“Perfect location and a nice enough hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace

You added NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade, 59-72, 1012AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Barbizon Palace) (Red Light District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #139 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hempstead, New York
“Perfect location and a nice enough hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have stayed here everytime I have been to Amsterdam which is four times now. If you haven't been to Europe before you must understand that when they call this a five star hotel, it's not US standards. This is an old converted building, rooms are HUGE but not exactly modern but it has a certain charm about it but try not to get a room that is on the side of the clock tower which rings VERY loudly early AM and be sure to check out the church next door, it's absolutely beautiful inside

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. I am glad to read that you stayed in NH Barbizon Palace every time that you have been in Amsterdam. It is correct that the hotel is a historical building, which consists of 19 houses from the 17th century, which gives the rooms a lot of Amsterdam characteristics.

We are looking forward to welcome you again as our guest in NH Barbizon Palace!

Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

very happy to advise to any travelers to Amsterdam, great location, very helpful and co-operative staffs. rooms was quite spacious compare to other city hotels.
enjoyed the extensive breakfast,
definitely looking forward to stay in coming summer again

Room Tip: use the street side room to see crowds
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you recently. I would like to thank you very much for your nice compliments about NH Barbizon Palace and my staff.

I am looking forward to welcome you coming summer again!

Oxford, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Ill start with the positive - the hotel is in a great location for exploring Amsterdam.

Last stay here was awful! My room on the first floor was opposite a local bar which was playing load music etc until the early hours of the morning and due to no double glazing I could get any sleep. Eventually contacted reception to ask for another room but was told there was only a single smoking room available which I declined as the last stay was in a smoking room and was disgusting and smelly (and I am a smoker). I eventually dosed off at 3am only to be woken by staff at 5am cleaning and throwing out empty bottles from the bar underneath my room. I brought this to the attention of the management in the morning but was only offered a free drink which was pointless as just had breakfast and checking out on my way to the office. One of the managers gave me her business card and I have emailed her on 2 occassions now but received no response!

Breakfast is very poor considering it is 25 euros! The limited hot items (egg, bacon, waffles) were completely cold and didnt feel safe eating them (this has been the same experience on prior visits), therefore very expensive breakfast for fruit and juice!

To say I will never stay here again is an understatement! Had problems on prior visits but this last one just was just too much!

Room Tip: as high a floor as possible and not a smoking floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Thomson,

First of all, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that you did not had a convenient stay with us and that you did not received a response due to a miscommunication. Last week Monday, my Account Manager called you to discuss the situation. I hope that, after this conversation, you are feeling a little bit better about the situation. Furthermore, I will discuss your situation with my Management Team to improve the standards of the hotel.

Again my apologies for all the inconveniences and I hope to welcome you again as our guest in the future.

Amersham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

First let me just say I was transferred to this hotel under very short notice as the hotel I booked to stay in had an internal issue that led to them being overbooked and having me transferred to this hotel. I was worried that it would be inferior to my original hotel (which I will not name).

However I found the room comfortable and the staff more than helpful considering they were not prepared for my arrival as I had no original reservation with them. My only minor downpoint was the fact that my room was basically on a below ground level floor but it did not majorly affect the 1 night I stayed in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Although we were not your first choice, I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. If you have plans to visit us again, it is possible to request a room on a higher floor and we will do our utmost to arrange this for you.

We are looking forward to welcome you again as our guest in NH Barbizon Palace.

Barnsley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great location just across from the Central Station. Some of the hotel features are quite dated but we found the room to be comfortable and clean which is the important thing. We got a spacious room with a canal view which was really nice. Reception staff were friendly and helped us with directions to a couple of places. We got the room at a good price through a top secret hotel deal - it's good value if you can get it at the right price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and nice compliments. I am glad to read that you had a comfortable stay with us and I am looking forward to welcome you again at NH Barbizon Palace.

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel is dated and dirty and I left with bites all over my arms and legs. The staff was very nice, the location was great but it was not the 5 star hotel it claims to be. The bathroom was dated and dirty and the bed was just two twins pushed together, AND I HAVE GROSS BITES ALL OVER ME!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that you did not had a convenient stay with us and I regret it very much to read that you were bitten all over your arms and legs. I can imagine that this was very inconvenient for you and I hope that you are feeling a little bit better now.

Hereby I would like to inform you that, after reading your review, we immediately took action and checked all the twin rooms for bedbugs. I also informed a company, specialized in prevention of insects, to check the hotel and no bedbugs were found at all.

If you prefer to receive a report from the investigation, please contact the hotel and I will personally contact you.

Rome
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The location of the hotel is great, but it is a dated property, thus if you pay up to € 100/room/night, it is a great value offer. Any higher price will decrease the cost-effectiveness.
The surrounding area is full of nice restaurants and pubs and is not confusional as the nearby "Red Light District".

Room Tip: Choose rooms looking the courtyard, in order to have a good rest.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad to read that you enjoyed also the surrounding area of NH Barbizon Palace and we are looking forward to welcome you again as our guest.

Hotel Director

Been to NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace? Share your experiences!