“What a fantastic Hotel and superb restaurant!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canal House

Save Saved
You added Canal House to your Saves list
Canal House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keizersgracht 148, 1015 CX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #29 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Nottingham, England
“What a fantastic Hotel and superb restaurant!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We absolutely loved this hotel. It is very stylish, with luxurious fixtures and fittings. Pure white, crisp bedlinen, gorgeous bathrooms, high levels of cleanliness, excellent buffet breakfast including choice of hot food prepared to order. We arrived quite early, at 10am, following a very early morning flight. As expected, our room wasn't ready, but we were able to leave our case. The receptionist took our number and phoned us - within an hour - to say our room was ready. On our return to the hotel, our bags had already been put in our room. What excellent service!! The staff were charming and very helpful, and nothing was too much trouble. We decided to have an evening meal in the restaurant and it was one of the best meals we have eaten in a long time, comparable with the food in our favourite Michelin starred restaurant in England. If you stay here, may I recommend that you have at least one dinner in the hotel, as to miss it would be a real shame. I honestly cannot recommend this hotel, and its restaurant, highly enough.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

I have stayed at the Canal House Hotel a few times in the past and loved it. Hence my desire to return in September 2011. My first stay at the newly renovated and owned hotel.

It was very impressive in not only the decor but the level of service which is greatly improved from previous ownership. My baggage was taken to my room for me, which was greatly appreciated because of narrow staircases in the hotel. I was escorted to my room by the lady who checked me in, who also carried my hand luggage for me, and she proceeded to explain all about it. Some of the old charm has been retained, notably in my bedroom, the floor had a slope, but that's part of being in a refurbished canal house.

It was also good to know that the restaurant is now open for all meals, whereas previously only breakfast was available. Plus there is now room service, which wasn't available previously. The room I stayed in, classified as a "good" room, I believe, was extremely comfortable, with very generous wardrobes and the bathroom was very well appointed. Air conditioning/heating was a welcome addition, which together with the IPod docking station and large flat-screen TV plus DVD player brought it right up to date technologically, as well as the fact that there is free Wi-Fi. I found my room to be very good value for money, since the breakfast was also included in the room rate. The breakfast was quite adequate and a hungry man would have no problem filling up and being satisfied for the rest of the morning. I found the staff to be very friendly and eager to please, nothing was too much trouble for them.

I had dinner in the restaurant on my first evening, and found the food to be excellent, well prepared and presented and good value for money in a restaurant of its calibre. I love the location of the hotel on the canal, and its proximity to both the centre of the city - the Dam square - and the central station, a delightful walk through the old streets to reach either of these.

It was altogether a very good experience and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: I chose not to have a room overlooking the canal which, although quaint, can be noisy either late at...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

My husband and I arrived in Amsterdam on a freezing (well for us) late summer downpour. Arriving at the Canal House on Keizergracht was just the most welcoming experience. Ms. Waan at check-in was there to greet us immediately, it took just a few minutes to check in and we were whisked into the belly of this gorgeously restored 400 year old house. Charming, quirky, friendly, sophisticated, stylish- these are all the words I would use to describe the Canal House. We had a gorgeously huge room over looking the canal (I believe it's room 12 which you should definitely ask for). The amazing organic full size Green & Spring products made me want to just keep showing. The bed was very plush, the finishings modern but you could still appreciate the original structure of the building. Breakfast is very substantial and The Great Room is a beautiful place to start your day. The only thing I would say from a woman's point of view is that the room lighting makes it a little difficult to apply makeup- but who cares when you've got SO MUCH of everything else. So yes- this is an excellent review, for an excellent new hotel. Highly highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal facing room- it is very quiet and the view is quintessential Amsterdam.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We had a lovely one-night stay at Canal House for a quick weekend trip to Amsterdam. It was the perfect place to stay - the location couldn't be any better. The place is in the middle of the Jordaan neighborhood, which is full of adorable cafes and shops, but it's walking distance from the train station and all the tourist attractions. Our room was very comfortable and stylish, with a nice assortment of magazines and good bath products. The one downside was that our window faced a wall, but we didn't care since we weren't going to be spending much time in the room. We had a nice breakfast the next morning overlooking the garden. Overall, a fantastic stay.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We were just off the plane from the US, and after a short ride from the airport, arranged by Canal House, we found a delightful set of row houses converted into a wonderful hotel. Rooms are a bit quirky, with the bathtub often in the room, but the staff is attentive, the bar (located with reception) is fun, and the food is good. Location is central, close by the Anne Frank house.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

I travel a lot for work and stay mostly at chain hotels (Sheratons etc) so for our holiday wanted a more personal, boutique experience. We found this hotel online, it had great reviews and in person did not disappoint. Our room was beautifully decorated and appointed, very tasteful and elegant. Service was excellent, the staff were very helpful. Breakfast was fabulous with traditional Dutch bread/cheese/ham in addition to cereals or hot breakfast. All delicious. Location was excellent, quiet canal surrounded by great shops and restaurants. If there is a downside, is that I wish the air conditioning in the room was better, but definitely not a turn off. Recommend this hotel for a sumptuous stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed August 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We recently spent a week at Canal House and it was fantastic!!! It was a great location being one street away from Anne Frank House also a short walk from Dam Square and The Nine Streets. Everything we needed was close. The hotel was very boutique style having been recently renovated so it was super clean. The breakfast was delicious but mostly the staff were fabulous. Nothing was too much to ask and everyone from the receptionist to the restaurant staff to the cleaner was SO nice. Thanks Canal House for making our stay so great. We'll definately see you again.

Room Tip: I would suspect all the rooms are as great as ours
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Canal House? Share your experiences!