“Absolutly Perfect in every way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

You added InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam to your Saves list
InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Professor Tulpplein 1, 1018 GX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Pakse
“Absolutly Perfect in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

The hotel was perfect and exceeded every expectation my family and I had for our stay. I cannot highly enough recommend this hotel and my family and I will be back to the Amstel.

We travel a lot, I have top-tier status with InterContinentals Loyalty Rewards program (RA). My family travels with me generally every other month or so - and I travel weekly. We have stayed at some of the finest hotels in the world. We have very high standards and expect a first class level of service. On this trip I had concerns about my reservation - and I emailed and called the hotel.

I recieved a quick response assuring me that everything would be perfect when I arrived. When I further inquired - I recieved a similiar guarantee. So far so good - there was a concern and the hotel handled it perfectly (this was at 10pm on a Saturday night). We arrive - very late (I think it was midnight when we got in from Cologne (where we had stayed at the InterContinental)). The check-in process was flawless in spite of my eariler concern and we very quickly wisked up to our room. From out of the cab to in the room took perhaps 5 minutes in total. I like this - it was late, we were all tired and staff made an effort to get us taken care of quickly in spite of my concern. They had anticipated my needs and exceeded my every expectation. I will always return to a hotel that has proved itself able to solve problems. My wife happened to mention to my son in passing we would look at the room service menu once we got settled in the room; the gentleman checking us into the hotel suddenly produces a menu and assists us with placing our order. Our food arrived within minutes.

The room was glorious, stunning views of the river and the city. It was spacious and comfortable. Truly elegant, never over the top - just first class. It is hard to know where to start the foyer was well sized, the living room was comfortable and the master bedroom sumptious, the bath was massive and the shower was powerful and refreshing.

Every detail down to the amenities exceeded our every expectation. Someone had even thought to place a third robe in the room for my son along with extra towels, etc...

Upon waking the following morning to glorious views we headed downstairs to speak with the concierge. He did not dissapoint. He built a tour for us, got us tickets and sent us on our way with the promise of a great meal arranged when we returned. After a wonderful but tiring day touring the city and museams we returned eager to see what awaited us.

Except we managed to collapse in our room...by the time we had showered and changed (and i snuck away for a quick moment in the spa and pool - which were great) - the concerige had gotten us new reservations. The meal was exactly what we asked for, great seafood - showcasing the best the Netherlands has to offer (the resturant was Bridges - amazing recommendation we would never have found as the resturant does not have a star (although if it doesn't get 2 in the next guide I'll be shocked)).

Everything was just better, cleaner, neater, easier than expected. The hotel is also physicall beautiful. My son described the hotel as,"German efficiency with smiles and kindness". I have to agree with him - everything ran perfectly, even our problems both the ones we knew about the ones the staff avoided by anticipating our needs before we ever thought of them (the extra robe, etc...) were excellent.

Is there a catch - yes. You pay for this. The hotel is great value for money if you have the money to spend on a hotel room. My feeling after reading some reviews is that folks were surprised by prices. At a hotel such as this, it's no business hotel with free breakfast, it is a very expensive hotel kept in immaculate shape and staffed by a stunningly professional and polite staff. These things cost money. The hotel is by no means cheap - but if you happy to spend $900 a night on a perfect hotel room (River View Executive Suite) - this is the place for you.

We loved everything about the hotel. We loved the mini-bar, the selections were perfect and if you wanted to actually mix a drink they had placed real botttles in the room, not those silly mini-bottles which contain barely enough liquor for a single short pour. The food was great, room service, etc...

This hotel was more than the sum of it's parts - after a long vacation touring Europe - the Amstel provided a respite for relaxation with calm tranquilty. We found it perfectly situation for us as we walked everywhere we went (except dinner - we were tired).

