“The best of Europe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, Amsterdam 1018 GX, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #31 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“The best of Europe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Amstel is one of the great hotel experiences in Europe. Everything from food, to ambiance, to architecture and decoration, to location is the best. There is only small one downside of this majestic, old-world hotel, the mini-bars are not mini. You must purchase a full size bottle of alcohol. If you would like just one drink or possibly two, you are must through away an almost full bottle. However, otherwise one of the most fabulous hotel experiences that you can imagine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

412 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Everything you could want in an elegant old world European hotel. Let's start with the pool. It's huge and one side opens to a terrace with views of the Amstel canal. The rooms are large, the bathrooms generous. The breakfast buffet is lovely and the service is impeccable. Be charmed by the concierge staff led by Aad van den Berg, who will make anything possible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thaialnd
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

First time in Amsterdam, hotel is very beautiful by looking at the river but not every room has river view. Breakfast is very good quality but also very expensive too. Some rooms are not good for senior or diable people as they have steps in the bedroom.

Room Tip: Wifi hugh speed Internet is expensive but they also have free low speed wifi too (actually is not so...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I pre-booked the hotel for a business trip, one day of meetings, the next day, entertaining clients. I checked the reviews again before I left, one was terribly negative, it placed in doubt in my mind. I stayed two days at the hotel, and my experiences with the total opposite to that reviewer.

Firstly, the only slight downside, as a Priority Club Platinum Member I was offered no upgrade, or perks whatsoever, which is usually the case in all IHG properties. Other than that (which was no big deal), my visit was perfect.

The room was spacious, spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated and furnished. The bathrooms luxurious, fully stocked, huge bathtub, and the most wonderful rainfall shower. The bed was huge and so, so comfortable. The pillow menu was not needed, as the oversized pillows were perfect.

From check-in to check out, all the staff were both friendly and very professional. The Dutch by design, are smiling, happy people and the staff here are no exception. Each and every one of them went out of their way to make our stay pleasurable. Each and every one of them succeeded.

Breakfast is taken in a restaurant overlooking the River Amstel, we watched the world float by, amazing. The breakfast selection is varied and plentiful, the staff at breakfast were very attentive.

We took high tea on the terrace, the blackberry and chocolate tart was worth the visit to Amsterdam on its own!

On the Saturday evening we arrived back from a trip to the Hague and ordered a late dinner from room service at around 10:20 PM. The food was beautifully prepared, and tasted even better.

I can honestly say this is without doubt one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, I can only give it five out of five in every department, I will always use this hotel when visiting Amsterdam.

A big thank you to everyone at the hotel, you made our stay so very special!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Canberra - Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have just spent two wonderful nights at the Amstel Hotel in Amsterdam. As platinum Priority Club members we were treated like royalty upon arrival. An upgrade to a huge top floor corner room with views along the Amstel River through the opening shutters and windows. The room was elegantly decorated in a style to suit this beautiful 150 year old building. The staff were all very attentive and genuine in their service to us during our stay. Our room was paid for with points so was extremely good value. I would recommend to anyone looking for a special stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is my first trip to Amsterdam and I am sure I will return again. The hotel was excellent and the staff went out of their way to make sure your stay was memorable. We had a beautiful room over looking the river. Luckily the sun shone in the afternoon so we went down stairs and sat on the veranda sunbathing and watching the boats go by! I only have a couple of negitive remarks which are the hotel in not in the centre of all the hussle and bussel of Amsterdam so if you like the nightlife and easy access to resturants this is not the hotel for you, but if the opposite is the case you can't fault it. The other was 2 hotel guest who shouted at me for going in the wrong door with my shoes on as it was the spa, they obvousily had the money to stay there but no manners!! should of pushed them in the river!!

On travel, if you are coming into Skipol airport you need to get a ticket for the train to Amsterdam, please make sure you are standng at the right end of the platform as 2 different trains pull in at the sation. The ticket machines are automatic and can be translated to English for easy use. When you arrive at the station the best option is a tram although it is not clear which is the best one to go on - the No 10 goes on a large loop around the city. The main ones that we used were 10 12 and 7 this will get you around easily. Go to your nearest underground station and buy tickets for the tram/bus it will cost around 12 euros for 3 days, which is excellent value for money, the same ticket system applies for this as well so easy peasy. If you fancy a boat trip don't be shy about asking a local as we did mind you he turned out to be South African ( yes Robert I am talking about you!) he owned a 1960's wooden boat, beautiful and we had a lovely tour of the canals.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Craigieburn, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I should probably start by saying that I'm a "Royal Ambassador" with the IHG Hotel chain so I usually get treated pretty well when I stay in one of their hotels. Having said that, the Amstel is one of the, if not THE, best hotel I have ever stayed in.

I was there for 3 nights to celebrate my birthday and everything was fantastic. The email communications prior to my stay, my (well, ok the car's Sat Nav) ability to find the hotel, the check in experience (not only was it polite and efficient, the girl that checked me in was simply stunning!), the room (see below), everything, it was all simply fantastic!

I usually get upgrades at InterContinentals but this time I got an Executive Suite that was a total of 4 rooms. There was an entry room, a lving room, a bedroom and a large bathroom. All were in an an "old school" Dutch style and simply screamed "luxury"! For my birthday I was given a complimentary glass of champagne, among other things.

Probably the most important part of my stay actually occurred after I left. After getting to another IC in Berlin two days after I left the Amstel, I noticed that I left several important items in my room safe when I left. These included my passports and and some cash. The Amstel not only got the items but were able to overnight them to me in Berlin without any significant issues. They even returned the cash that I had forgotten was even in the safe (too many birthday drinks)!!!

I simply can't recommend this hotel highly enough! It is a bit on the expensive side but, like they say, "You get what you pay for". If you want to stay in the best hotel in all of Holland, stay at the Amstel!

Room Tip: The hotel only has 84(?) rooms so book in advance to get a good rate. Also (like I've said in ot...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!