“You can not go over it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“You can not go over it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stunning location, exceptional service, beautiful place, top of the art service. If you are looking for something definitely problem free, this is the place you want to be.

Everything is perfect from the service to the food.

A must try also the SPA and the terrace bar over the Amstel

Room Tip: Soewhere where everybody would like to stay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your nice review of our hotel. We really appreciate the fact that you took the time to put your comment on tripadvisor. It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you received the high standard service we stand for. I will pass your compliments to our staff. We all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.

430 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Ask any Dutch local, and they will tell you that The Amstel is the Grande Dame of Amsterdam hotels. It is now, and always has been THE place to stay for Heads of State, celebrities, and discerning international travelers. We have been frequent guests for the past 17 years, and have come to regard it as our home away from home. It is sheer elegance - the rooms, service, spa and restaurants are world class. The lounge and canalside patio are simultaneously serene and hip. The Concierge staff is the gold standard in the city- highly knowledgeable, professional and welcoming. It is a true destination experience and a jewel not to be missed!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear guest,

We highly appreciate the fact that you took the time to put your comment on tripadvisor. Many thanks for the nice compliments. We will pass it through to our staff members. We are really looking forward to welcome you again in your “home away from home”.

Bay Shore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

One of my favorite hotels in the world. Wonderful staff and service. Rooms are large and beautifully decorated with wonderful views of the river and city. Restaurant has excellent food and wait staff. As long as you don't mind the 10 minute walk into town this is the hotel to stay at. Being a little distance from downtown also makes it quieter and less crowded.

• Stayed August 2013
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review, we are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your
stay with us in Amsterdam! We also think that it has its benefits just to be a 10 minute walk away
from the buzzling city, every day we enjoy our beautiful view on the Amstel River! Hope to welcome you again soon!
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I recently spent several nights in a river view room. As part of the same vacation, I had previously stayed at the grandest old hotels in Stockholm and Helsinki. The Amstel is the lowest rated of the three on Tripadvisor, and I've been giving some thought as to why.

The hotel is physically beautiful and very well maintained. Housekeeping was excellent. The gym and pool area are fine by hotel standards.

The Executive Room was decent sized, the bed and pillows were quite comfortable and the air conditioning worked perfectly and quietly. The view of the river is fine. On the negative side, I could hear what sounded like walking in the room above late into the night, and I was woken up by something several times during my stay. I was put next to an elevator, but I'm not sure it was that. You could also hear doors slamming when people came in after midnight.

The vast majority of the staff are pleasant and courteous, however there were one or two rotten apples who could spoil the experience. Sometimes, a person who I reached at reception was unpleasant.

The breakfast buffet was quite nice. There was a decent selection and the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, especially one nice young man (I'm sorry I don't remember the name). I rarely saw many people having the breakfast (perhaps because of the price), which perhaps accounts for the selection--which was more limited than those offered by the other grand hotels I stayed out, but where many more people could be seen eating there.

I had dinner at La Rive one evening. The food was very good, but I found one of the wait staff (not a Dutch person incidentally) unpleasant. When I came in, there were no other diners and he tried to put me at a table as far from the windows overlooking the river as possible. I considered just walking out, but asked to be moved--which he did after making a bit of a fuss. Someone else waited on me after that so the evening was a success.

The head concierge is a great gentleman--really knowledgeable, pleasant and without any attitude. The hotel is fortunate to have him.

The Amstel is located about 20 minutes from the core center of the city and some might think the location is a minus. I don't mind walking and I think it's a plus. The center of the city is jammed with hawkers and tourists and you really don't want to spend more than a day there. The big museums are not in the core center and it would be just as much of a walk if you stayed at one of the more "central" hotels. As it is, the Amstel's location is quieter and you're just 10 minutes away from some really nice shopping streets with wonderful cafes, restaurants and bars.

Maybe it was just me, but I didn't see very many people in the hotel even though it was August and presumably the tourist season. I can't say why either, but it seemed that quite a few of the tourists I saw were a bit obnoxious and entitled (and I note again that I've stayed at quite a few other grand old hotels in my travels). This is obviously not the hotel's fault, and the vast majority of the hotel staff are friendly and without a trace of attitude. Still, It's a matter I noted.

Room Tip: Perhaps you need to be on the top floor and away from elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We will pass on the compliments to our staff members involved. We're sorry to hear that you had some inconvenience with the noise in your room, next time you will visit remind us and we will make sure you will have a nice room and not close to any elevators. Also we very much appreciate all the details in your review; these details help us improve our hotel in many ways. We are looking forward to welcome you again in our quiet part of the city centre of Amsterdam!

Marin County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Extremely helpful concierge service.

Amazing pool and spa that looks out onto the river. Included in room price, where juices and simple snacks are available, which were very welcome after sightseeing on hot days. The spa has a shower room with a variety of high-end shower types that were fun to try.

The building and rooms are impressive old world luxury.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your nice review. It is a great pleasure to learn that your stay in
Amsterdam was a success. We will pass your compliments to the staff members
involved. Also many thanks for the nice compliments about our health club. We are all
really happy with the renovation and really proud of the end result!
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a classic, beautiful hotel. The staff are fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble and they are both knowledgeable and thoughtful. I received much advice from the Concierge in my brief stay, and it was all fantastic.

The rooms are lovely and very comfortable. The bathrooms are large and well appointed. I join the reviewers who suggest that a canal view is worth paying for. It really is a lovely view.

The trams are very user friendly, so although this hotel is not in the centre of the city, it is very accessible.

Room Tip: Canal view if you can!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that enjoyed
your stay with us and that you liked the service of our staff!
It’s something we take great pride in. I will pass your compliments on to them.
Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

A grand hotel with good service. A bit "dusty" in comparison to the top 5 star hotels in the world. Service is up to speed. The location a bit off track, but relatively quite in comparison to other city hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel. Nice to read that you liked the
service of our staff, it is something we take great pride in.
Hope to welcome you again soon!
Anita Bos

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!