destination experience and a jewel not to be missed!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear guest,

We highly appreciate the fact that you took the time to put your comment on tripadvisor. Many thanks for the nice compliments. We will pass it through to our staff members. We are really looking forward to welcome you again in your “home away from home”.

Bay Shore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

One of my favorite hotels in the world. Wonderful staff and service. Rooms are large and beautifully decorated with wonderful views of the river and city. Restaurant has excellent food and wait staff. As long as you don't mind the 10 minute walk into town this is the hotel to stay at. Being a little distance from downtown also makes it quieter and less crowded.

• Stayed August 2013
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review, we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your
stay with us in Amsterdam! We also think that it has its benefits just to be a 10 minute walk away
from the buzzling city, every day we enjoy our beautiful view on the Amstel River! Hope to welcome you again soon!
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I recently spent several nights in a river view room. As part of the same vacation, I had previously stayed at the grandest old hotels in Stockholm and Helsinki. The Amstel is the lowest rated of the three on Tripadvisor, and I've been giving some thought as to why.

The hotel is physically beautiful and very well maintained. Housekeeping was excellent. The gym and pool area are fine by hotel standards.

The Executive Room was decent sized, the bed and pillows were quite comfortable and the air conditioning worked perfectly and quietly. The view of the river is fine. On the negative side, I could hear what sounded like walking in the room above late into the night, and I was woken up by something several times during my stay. I was put next to an elevator, but I'm not sure it was that. You could also hear doors slamming when people came in after midnight.

The vast majority of the staff are pleasant and courteous, however there were one or two rotten apples who could spoil the experience. Sometimes, a person who I reached at reception was unpleasant.

The breakfast buffet was quite nice. There was a decent selection and the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, especially one nice young man (I'm sorry I don't remember the name). I rarely saw many people having the breakfast (perhaps because of the price), which perhaps accounts for the selection--which was more limited than those offered by the other grand hotels I stayed out, but where many more people could be seen eating there.

I had dinner at La Rive one evening. The food was very good, but I found one of the wait staff (not a Dutch person incidentally) unpleasant. When I came in, there were no other diners and he tried to put me at a table as far from the windows overlooking the river as possible. I considered just walking out, but asked to be moved--which he did after making a bit of a fuss. Someone else waited on me after that so the evening was a success.

The head concierge is a great gentleman--really knowledgeable, pleasant and without any attitude. The hotel is fortunate to have him.

The Amstel is located about 20 minutes from the core center of the city and some might think the location is a minus. I don't mind walking and I think it's a plus. The center of the city is jammed with hawkers and tourists and you really don't want to spend more than a day there. The big museums are not in the core center and it would be just as much of a walk if you stayed at one of the more "central" hotels. As it is, the Amstel's location is quieter and you're just 10 minutes away from some really nice shopping streets with wonderful cafes, restaurants and bars.

Maybe it was just me, but I didn't see very many people in the hotel even though it was August and presumably the tourist season. I can't say why either, but it seemed that quite a few of the tourists I saw were a bit obnoxious and entitled (and I note again that I've stayed at quite a few other grand old hotels in my travels). This is obviously not the hotel's fault, and the vast majority of the hotel staff are friendly and without a trace of attitude. Still, It's a matter I noted.

Room Tip: Perhaps you need to be on the top floor and away from elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We will pass on the compliments to our staff members involved. We're sorry to hear that you had some inconvenience with the noise in your room, next time you will visit remind us and we will make sure you will have a nice room and not close to any elevators. Also we very much appreciate all the details in your review; these details help us improve our hotel in many ways. We are looking forward to welcome you again in our quiet part of the city centre of Amsterdam!

Anita Bos

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!