“overpriced overrated hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Barbizon Palace

Save Saved
You added NH Barbizon Palace to your Saves list
NH Barbizon Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade, 59-72 | City Center, Red Light District, Dam Square, Binnenstad, 1012AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Golden Tulip Barbizon Palace) (Red Light District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Buffet Breakfast
Ranked #146 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Moscow, Russia
“overpriced overrated hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

the hotel desperately needs renovation! the fitness area was really depressing. price is inadequate for such premises. NH Krasnopolsky is so much greater for the slightly higher price. the breakfast is poor for 5 stars

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Astrid H, General Manager at NH Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your review. This gives us the opportunity to improve the standards of the hotel. I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations and I will definitely discuss your feedback with our Head Office.

I hope to welcome you again as our guest in NH Barbizon Palace.

1,390 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Grantham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Typically for NH hotels this one lives up to the high expectations I have come to expect.

Located close to the central station (5 minute walk) and close to the heart of the city your first impressions are of a clean, well run establishment.

The reception staff can't do enough to assist you at check in, which is swift and painless.

My room was a little quirky, which made a nice change, with a small flight of stairs leading down from the door to the sleep area. A very comfortable double bed, good desk and well upholstered chairs completed the room.

The bathroom was clean and brightly lit.

Three points of a slightly negative nature prevent this from being perfect:

1. The TV is old (not a flat screen) and in a large cabinet, while easy enough to watch from the bed it was just a little awkward from the chairs.

2. Because of the stairs there is a small light provided (at floor level) while I understand the need from a safety aspect, I couldn't find a way to turn it off so it did disturb my sleep slightly.

3. Being so close the the center of the activity it can be a little noisy late at night.

These points aside it is an excellent choice for a trip to Amsterdam.

Smoking rooms are available as is free WiFi.

The breakfast was good with plenty of variety.

If you want to visit this wonderful city, give this hotel serious consideration.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you in NH Barbizon Palace recently and I would like to thank you very much for your nice review and compliments.

Furthermore, I will discuss your feedback with my Management Team and hereby I can already inform you that we started with replacing the old televisions for flat screen televisions.

I am looking forward to welcome you again as our guest!

blackburn, lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

reception desk very helpful, room nice, clean, just a little cold, could have been a bit warmer. That's the only thing I could say was a negative. you could hear the noise from across the canal but hey, your in amsterdam, they did provide hearing plugs but after a few drinks you soon get to sleep. I would definitely stay here again if I came to Amsterdam again. Just would like bit of heating next time but lovely hotel and breakfast is self service and was excellent choice, in fact it's one of the best places I can say had a great choice. always use the hotel for a cab as we were ripped off big style when we arrived at the airport. 48 or 50 should be the normal rate from the airport to the hotel, NOT 80!.

Room Tip: was overlooking the canal, bars etc, I liked it soon get to sleep after few drinks!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and nice compliments about your stay in NH Barbizon Palace. Hereby I would like to inform you that I will discuss your feedback about the temperature in the room with my Maintenance Department.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in NH Barbizon Palace!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I just got back from a long weekend in Amsterdam with my mum. The hotel was lovely- the location was excellent. It is a 2 minute walk from the main station. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The room was clean and spacious. It can be fairly noisy at night time because it is in a central location but the hotel provides ear plugs and we were very tired from walking around all day, so it was not a problem.

NH hotels provide a late check out at 5pm on Sundays which is excellent. We had a lovely stay. I would definitely stay here again and would be happy to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review and compliments. I am glad to read that you had a lovely stay in NH Barbizon Palace and in Amsterdam, together with your mum. It was nice that you enjoyed the late check out on Sunday.

I am looking forward to welcome you and your mum again in NH Barbizon Palace!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

NH is in the best central location in Amsterdam, 2 min from station and all the main centres in town. The hotel was very clean the staff friendly and accommodating. Good restuarant & bar, gym has the basic needs to stay moving

Room Tip: take the inside rooms, much quiter
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you recently. Hereby I would like to thank you for your review and nice compliments about the staff and hotel.

I am looking forward to welcome you again as our guest!

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Close to Centraal Station (about a 10 minute walking distance). Staff was extremely pleasant and very helpful. The rooms were completely remodeled, except they should consider updating their technology. TV didn't have very many channels and was very old, but who watches TV a lot when traveling? Close by are major museums, attractions and restaurants. We were also able to find a good price on the hotel via Hotels.com.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review and compliments. I shared your compliments with all the staff and hereby I would gladly inform you that we are now started with replacing the televisions for flat screen televisions.

I am looking forward to welcome you again in NH Barbizon Palace!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We booked our vacation the day before leaving so we ended up paying quite an amount for the night (EUR 355 / night). For such an amount, my expectations were far from being met. The location of the hotel is great (walking distance from almost all major attractions in Amsterdam). We were asked if we want a room with a view and some noise or a quiet one (with no view), and we chose the one with the view. When we went up, we found that the view is another building separated by a very busy small street. Five minutes after getting into the room we realized how noisy it was and that it's not worth the view, so we asked to be transferred to another room in the "quiet" area, and the staff immediately agreed and gave us a new one. The rooms are spacious and clean (although there were stairs in the room, which was inconvenient). The bed is small and the mattress and pillows are definitely not a five star hotel quality. The lights are too dim. If you like to spend some time in the hotel room (as opposed to just sleeping there), you might want to choose another hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. Hereby I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations. I will definitely discuss your improvement points about the room with the Head Office.

I hope to welcome you again as our guest in NH Barbizon Palace!

Hotel Director

Been to NH Barbizon Palace? Share your experiences!