Room Tip: River View Executive Suite
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Stephenville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

We arrived in Amsterdam like 2 kids in a candy shop!! We were delighted to have been staying at one of Amsterdams most "luxurious" hotels....and while our stay in the city was outstanding - the same cannot be said for our stay in this hotel.
Staff were as others report, cold. But my biggest complaint - after a day of touring, we realized we "missed" dinner. Because our bodies were still adjusting to the time change (we travelled from Alberta, Canada) I suppose we didn't feel hungry until midnight (approximately). When we called room service we were greeted with a inconvenienced tone. I tried to order a couple of burgers and was told that they only had one burger in the hotel. What?? No way! Impossible. Ok, so I move down the 24 hour room service menu, unsuccessfully. Don't have it, don't serve it now, etc. Finally, I ask about the pizza - Yes!! they have pizza - I paid royally for a the equivilant (if not the actual thing) - a mini frozen pizza. Not what I consider good service or quality.
I will agree with the other reviews that give "high" points to the guys who stand outside, always friendly, always helpful.
Oh, and we did pay the extra for a canal view - which was obstructed by the glass bubble structure the back...we didn't miss much as there was major construction going on - outside our window.
I must admit though...the most comfortable bed we slept in during our 3 week tour of the Netherlands and Italy..lovely pillows.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I was naturally concerned about past reviews, but my family and I were treated as special guests. My first commendation goes out to the concierge who was such a patient and helpful gentlemen. I wish I had remembered his name to mention for this review. He really fine-tuned sightseeing plans as well as gave thoughtful suggestions for dining. The hotel was so quiet especially for deep sleeping and wonderful bedlinens as well. Nearby restaurants,bars and liitle bistros were all within walking distance. The pool was beautiful and a nice respite from a full day of walking and sightseeing. Amsterdam I found to be a young,spirited and easily accessible city and the hotel fits the bill as a jewel on the river........

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

I am a very frequent traveler and have stayed at the Amstel a number of times. It is, without a doubt, one of the finest hotels in Europe. Staff is always friendly and helpful. Rooms are immaculate. The health club and pool are wonderful. The bar is a scene at night, and the restaurant is one of the finest in Amsterdam. If you can afford it, it’s the only place to stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

This was the fifth time I have stayed at the Amstel, and frankly I will probably never stay anyplace else in Amsterdam. It's a beautiful hotel, conveniently located, with very comfortable rooms. The beds are very cosy and the bathrooms are wonderful - full tubs and a separate large walk-in shower. Breakfast is served in the dining room of La Rive (the hotel's Michelin star restaurant) and is the standard luxury hotel fare. We ate dinner one night at La Rive, which was fabulous (see my separate review). One thorn in this rose is the charge for valet parking - 65 euros per day! It's hard to imagine how the hotel can justify such an outrageously high price, particularly when they park cars on the street in front of the hotel. If you are watching your pennies, this is one service you might want to avoid.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

The hotel still the grand dame of Amsterdam. We had an upgraded corner suite and from the welcome to the check-out a fantastic stay. The beers in the library are expensive as is breakfast, but worth the view sitting beside the Amstel. I concur with some of the reviewers on limited bar/dining options in an immediate walk except for the bar across the street, however, in a 5-10 inute walk there are hundreds of options. The tram is a two minute walk, and the underground 4 minutes. Get the day pass from the underground station and save a lot of euro if you tramming. Get your Rijksmuseum tickets from the concierge and you can walk up to the door and avoid the long lines. The pool, sauna and steam room are top notch, and there is a tanning bed. The bridge work was not a problem for us over the week-end. Free lower speed wifi.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Amstel hotel for 2 nights for a city break in Amsterdam. The building is very impressive and has a good, quiet location on the river. We stayed in a city view room, the view was nothing to shout about but the room itself was lovely. The bathroom was the best equipped I have ever seen, with a lovely rainfall shower and large bath. The only disadvantage of this hotel is that it is about a 30 minute walk from the centre of Amsterdam, although there are metro and tram stations nearby. Could also have done with some additional pillows in the room. We also used the fitness club at the hotel, the pool looks out over the river and is a nice way to relax with some complimentary coffee and juice. Would recommend this hotel for a romantic break. Could also have done with some additional pillows in the room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
LScholten, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review and taking the time and effort to give your feedback. It is possible to contact our Housekeeping department and ask for our pillow menu if you wish for additional pillows. It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Amsterdam!

Been to InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!