The Intercontinental Amstel in every sense of the phrase is a true "Grande Dame" of hotels; what a spectacular place! Old world charm best describes the look and feel of this lovely hotel. As soon as you walk into its beautiful lobby filled with gorgeous floral arrangements, you know you are in for a royal treat. I’ve stayed in hotels all over the world, but I have to say, this place is now one of my all time favorites. I can’t wait to go back for another visit!
Situated right on the banks of the Amstel River, this hotel features a Michelin star restaurant, a lounge and a bar/pub with brasserie-style menu. Their sunny glass atrium with cheerful views of the river is a great place to enjoy breakfast. And for sipping cocktails after a busy day of sightseeing, the hotel offers a beautiful terrace with fantastic views overlooking the Amstel River; a very relaxing spot to end your day.
From our personalized check-in to our personalized check-out, the staff of the Intercontinental was super friendly and polite. Bellmen, front desk staff, wait staff, room service and housekeeping staff was absolutely wonderful; they made us feel like we were at home! However, the concierge service was not as helpful as I would expect considering how attentive and professional the rest of the staff was.
Our very large room was spot-on perfect; extremely clean and comfortable and tastefully decorated. The bed, pillows and linens were luxurious; so comfortable that I just didn’t want to get out of bed when the alarm clock went off; to heck with sightseeing, I could have slept all day! The room was absolutely soundproof; what a great night’s sleep. The very specious marble bathroom was well outfitted with l’Occtane products and there was more than enough closet space to put away and hang cloths; nice having enough room to move suitcases out of sight. Everything you could possibly need in a gust room, including a very well stocked bar and mini-bar, was at our disposal. Five star elegance all the way!
Unfortunately the hotel’s pool/health club was closed for renovation during our stay, so I can’t comment on what is supposed to be topnotch facilities. I guess we’ll just have to go back for another stay to see what we missed out on!
Although the Intercontinental is not located in the heart of Amsterdam, that didn’t bother us as it all as it was nice to be staying in an area that was very peaceful and quiet. Public transportation is very accessible to/from the hotel as a metro/tram stop is located just down the street and of course the hotel’s super nice bellman will hail you a taxi if need be. Just a quick walk over one of two bridges (to the left and/or right side of the hotel) brings you to a town center with shops, grocery stores and restaurants.
When in Amsterdam treat your self and stay at the InterContinental Amstel, you won’t be sorry!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Since the day the doors opened in 1867, InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam has been revered the world over for its palatial grandeur and residential warmth. Located where the financial, cultural and shopping districts converge, the hotel is a short walk from the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Spiegelkwartier and the Royal CarrÃ© Theatre. The Anne Frank House and the 14th-century Begijnhof are easy to reach by public transport or taxi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Booking.com, Amex, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, Venere, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Amstel Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Intercontinental Amsterdam