The Intercontinental in Amsterdam is in many ways my favorite hotel. Inside it’s calm and elegant and the service is faultless. I did overhear one older and refined guess expressing surprise when the taxi driver had explained that they were going to the Intercontinental. She was soothed by the receptionist who explained that yes, they were part of the chain,, but that this was still the Amstel.
And that I think is it. This really is a property that keeps an ageless class.
Drawbacks? Expensive of course and not exactly in the center of the city, but then you probably don’t want to be there anyway. There’s also some work going on in the hotel which involves a large crane that does nothing for the photos you will want to send your friends of the wonderful place you’re staying at.
Pluses? The public areas, the rooms, the restaurants, the Concierge, and the relaxed check in.
One thing to watch in the city – the taxis. I arrived at the Central Station from Paris and was given long, circuitous and expensive tour of the city before arriving at the hotel despite my complaints. According to the door-man they are seeing more problems. I had no issues with any taxis from the hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel
- Intercontinental Amsterdam
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal CarrÃ© Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Otel, Priceline, HotelsNL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.