“Very interesting” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Skip the Line
$48*
and up
Skip the Line: Van Gogh Museum and Amsterdam...
Ranked #6 of 246 Attractions in Amsterdam
Type: Art Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The world's largest collection from the Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh (1853-1890) features more than 200 paintings and 600 drawings.
Essex
8 attraction reviews
“Very interesting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

It was an interesting few hours, well laid out and we saw a great variety of different paintings in differing styles. Well worth the vist but best to pre book to avoid the queue

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Swindon, Wilts, England
“Van Gogh Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

This was a really good exhibition in a modern museum setting. We had timed tickets for a Friday evening, but in reality there was no queue to speak of so no need to have pre-booked. You can check in your coats and heavy bags if you want.

On the Friday evening there was a DJ mixing some tracks and projections on to the wall consisting of surreal images and Van Gogh paintings. It didn't really bother me but those wishing to have peace may find it somewhat obtrusive. It made it a little difficult to hear the audio guide for the paintings closest to the music.

Having seen the exhibition in the RA in London a couple of years ago, I thought we may be repeating the same thing but I don't think we actually saw any of the paintings that were on display here, or if there were, there were very few. There was more emphasis on his paintings and influences than on his personal life and difficulties so it was less of an emotional journey in my opinion.

Many of his most famous paintings are absent - so if you're going for specific paintings, do check if they're on display.

The exhibition of Felix Vollatton was very good and introduced me to another interesting artist.

Restaurant very nice, and the venue still busy gone 9pm. I would recommend.

Taunton, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We booked our tickets on line before we left UK and were glad we did; once there, we walked straight in past the queues and began touring the galleries floor by floor. The artist's works are arranged in chronological order, from early work through to his last days, and so we really got to see how his work changed and developed through his life.
There are so many very famous paintings there....sunflowers, the irises, and also such a wealth of information that we spent far longer than we'd allowed for in fact.
Although there are 4 floors of works, the whole is remarkably easy to tackle without feeling overwhelmed; anyone who has more than a passing interest in Van Gogh should go; forget the price but have the recollection that it was excellent value for money!

Visited October 2013
Cork city
8 attraction reviews
“An interesting experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Art wouldn't really be my thing but seeming as we were near by my wife and I decided to give this museum a go.

To be honest I'm glad we did, all I ever would have known about Vincent Van Gogh is that his paintings are worth a fortune but now I know so much more. I actually found it fascinating to discover he only painted for 10 years and that he died so young. My favourite painting would have been the smoking skull, very cool.

I would highly recommend purchasing the audio equipment for €5 as this enables you to relax and stand back a bit from the paintings and listen to the commentary on them as it can get very busy around some paintings as everyone is jostling to get close to read the text that accompanies each work of art.

All in its worth a visit but you'll probably be a bit bored after an hour like I was if art really doesn't float your boat and in the end in my mind I thought the experience was kind of expensive at €15 entry and €5 for the audio.

Bagshot, United Kingdom
“Excellent but with a twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Really enjoyed this visit, so lovely to see Van Gogh's paintings for real all under one roof. Information about each painting was also translated to English too which was a bonus and his work was set out chronologically so gave great insight into how his painting ideas progressed during his life time. The museum was well set out gave a good space to view paintings close up to show painting techniques and from a distance to see the real picture.
The only major disappointment I had was that The Sunflowers was on loan in London. However seeing 'Irises' helped to diminish my disappointment.
Well worth a visit, and in my opinion better than the Reijks Museum.