“Great location, that's about it...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace

You added NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade, 59-72, 1012AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Barbizon Palace) (Red Light District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #139 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Brussels, Belgium
“Great location, that's about it...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stayed here for one night after booking a top secret hotel on lastminute.com. The hotel is in a great location with a welcoming reception. However, those would be my only good points. The room looked very tired, the bed was small, walls were dirty, their were cracks in the ceiling beam, wifi was a bit choppy and their was no pay per view channels on the TV. Parking was also 50 euros a night and breakfast was expensive, I would not class as 5 stars, a 3 star or very generous 4 star at best.
I would not pay full price for this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you are satisfied about our great location and welcoming reception. We are sorry to hear that our rooms did not meet up with your expectations. I’m happy to tell you we recently replaced our TV’s for flat screen TV’s and now have a broader range of TV channels available.

Despite you had some negative remarks, we hope you had an unforgettable stay in Amsterdam and we hope you will give us an opportunity to welcome you back in our hotel and make your stay a pleasant one.

Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I stayed late June 2014 while attending a conference at the Hotel.
The conference was good, the facilities were nice and the food in the restaurant was nice. That's the good stuff.

Now the bad stuff.
I arrived at 10pm due to flight schedules. I waited for ages to check in while the two staff dealt with other customers. When assistant #1 finished with her guest she walked off without a word, assistant #2 finished with her guest then answered the phone rather than help me. Irritating when you've been travelling all day and want to get into your room and catch the last of the football.

I was checked into 569 on the 5th floor. On arriving in my room I discovered an unflushed toilet. Grim. I wasn't told it was a smoking room until I got upstairs and noticed the horrible smell in the corridors and the stink in my room. I asked at reception and was told they couldn't move me as they were full.

I repeatedly opened the window to try and clear the smell and every time I returned to my room during breaks in the conference someone had entered my room and closed it - it's June, it's not cold, so I couldn't see any reason to do this.

The lifts require a key card to operate, but not on arrival late in the evening - why would you need security late at night when you're opposite Amsterdam Central Station?
The following morning the lifts were locked down and my keycard didn't work on the lifts or to re-enter my room, handy when you're dashing between breakfast and the first morning session. I was told by a client the night before the lifts had died completely and people had to walk up 5 flights of stairs.

My room was grubby, stains on the carpet, the phone socket was hanging off the wall, one of the bedside lights didn't work and there was a large sticky smear on the picture.
The was an old style, non widescreen CRT. I tried to watch the World Cup Football but the picture was so poor I couldn't read the score through the snow unless I stood in front of it - that's right snow on TV in 2014.
The door to the minibar was broken and the minibar itself was dirty with spills inside.
The shower took 7 minutes to run hot - I timed it on the second day - and even then it was a trickle.

I couldn't complain at the time as I was either attending sessions or talking to clients at every opportunity. I didn't fancy being seen complaining at reception by our delegates who were also staying here. It was embarrassing having to apologise for the state of the rooms, particularly when the previous years hotel in Berlin had been exceptional and the same price for the delegates.

This hotel could be great, the lobby restaurant and conference facilities are great. The breakfast was nice and we had great lunches twice for a large delegate group which was handled well.
The rooms and the lifts need a serious overhaul.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in a smoking room
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. This is much appreciated. We are very sorry to hear that your experience did not meet up with your expectations. We would like to offer you our sincere apologies for this. We also would like to thank you for bringing your constructive points to our attention. We will discuss this with our head office.

We hope you had a save trip back home and you will give us another chance in the future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

very nice meeting room (it used to be a chapel!!!), nice coffee break.
old sleeping rooms, need some renovation. clean.
wonderful position 2 mins from dam square and central station.
prices are a bit high but it's amsterdam.
wifi is a rip off.
definately not 5 star hotel.

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the share your feedback with us. This is much appreciated. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the St Olof’s Chapel, the clean rooms and the wonderful location.

On the other hand we want to thank you for your feedback regarding the rooms. We will definitely discuss this with our Head Office.

We hope you had a save trip back home and that we may welcome you again in the future.

Dhahran, Ash Sharqiyah, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have been all over the world. I have been in all kinds of hotels. Yes the room it self needs updates, but the beds are very nice, I had a good sleep. What makes this a GREAT hotel is the staff. I was traveling back to the United States from Saudi Arabia alone with my two kids. My husband had to stay behind to work a few more weeks. I got back to our room after a fun day at Nemo with the kids, I felt faint and felt a UTI coming on. As the evening went on I felt worse. I did not know what to do, so I called the front desk. Mandy came up to the room and to the rescue! She called the doctor, got a script, and tried to get the antibiotics delivered. Then the scrip did not get to the pharmacy, so she had to track the doctor down and try again. Mandy even went to the pharmacy and got the prescription for me herself as I was alone with two young kids and about to pass out. Mandy made it so I could sleep and make the flight the next morning without pain. To me that is what this world is about, good people helping good people. I will stay here again and again as it is now my home in Amsterdam. The wise traveler will do the same. Thank you Mandy! Thank you NH Hotels!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review. It is a great pleasure to read our staff has been of such a great help to you! Your friendly and positive comments have been shared within our team for encouragement already.

We hope you feel better soon and we look forward welcoming you and your family again next time you visit Amsterdam.

Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I can't really add to the reviews already here - a hotel hat has seen better days, and certainly the first time in years that I have seen a CRT TV anywhere, but a fabulous location. The staff are lovely, without exception. I was there for two nights, and after the first night I complained that I had been bitten by mosquitos and could they please spray the room, which they did. The next night shortly before dawn I realised they were not mozzies but bedbugs. Stripping back the duvet to see them run will do that for you. I complained at check-out... it really was not worth asking for a new room at 4am - when I checked out, and they gave me the wi-fi upgrade for free, which was sweet but my company profited from the fact that I was bitten so badly I am not going to be able to go swimming for another few days until the lumps and bumps subside.
The receptionist apologised sweetly and sincerely, and I am sure they checked the room (242); I was just unlucky, as none of the other 60 people who were at the same conference complained, or maybe they did not want to admit it, I don't know.
So, traveller, if you are bitten during the night and do not hear or see mosquitos, ask for another room. And Google 'bedbugs' so you know what to do when you get home to make sure no passengers take up residence chez vous.

Room Tip: All the rooms had earplugs next to the bed. Maybe you should choose another hotel if you want peace...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us and we truly regret to hear about your unpleasant experience. We already tried to contact you, but unfortunately we could not reach you on the phone. We would like to get in contact with you to further discuss the situation, can you please contact us.

We are looking forward to hear from you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

The service was really good and the location is amazing. The lobby was refurbished and looked very slick and modern, and so I expected the room to be quite similar in style. But, the room where I was staying was quite outdated with old furniture and an ancient TV. I guess there are refurbished rooms where the pictures for websites have been taken, but we didn't get one.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor This is very much appreciated. We are glad to read you enjoyed our comfortable and clean rooms and friendly and helpful staff.. We also would like to thank you for bringing your constructive remark about the state of the building to our attention. We will discuss this with our Head Office.

We are looking forward to welcome you again!

Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in an akwardly very low ceiling room on the 4th floor. The hotel is a relatively sad business hotel conveniently located near the central station. Breakfast is expensive at €25 with average food. Staff is friendly and helpful. At €250 a night, there are better options out there.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to put your review on TripAdvisor, we really appreciate your effort. I regret to hear of the disappointments you experienced during your stay. As the hotel is built out of the 17th century typical Dutch houses, some rooms still have authentic elements like the lower ceilings or wooden beams which can make it look less modern.

Hotel Director

Been to NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace? Share your experiences!