“great central location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Barbizon Palace

Save Saved
You added NH Barbizon Palace to your Saves list
NH Barbizon Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 59-72, Amsterdam 1012 AD, The Netherlands (Formerly Golden Tulip Barbizon Palace) (Red Light District)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #149 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Sydney, Australia
“great central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

NH is in the best central location in Amsterdam, 2 min from station and all the main centres in town. The hotel was very clean the staff friendly and accommodating. Good restuarant & bar, gym has the basic needs to stay moving

Room Tip: take the inside rooms, much quiter
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure to welcome you recently. Hereby I would like to thank you for your review and nice compliments about the staff and hotel.

I am looking forward to welcome you again as our guest!

1,407 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Close to Centraal Station (about a 10 minute walking distance). Staff was extremely pleasant and very helpful. The rooms were completely remodeled, except they should consider updating their technology. TV didn't have very many channels and was very old, but who watches TV a lot when traveling? Close by are major museums, attractions and restaurants. We were also able to find a good price on the hotel via Hotels.com.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review and compliments. I shared your compliments with all the staff and hereby I would gladly inform you that we are now started with replacing the televisions for flat screen televisions.

I am looking forward to welcome you again in NH Barbizon Palace!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We booked our vacation the day before leaving so we ended up paying quite an amount for the night (EUR 355 / night). For such an amount, my expectations were far from being met. The location of the hotel is great (walking distance from almost all major attractions in Amsterdam). We were asked if we want a room with a view and some noise or a quiet one (with no view), and we chose the one with the view. When we went up, we found that the view is another building separated by a very busy small street. Five minutes after getting into the room we realized how noisy it was and that it's not worth the view, so we asked to be transferred to another room in the "quiet" area, and the staff immediately agreed and gave us a new one. The rooms are spacious and clean (although there were stairs in the room, which was inconvenient). The bed is small and the mattress and pillows are definitely not a five star hotel quality. The lights are too dim. If you like to spend some time in the hotel room (as opposed to just sleeping there), you might want to choose another hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. Hereby I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that we did not meet your expectations. I will definitely discuss your improvement points about the room with the Head Office.

I hope to welcome you again as our guest in NH Barbizon Palace!

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

70's built hotel starting to show its age but in a great location - hop and a skip form the central Station and 5 minutes walk from Dam Square/Galleries/Museums and the busy alleys that Amsterdam is famous for!

Rooms a little tired. Old TV's and worn out bathrooms but clean and functional. Slow internet and pricey bar.

Attended a conference so got to see a lot of the hotel - gym isn't really up to much but good breakfast and big meeting area/conference suite. Generally people I spoke to thought it was a good place!

Room Tip: ask to be on an in facing corridor last room - noisy outside ~ (they give you ear plugs)
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having chosen NH Barbizon Palace. It was a great pleasure to welcome you recently. I would like to thank you for your review and hereby I would gladly inform you that we are already started with replacing the televisions for flat screen televisions. Furthermore, I will discuss your feedback points with the Head Office to improve the standards of the hotel.

I am looking forward to welcome you again as our guest!

Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We visited Amsterdam on a rainy day, but the hospitality of the staff at Barbizon Palace made our stay nonetheless a charming experience. Breakfast is excellent.
The room was all right, everything was in working order, but old.
An example is the lack of soundproof windows for which the ear tips provided offered relief, but we imagine will be solved in a more structural way in the near future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your review. I am glad to read that you had a charming experience in NH Barbizon Palace.

Hereby, I would like to inform you that we will discuss your improvement points about the room with our Head Office.

I am looking forward to welcome you again!

Sao Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The Hotel is well located in front of the central station next to the city center, the rooms are nice, spacious and clean, the attendants are friendly and efficient and the service is perfect, I recommend

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice compliments about the hotel and the perfect service. I shared your compliments with all the staff and we are looking forward to welcome you again as our guest in NH Barbizon Palace.

Sarasota, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The reception staff and Concierge were great. Although when we arrived there was no one to help with our bags until we struggled in and loaded them luggage cart ourselves did someone appear and offer help! The restaurant staff not great and slow...The food was average and not at all outstanding. Ordered Room Service and it arrived cold. The room service man stuck his finger in the omelet and then went off to warm the same one up...and brought it back nice, you could still see his finger hold in it.
Twin room was just average and twin beds were small and you defo did not want to turn over quickly!
The Basic internet is supposed to be free and then it appears if everyone tries to log on you get booted out and then have to pay otherwise you just cannot get on.
Would I choose this if I wasn't on a works business trip. I'd have to say no would not be my first choice or my second really.
The only good thing you are close to Dam Square and various other places so really the location is perfect just a shame about the Restaurant.
There is a small Gym with two running machines (one not working) and a cross trainer and some weights but no mats to do any floor work!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. This review gives me the opportunity to improve the standards of my hotel.

Hereby I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that you did not had a convenient stay. I regret it very much that this happened and you are totally right that this is not how it should be. After reading your review, we immediately took action with the Room Service department, we have contacted our internet provider and the Maintenance Department will solve the problem with the running machine.

Again my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you experienced and thank you so much for your review.

Please let me know if you are planning to come back to Amsterdam, then I can arrange something special for you and assure you of our best attention to your comfort and well being.

Hotel Director

Been to NH Barbizon Palace? Share your experiences!