“NICE PLACE, GREAT LOCATION..BUT” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace

Save Saved
You added NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade, 59-72, 1012AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Barbizon Palace) (Red Light District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #144 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
paisley uk
“NICE PLACE, GREAT LOCATION..BUT”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Stayed recently for a football match with friends. Hotel was in a great location, staff were excellent, friendly, helpful and courteous. Reception staff were awesome. Breakfast was adequate enough as were the rooms. Just got the feeling the hotel was needing modernised, especially the rooms, corridors and lift areas. Our room had an old fashioned tv and the shower was pretty weak. I would give the hotel 7.5/10, a bit of investment required and it would be great

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review and compliments about NH Barbizon Palace and the staff. Hereby I would like to inform you that I shared your compliments with all the staff and that I will discuss your feedback with the Head Office.

I am looking forward to welcome you again!

Hotel Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

If my friends card has not been used fraudulently this would be a very different review. The hotel is close to central station and a really good pit stop hotel with useful concierge and clean rooms. We booked last minute as we were seeing fleetwood mac in concert and it worked perfectly location wise.
However, my friends card was taken as a deposit behind reception and then when we returned home she discovered it had been copied/used. A real breach of trust and unacceptable behaviour so I can't really say anything else apart from be careful when putting your card behind reception!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I regret it very much that you have the feeling that the credit card of your friend has been used fraudulently by the reception. Hereby I would like to inform you that when a credit card is given as a deposit, we make an authorization on the credit card. This is a kind of block on the credit card that we can use for guarantee. We will never use or charge a credit card without permission of the guest. The authorization that is made on the credit card will be released by the bank after the stay.

I hope that I make it more clearly to you and that you do not feel worried anymore about the deposit and our procedure with credit cards.

I hope to welcome you again in NH Barbizon Palace!

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

it is old hotel , rooms are OK, not really five star
breakfast is nice and the best thing is location which is close to central station and to many shopping places and coffee shops
the staff are excellent and always helpful

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you in NH Barbizon Palace recently. Hereby I would like to thank you for your review and nice compliment about my staff. We are looking forward to welcome you again!

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

the hotel desperately needs renovation! the fitness area was really depressing. price is inadequate for such premises. NH Krasnopolsky is so much greater for the slightly higher price. the breakfast is poor for 5 stars

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your review. This gives us the opportunity to improve the standards of the hotel. I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations and I will definitely discuss your feedback with our Head Office.

I hope to welcome you again as our guest in NH Barbizon Palace.

Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Typically for NH hotels this one lives up to the high expectations I have come to expect.

Located close to the central station (5 minute walk) and close to the heart of the city your first impressions are of a clean, well run establishment.

The reception staff can't do enough to assist you at check in, which is swift and painless.

My room was a little quirky, which made a nice change, with a small flight of stairs leading down from the door to the sleep area. A very comfortable double bed, good desk and well upholstered chairs completed the room.

The bathroom was clean and brightly lit.

Three points of a slightly negative nature prevent this from being perfect:

1. The TV is old (not a flat screen) and in a large cabinet, while easy enough to watch from the bed it was just a little awkward from the chairs.

2. Because of the stairs there is a small light provided (at floor level) while I understand the need from a safety aspect, I couldn't find a way to turn it off so it did disturb my sleep slightly.

3. Being so close the the center of the activity it can be a little noisy late at night.

These points aside it is an excellent choice for a trip to Amsterdam.

Smoking rooms are available as is free WiFi.

The breakfast was good with plenty of variety.

If you want to visit this wonderful city, give this hotel serious consideration.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you in NH Barbizon Palace recently and I would like to thank you very much for your nice review and compliments.

Furthermore, I will discuss your feedback with my Management Team and hereby I can already inform you that we started with replacing the old televisions for flat screen televisions.

I am looking forward to welcome you again as our guest!

blackburn, lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

reception desk very helpful, room nice, clean, just a little cold, could have been a bit warmer. That's the only thing I could say was a negative. you could hear the noise from across the canal but hey, your in amsterdam, they did provide hearing plugs but after a few drinks you soon get to sleep. I would definitely stay here again if I came to Amsterdam again. Just would like bit of heating next time but lovely hotel and breakfast is self service and was excellent choice, in fact it's one of the best places I can say had a great choice. always use the hotel for a cab as we were ripped off big style when we arrived at the airport. 48 or 50 should be the normal rate from the airport to the hotel, NOT 80!.

Room Tip: was overlooking the canal, bars etc, I liked it soon get to sleep after few drinks!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and nice compliments about your stay in NH Barbizon Palace. Hereby I would like to inform you that I will discuss your feedback about the temperature in the room with my Maintenance Department.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in NH Barbizon Palace!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I just got back from a long weekend in Amsterdam with my mum. The hotel was lovely- the location was excellent. It is a 2 minute walk from the main station. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The room was clean and spacious. It can be fairly noisy at night time because it is in a central location but the hotel provides ear plugs and we were very tired from walking around all day, so it was not a problem.

NH hotels provide a late check out at 5pm on Sundays which is excellent. We had a lovely stay. I would definitely stay here again and would be happy to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review and compliments. I am glad to read that you had a lovely stay in NH Barbizon Palace and in Amsterdam, together with your mum. It was nice that you enjoyed the late check out on Sunday.

I am looking forward to welcome you and your mum again in NH Barbizon Palace!

Hotel Director

Been to NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace? Share your experiences!