“Just not what you expect... ” 2 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace

Save Saved
You added NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade, 59-72, 1012AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Barbizon Palace) (Red Light District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #141 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Just not what you expect... ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Paid a lot for this hotel because it said it was five star. It was no where near the standard you would expect from a five star hotel. The room was tidy and bed comfortable but small. The maid absolutely harassed us all the time even when the sign was up telling her we didn't want the room cleaning. Plus every time we walked into the hotel you could smell the drains. Over all not worth the money. Good location though but would pick something a lot cheaper. This is the first review I have ever written but I feel that strongly about these rip off merchants. Please think twice about paying money to this hotel you could get something a lot cheaper and probably nicer. The main hall looks five star but the rest isn't. Spent four nights here for a long weekend.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you recently in NH Barbizon Palace. Hereby I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor.

I regret it very much that we did not meet your expectations. Therefore, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies and I will definitely discuss your feedback about the rooms and smell with the Head Office to improve the standards of the hotel. Furthermore, I will discuss your experience with the Housekeeping Department.

I hope to welcome you again as our guest!

Kind regards,

Astrid Hoogstede
Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I arrived on a Saturday around noon and my room was not available so came back around 3pm and desk person went to check if my room was available but said it was not so she checked with the manager on duty and she gave me a different room and a big smile. I arrived at my room and it was huge but had no bed just couches and tables and large bathroom. I checked all the doors and one led to a typical dutch stairwell and I climbed and realized my bedroom was upstairs and as large as the downstairs floor with an office area. There were televisions on both floors (not flat screens but with this room, I could not complain). Besides the 1000 sq. ft duplex room, the hotel is located across the street from Central Station in Amsterdam making exploration of the city and surrounding are by feet, bike, trams and trains easy. I stayed for 8 days and had an amazing time. I think the desk person's name was Amber and thank her very much.

Room Tip: I was on a lower floor so you have some noise from the busy area at the edge of the redlight distric...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I don´t think this hotel is worthy of 5 stars. Despite the fact that the service was excellent, the staff very helpfull and being in the very center, we had some complications and other opinions. First, the bedrooms look very old (and they are) comparing the looks of the reception and its surroundings on the first floor. Second, our badroom pipes, the sink and bath tub were stuck and we had to change the bedroom for what we asked a free breakfast and they agreed. Third, in a previous mail asking for the price of breakfast they told us 19,50€ and at the time of the check out they told us that it was 26€. They said that if booked in advance it was the first price and if not, the second. But that was not specified in the mail, so we got the 19.50 price.

Sumarry. For the rooms that they have it is not worthy the price, but if what you are looking for is location and service, this might be for you.
The breakfast is good and varied.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Loved this place. Close to Central station. Excellant staff. Given choice of area within hotel ie: street or internal. Was warned as we were street level could be noisy but we did not find this was the case. Very clean in all area's. Will stay here again

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Kalamata, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

we stayed at the hotel for five days.everything was great.the service and the food was excellent.the hotel was next to the center station and we could go anywhere on foot.the room was very clean.!!!!!

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

There is no doubting the location of this hotel will probably make up for the fact that the rooms are a bit tired and in need of a make over. Its not to say they are untidy, mine was clean and was kept that way by the hotel but the decor, furniture, TV (not a flatscreen) etc are all from the 90's. If the hotel was advertised as a 3.5* to 4* it would have been more accurate.

If you get a good deal, it would be worth staying at this hotel. The staff are great, its in the middle of everything and you probably wont be spending that much time in your room anyway.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Lisbon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

We stayed at Amsterdam for just one night and my husband got me the night at this hotel as a valentine's day present. At the time, I admit, I though it was dispensable, such a fancy hotel, we were only there for one night and were more into enjoying Amsterdam's night, but I was proven wrong as soon as I walked in fresh from central station just across the street. The place is magnificently located and it's such a beautiful building. We accepted a larger room in the front of the building on a dare, since the worried receptionist told us it might be a bit noisier, being so close to the street, but it wasn't noisy at all. The room was large and clean, the king bed was comfortable and it was great to check out the busy street just out the window. I was very sorry to leave, I would like to have been able to be there longer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace? Share your experiences!