The good parts: the location is decent, close to the Central Station, close to boat buses and tour buses, plenty of places to eat close by, very close to where the fun is in Amsterdam. The staff was polite and helpful (with one exception to be noted below) - they kindly provided me with a heater and blanket after freezing the first few hours in my room. They also provide tickets to lots of museums and tours. The room was pretty good, plenty of space to go around, you could get the bags out of the way, which is always a plus.
The bad parts.
- the location: if you get a room facing the street on the right of the hotel and you're a light sleeper, you're in big trouble. There are a number of bars right outside the hotel, so lots of noise, laughter, etc in the night. Ask for a room facing a quieter side of the hotel.
- the in room heating: not sure if it's because the season was still early autumn but the heater was barely warm even when turned up to the maximum setting.
- the rooms - I'm not sure how much photoshop went into the official room photos because what you see when you get there is a bit of a let down, to put it nicely. The furniture is awfully dated, you don't want to look at the wood too closely, the chair by the desk looked stained, holes in the curtains, very bad lighting (could have used one great light in the bedroom ceiling instead of a handful of lamps providing weak yellow light), the bath tub was a bit hard to get out of, the safe was much too small to be called a laptop safe (you can fit a netbook but nothing bigger). I don't think the hotel would look good with modern furniture but the one it has really needs to be reconditioned and brought to a better state.
- breakfast was ok but not an impressive selection
- great let down with the staff on my last day. After being told I could use the gym to change into something more comfortable to go to the airport, I was then denied and told to use the common bathroom. Really disappointed with that.
I wouldn't pick this place again for a second stay in Amsterdam unless they do a bit of a renovation.
Avoid rooms facing the street on the right of the hotel.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.