“Great Hotel, opposite Central Station” 5 of 5 stars
Review of NH Barbizon Palace

Save Saved
You added NH Barbizon Palace to your Saves list
NH Barbizon Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 59-72, 1012 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Golden Tulip Barbizon Palace) (Red Light District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #147 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Athens, Greece
“Great Hotel, opposite Central Station”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

I was pleasantly suprised to see that the NH Barbizon Palace was better than most reviews I've read. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfy, sleep was excellent...the breakfast was amazing!! worth every penny...We've booked our rooms through an Interner broker and got a very cheap price per day, so it was worth it!!! Got 5 star treatment for a 2 star price! Given that Amsterdam is one of the most expensive cities, I would definetly stay there again. The staff was courteous and helpful, eager to please and provided great service. I stayed there for 5 days...only minus was that in once occassion, a room service order was misplaced and never received...any how, the rooms could be a bit more modern...but had a breathtaking view of the canals and the Central Station...everything was in walking distance, the lobby was great..the restaurant was great...so all good!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

1,416 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

For a first trip to Amsterdam, I figured it made sense to stay at a hotel near Central Station. It was a wise choice. The Barbizon Palace is within eyeshot of the station, and very close to many fun areas; also an easy point to venture anywhere in the city. Staff is friendly, rooms are clean, and service is fine. This is a European five-star hotel, and by American standards, probably a four. If you know this going in, you will not be disappointed in the accommodations at all. This is also one of the few nice hotels in all of Amsterdam that have smoking rooms available. This hotel (unlike many others in Amsterdam) do not charge you to watch television and have efficient elevator service. Oddly, some rooms at the hotel have windows that open and some rooms don't -- so request by e-mail any specifics like this that you want (in addition to upper floors with nicer views at no extra cost--5th floor is nice--a quieter part of the hotel, etc.) and they will acommodate you if they can. They are very helpful. The concierge was terrific with every question and bit of information I ever needed. Considering the price, location, and overall needs for this trip, I have no complaints whatsoever about this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

I have just returned from a flying visit of Amsterdam. I chose this property as the location next to the Train Station suited us as we only had 1 night. If i was staying in Amstedam for more then 1 night I would seek an alternative location.

On check in I specifically requested a quiet room and I was told by the male front desk member that the room was quiet. the room was on the second floor looking out on a street full of pubs!! I couldn't believe it. I was very disappointed that all i was given on check in was lip service and not customer service. I was eventually allocated a quiet room and I found the front desk staff rude and by no means accommodating.

The lobby area is very nice and could be rated as 5 star however the bedrooms (the 3 I did see!!) are shabby, dated and have would pass as 3 star bedrooms. The bathroom was very basic and it didn't even have hand towels.

I could have seen past the poor standard of bedrooms if I had received better customer service.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Belfast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

I stayed with my husband and friends, the hotel was so handy to get to, just opposite grand central station. A 5 min walk to Dam square, down the main street. Room was big, clean, plenty of nice toiletries, decor could do with a freshen up, but was clean and had everything you need for a short city break. We didn't eat in hotel since there was so much choice close by. Excellent wee cafe just outside hotel where we had breakfast for about 5Euro. Would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
europe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Without exception, the location of this hotel is excellent. Easy to get to from the train station and easy to walk to most of the main destinations in the city.

I can't figure out why it has a 5 star rating. More like a 3 star. Service was good.

We had a problem with our room, and it was taken care of immediately by giving another room, which was an apartment just around the corner. I recommend booking the apartment.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

I got an incredible deal so I was excited to stay at the property even though I knew it wasn't going to be anywhere near 5 star US standards from the reviews. Even for a slightly boutique-y European 3 star the price was great (And included breakfast), and that's basically what I expected a slightly higher end Euro style 3 star with a restaurant.
I was very disappointed.

The cons that make me give it 2 stars.
- the mattress was about 1 inch thick and you could feel every single coil
- it was very warm in the room and no a/c as they only turn it on in the summer (which I understand), however windows were nailed shut on the third floor, woke up sweating every night.
- the bureau door was off of it's track a bit which required you lift it and drag it across to get to your clothing.
- lastly my husband used the iron to iron a shirt, the iron was so old and poorly cared for it stained his shirt with rust.

The breakfast was sufficient but nothing to write home about.
On the plus side, all of the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly.

Now if they could just remodel the rooms, replace the irons, and allow a guest to crack a window!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I was staying for one night in NH Barbizon Palace in the city center of Amsterdam.
I hope I will never return to this hotel. I can understand old building but what about the rooms? My shower was sinking, wardrobes had broken handles, it was noisy from the street. And what the hell with the internet in a 5 star hotel? Why do you have to pay for everything!!!???They cant even make it free for the guest when they charge you 230 euros!!!!! per night.

I have been in NH Atlanta and

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to NH Barbizon Palace? Share your experiences!