“A Critique” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Plantage & the East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #17 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
New York, New York
“A Critique”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I recently spent several nights in a river view room. As part of the same vacation, I had previously stayed at the grandest old hotels in Stockholm and Helsinki. The Amstel is the lowest rated of the three on Tripadvisor, and I've been giving some thought as to why.

The hotel is physically beautiful and very well maintained. Housekeeping was excellent. The gym and pool area are fine by hotel standards.

The Executive Room was decent sized, the bed and pillows were quite comfortable and the air conditioning worked perfectly and quietly. The view of the river is fine. On the negative side, I could hear what sounded like walking in the room above late into the night, and I was woken up by something several times during my stay. I was put next to an elevator, but I'm not sure it was that. You could also hear doors slamming when people came in after midnight.

The vast majority of the staff are pleasant and courteous, however there were one or two rotten apples who could spoil the experience. Sometimes, a person who I reached at reception was unpleasant.

The breakfast buffet was quite nice. There was a decent selection and the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, especially one nice young man (I'm sorry I don't remember the name). I rarely saw many people having the breakfast (perhaps because of the price), which perhaps accounts for the selection--which was more limited than those offered by the other grand hotels I stayed out, but where many more people could be seen eating there.

I had dinner at La Rive one evening. The food was very good, but I found one of the wait staff (not a Dutch person incidentally) unpleasant. When I came in, there were no other diners and he tried to put me at a table as far from the windows overlooking the river as possible. I considered just walking out, but asked to be moved--which he did after making a bit of a fuss. Someone else waited on me after that so the evening was a success.

The head concierge is a great gentleman--really knowledgeable, pleasant and without any attitude. The hotel is fortunate to have him.

The Amstel is located about 20 minutes from the core center of the city and some might think the location is a minus. I don't mind walking and I think it's a plus. The center of the city is jammed with hawkers and tourists and you really don't want to spend more than a day there. The big museums are not in the core center and it would be just as much of a walk if you stayed at one of the more "central" hotels. As it is, the Amstel's location is quieter and you're just 10 minutes away from some really nice shopping streets with wonderful cafes, restaurants and bars.

Maybe it was just me, but I didn't see very many people in the hotel even though it was August and presumably the tourist season. I can't say why either, but it seemed that quite a few of the tourists I saw were a bit obnoxious and entitled (and I note again that I've stayed at quite a few other grand old hotels in my travels). This is obviously not the hotel's fault, and the vast majority of the hotel staff are friendly and without a trace of attitude. Still, It's a matter I noted.

Room Tip: Perhaps you need to be on the top floor and away from elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review. We will pass on the compliments to our staff members involved. We're sorry to hear that you had some inconvenience with the noise in your room, next time you will visit remind us and we will make sure you will have a nice room and not close to any elevators. Also we very much appreciate all the details in your review; these details help us improve our hotel in many ways. We are looking forward to welcome you again in our quiet part of the city centre of Amsterdam!

Anita Bos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Marin County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Extremely helpful concierge service.

Amazing pool and spa that looks out onto the river. Included in room price, where juices and simple snacks are available, which were very welcome after sightseeing on hot days. The spa has a shower room with a variety of high-end shower types that were fun to try.

The building and rooms are impressive old world luxury.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your nice review. It is a great pleasure to learn that your stay in
Amsterdam was a success. We will pass your compliments to the staff members
involved. Also many thanks for the nice compliments about our health club. We are all
really happy with the renovation and really proud of the end result!
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is a classic, beautiful hotel. The staff are fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble and they are both knowledgeable and thoughtful. I received much advice from the Concierge in my brief stay, and it was all fantastic.

The rooms are lovely and very comfortable. The bathrooms are large and well appointed. I join the reviewers who suggest that a canal view is worth paying for. It really is a lovely view.

The trams are very user friendly, so although this hotel is not in the centre of the city, it is very accessible.

Room Tip: Canal view if you can!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that enjoyed
your stay with us and that you liked the service of our staff!
It’s something we take great pride in. I will pass your compliments on to them.
Again thank you for your compliments and we all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

A grand hotel with good service. A bit "dusty" in comparison to the top 5 star hotels in the world. Service is up to speed. The location a bit off track, but relatively quite in comparison to other city hotels.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about our hotel. Nice to read that you liked the
service of our staff, it is something we take great pride in.
Hope to welcome you again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

High Tea in the lounge of The Amstel Hotel; quality versus quantity, versus price.

The hotel is famous for accommodating the rich and famous, from Robbie Williams to Prince Charles and The Duchess Camilla. High tea was served in the most beautiful ambience with outlook onto the busy River Amstel, the main river of the Dutch capitol city of Amsterdam.

We were welcomed by very pleasant members of staff, however it had been quite a time since the uniform of our personal waiter had been to the dry cleaners!
The high tea comprised of the tiniest of tasty morsels all very,very good......however the "scones" served were not scones...more of a cross between brioche and cake, also we were not served any butter and the lemon curd was described as a sweet mayonnaise with piccalilli !!

We each were then given a tiny roll with mackerel & cucumber.....the roll was quite sweet but on the whole very moreish. We then received very tiny cakes and sweetmeats, delicious crustless sandwiches followed by 2 warm mouthfuls, the shrimp croquette was to die for. Four different types of tea was served throughout.........unfortunately we were only offered 1 cup of each......this was unfortunate as it was a hot day and a few extra cuppa's would have gone down well. The last tiny bites were rose water flavoured pink chocolate pops.......Soooooooo good.

All in all, the quality of the eats offered was excellent, the quantity was laughable, it was not sufficient even for a small child and we were not offered any extras. The whole event was disappointing considering we paid 60 euros per person . The experience of being served in The Amstel Hotel was great but not at this price. Be sure to have a substantial lunch or a good supper planned should you decide to opt for this high tea. We will not be recommending this experience to friends nor family.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for you review, we very much appreciate the fact that you took time to put your comment on tripadvisor. We are dissappointed that the experience didn't live up to your expectations. Hopefully you still enjoyed visiting our hotel and maybe see you again!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel with amazing and friendly staff. I have taken the junior suite which overlooked the canal.

The other amazing thing about this hotel is the dessert served by the hotel, I wouldn't mind traveling to Amsterdam just for the dessert!!

• Stayed May 2013
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review, always good to hear that you liked your stay with us at the InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam. The next time you will visit we will make sure you will an even nicer dessert, hope to see you again!
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great hotel, great position, great staff. I stayed here during a break in a business trip. The hotel is on one of the main canals, so in summer there is a never ending procession of water craft to enjoy.

The staff are fantastic but can appear a little abrupt at times. I think it is "Dutch" thing.

My room was large and on the top floor. It was great. Unfortunately the 1st room they allocated me was on the 2nd floor and next to a noisy lift shaft, so I declined that one.

Breakfast is great either in room or in the restaurant. Don't be too late for the restaurant as it gets full.

The walls between rooms appear a little thin and do allow noise transfer between rooms.

The foyer is a delight and the hotel arranges quality taxis on request.

I had a great stay and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing the canal and away from the lifts
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
anita b, General Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review and. It is a great pleasure to read that enjoyed your stay with us. I will of course share them with all staff members and we will all make sure that we will pay attention to the “Dutch” thing. We all hope we may welcome you again in Amsterdam. In the meantime please let me know whenever we can be of any service to you.