We stayed here for a 50th birthday anniversary. We booked 3 rooms on points as Platinum IHG members. Staff was excellent with making the reservation.
I arranged that roses were delivered to the room. Informed the reception twice that they had to take care that the flowers would be in the room for my partner. During check in the reception told me that me and my partner had room 317 and that the flowers where in that room. When I entered the room no flowers where there. They brought them to one of the other rooms. My partner was first in another room with family and saw the flowers there, so the surprise was gone.
During making the reservation I asked if we could toast on midnight in the hotel with Champagne for the birthday. This was not a problem. When we were at midnight in the hotel the concierge told us the bar was closed we had to order champagne in our room and toast there. Friends of ours were on their way to the hotel to celebrate the 50th birthday. So we had to call them and cancel the invitation. Inviting family and friends in a hotel room is not the perfect toast for a 50th birthday.
During the day we wanted to drink coffee. The lounge was fully booked for high tea. The bar was also fully booked, but a table came in 5 minutes free. We made a reservation and had to wait in the lobby. We saw the party leaving after 5 minutes and waited for approx 25 minutes before staff would pick us up from the lobby. Nobody came to us. When we walked to the bar the table was still dirty (20 minutes after the party left). The waiter forgot us and said the table would be ready in 5 minutes. We waited again in the lobby for more then 5 minutes and walked to the bar. We noticed they still did not clean the table. We decided to sit on the dirty table. After 5 minutes they came and cleaned the table (left lot of cookie crumbs on the table).
We ordered a taxi at the concierge. He told us we had to be downstairs the exact time otherwise the taxidriver would charge more. We understood. No taxi showed up and they had to call again for a taxi. 20 minutes later we got a cab. We arrived too late on our own party because of the waiting time. Concierge had to follow up.
The room is beautiful. Not clean everywhere. Dust on the carpet. In the hall its also not very clean. Closets are not clean. You can see hands on glass for example. Room 317 is next to the staff elevator, so we heard the elevator moving. Not annoying, but we heard it early sunday morning.
Breakfast was very good. Probably we will stay again in this hotel. Car parking is EUR 65 per night. This is expensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal CarrÃ© Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, IHG, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Despegar.com and Otel so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam