“A Special Place -- don't miss” 5 of 5 stars

and up
I amsterdam Card
Ranked #11 of 545 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: In the heart of Amsterdam's bustling centre lies one of the city's oldest museums: Our Lord in the Attic. Here visitors get to experience the Dutch Golden Age in a special way: a 17th-century house with a top floor converted into a Catholic church.
New York, NY
3 attraction reviews
“A Special Place -- don't miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Having been to Amsterdam many times, I somehow managed to never know of this little gem. This time I discovered it and the visit really made this visit to Amsterdam among my most memorable. The building (and the church) is over 350 years old. Even the staircases are original. The main draw is to see the Catholic Church occupying the top 3 floors of 3 adjacent buildings, and it was used for nearly 250 years until, in the late 1800's a large Catholic Church was built nearby. The church, no longer in routine use for the last 100 years, was one of many "out of site" Catholic Churches which were tolerated as long as they could not be "seen". The church seated hundreds, and over the years well over a million people climbed the steep stairs to attend. In fact, the wooden stairs have been worn down by 1 cm. Much of the building (really 3) is well preserved from various periods of the last 350+ years. If you have even been to the Lower East Side Tenement Museum in New York City, this is similar in that it shows the way of life of the people (albeit without the stories of the family that lived in the house). The audio guide (free with entrance) is terrific. Just enough information, with great supplemental material.

Do check this out, and after go 1 block away from the Canal towards the Hotel Krasnikovsky, and delight in a gelato.

Visited October 2012

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hilversum, The Netherlands
4 attraction reviews
“The single best thing in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm a Brit living in Holland, although I've been coming here for years. Had a little time to kill, whilst escorting a vistor round so we popped in here. I won't spoil the surprise but "wow - didn't see that coming".

Visited May 2012
Singapore
16 attraction reviews
“Top sight - a gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This beautiful 'hidden church' was a highlight of my visit to the city. The audioguide helps to paint a good picture of what it was like back in the day when it was a functioning church for Catholics who had to worship in secret. You also learn about the man who owned this house and built the church in the attic. A special place.

Visited September 2012
Jersey Channel Islands
12 attraction reviews
“Our Lord in the Attic Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This museum is a must-see on any trip to Amsterdam. I'm sure a lot of people miss this museum because it's not one of the better known sights but for me it was one of the highlights of my trip.

It's an amazing insight into life at the time when it wasn't advisable to be Catholic, and the house just oozes atmosphere with it's narrow, steep stairs and bed tucked into an alcove. The house itself is wonderful but the last thing you expect to find in the attic is a church, and a pretty sizeable one too.

Other reviewers have mentioned the renovations taking place, but despite these it didn't spoil my visit. It will be interesting to see the museum when renovations are completed.

Visited August 2012
Krakow, Poland
14 attraction reviews
“THIS is Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Forget about Oude Kerk and that sort of places, Our Lord in the Attic is THE place to visit. My friend told me about this place and I absolutely loved it- small and quite, makes you feel welcomed. Staff was very helpful and audio guide was highly informative, so the history of the chapel could be better understood. A bit off the beaten tracks, but definitely worth seeing.

Visited September 2012