“Great Location, but beware.......no better than a 3 Star” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace

You added NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade, 59-72, 1012AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Barbizon Palace) (Red Light District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #136 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great Location, but beware.......no better than a 3 Star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I am here until tomorrow for a conference. The location is great, but there are some annoying drawbacks. They do not provide milk capsules for tea and coffee, so you have to use powdered creamer or drink it black (a bit like cheap motels in the US). I am in a room that faces other rooms, no exterior view so I have to keep the drapes closed, which would be OK but they only have low lighting so the room is dark all the time. On the plus side, the breakfast buffet is very good, but because you have to do your own tea and coffee there was a line of people waiting which mad it difficult for people getting their food.I would come here again if I got a really good price, but it really does not offer more than a Novotel except it looks a bit more impressive. The staff are very friendly and helpful, even if they cannot find any milk....

Room Tip: Avoid interior facing rooms, they are unspeakably dark. Bring your own milk if you like your tea of...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The hotel is just 3 minutes walk from the Central Station in Amsterdam - making it excellent for excursions or city tours. Pedestrian street starts outside the hotel and for those who will go to the Red Light district - 3 minutes away. The hotel offers a very good standard with good beds / coffee maker and free internet in the room.
Can definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you recently. Hereby I would like to thank you for your nice review and for recommend NH barbizon Palace.

We are looking forward to welcome you again as our guest!

Whaley Bridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with my partner in March 2014. This was advertised as a 5* and it is not a 5* but it is a great hotel, maybe a good 3*. You cannot beat the location, 2 min walk from the station, bars and restaurants 5 mins around the corner and a 10 min walk to the red light district - can't fault it for that. Our room was 415 - good size, bit dated but very clean. Bed was very soft for comfortable. Tea/Coffee was very poor - take your own tea bags! Bathroom was okay but if your tall then the shower is a problem, ceiling low but we managed. Towels are usual hotel standard - defo not 5*. Hairdryer in the bathroom and very clean. All staff were very friendly and you could leave your luggage which is great. All round decent hotel but not luxury.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and compliment about all the staff in NH Barbizon Palace. I am glad to read that you had a comfortable stay with us and I am looking forward to welcome you again in NH Barbizon Palace.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

After reading some of the reviews here I was a bit concerned as to what to expect. It was great! Right by the station, good room with a very comfortable bed and the breakfast was second to none.
Our room safe didn't work so the staff let use use a large safety deposit box for our whole stay. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review and compliments about the hotel and my staff. I am glad to read that you had a great stay in NH Barbizon Palace and in Amsterdam.

I am looking forward to welcome you again in NH Barbizon Palace!

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights
The hotel is in a excellent location :-)
and Usual good service. Staff very helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you in NH Barbizon Palace recently. Hereby I would like to thank you for your review and nice compliment about my staff. We are looking forward to welcome you again!

Regina, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed at this hotel (or poor excuse for one) in Mid February. I paid over $200/night for this place expecting the 5 star experience. Boy was I disappointed. It started from check in:
Night 1: I was given a room with the following issues. No working internet (even with a pass), stray hairs on the bedding and pillows ( some long, some short, some curly), water damaged marks on the roof of the bathroom, a TV with the picture so distorted you couldn’t make out the image, also to add to the experience you could feel the bed springs when you slept all night long, not to mention the random bells that went off every 45 minutes that kept us up Believe us, we know what area we were in, this was a hotel sound).

After being switched to a different room the next night, the problems continued, I also requested to speak to a manager as this was just not acceptable, they did not let me speak to anyone, nor did anyone leave a message or get back to me (as I requested).

Night 2: I went to use the ear plugs, but they had repackaged used ear plugs and left them by my bed. How disgusting. Also when my girl went to use a towel, we found a huge dried mucous stain on the towel (grossest thing ever, I later showed the front desk the evidence.). Paint was missing on the trim, stained furniture. This is not a five star property, I wouldn’t even classify it as a 3 star. I am still talking to Kelly V. from the property and the manager Maria for some type of solution, maybe this will catch their eyes. They offered me a room upgrade, but for someone who may never go back to Amsterdam, that means nothing. They have not replied to any of my emails (or any of Expedias), they have not called me like they said they were going. A hotel should handle this type of situation professionally; I am highly disappointed and would never recommend this to anyone. In additional I have launched several complaints so buyer beware!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. S.,

First of all, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that you did not had a convenient stay with us. Last week, my Sales Manager contact you to discuss the situation. Furthermore, I will discuss your situation with my Management Team to improve the standards of the hotel.

Again my apologies for all the inconveniences and I hope to welcome you again as our guest in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

An extremely central hotel just over the road from Centraal Station. The check in process was efficient and friendly and the rooms are huge and include all of the amenities you would expect. Housekeeping was good in that things were replaced and in fact we were in the room at about 6pm on the second day of our stay and someone came round with the housekeeping trolley asking if we needed anything else. This was lucky as we hadn’t had any tea or coffee since we arrived. The room was clean but I did discover a suspicious looking stain on the duvet cover which was not great. You have to ring the bell to get back in late at night but this was no problem. One of the best things about this place was the 5pm checkout on a Sunday, I have never known this from a hotel before, but what a great idea! The only downside to the hotel is the price. I think this is an issue in Amsterdam generally but it really wasn’t cheap, and for that price it would have been nice to have been provided with a free bottle of water, instead of having to pay €2.50 for them!

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. It was a great pleasure to welcome you recently.

Hereby, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies for the stain on the duvet. I immediately discussed your experience with the Housekeeping Manager. Furthermore, I can gladly inform you that we are now provide a free bottle of water in all the rooms.

I am looking forward to welcome you again!

Hotel Director

Been to NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace? Share your experiences!