“Good location near the rail station” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace

You added NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace to your Saves list
NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade, 59-72, 1012AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly NH Barbizon Palace) (Red Light District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #139 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Good location near the rail station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here 2nd to 4th August, 2013. Hotel is very good with clean and modern public areas. Our room was on two levels, with timber beamed ceiling, and all the usual touches you would expect. Maid service was excellent, although we were not told that the Michelin star restaurant was closed until 18th August, but we did not intend to eat there anyway. The Hotel is 5 mins walk from Central station and about the same from the Red Light District. Main Dam sSquare is about 15 minutes walk away, or get a tram just across the road. We were there at the same time as the Gay Pride Event, so expected everywhere to be packed out, but it was not that bad. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tampa, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Very good overall, clean room with comfortable bed and shower. All staff was vary cheery and polite at all time. Great location, just minutes from the Main train station and Central Amsterdam. We cannot rate the restaurants and or other amenities, since we just "sleep" at this hotel. We expended most of the day visiting museums and points of interest nearby. We had breakfast at a nearby cafe, for about 9 Euros, at it was great!

The biggest drawback was an inoperable "Climate Control Unit" NOT an air conditioner (AC) in our room. With temperatures ranging about 30*C in the summer, the room at night was HOT, hot, hot. I advised the concierge for two consecutive mornings. The first time the concierge told me that this was not an AC unit, that it will only "control the environment," what ever that mean. The second morning they referred me to room service, to ask for a fan. They brought me a 8 to 10 inches fan. No help at all. It was cooler in the hallways that in our room. I once again complaint, this time with the front desk, who during our absence they checked this unit. Upon our arrival, we found a note indicating that the unit was not operable and that they will change my room. The night before departure, at 22:0 hrs? too late.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Astrid H, General Manager at NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for your comment. I regret it very much that you experienced a very warm room during your stay. Our hotel has a top cooling system which regulate a nice temperature in the rooms, but the weather and outside temperature were extremely high. Besides this inconvenience I hope you had a beautifull sunny stay in Amsterdam.

A. Hoogstede
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was pretty much ready for what NH Barbizon Palace would be like. It's not what I would call a 5 star hotel. Sure they offer the services necessary to give it the stars, however the room decor is quite plain and could use an update.
In an e-mail I sent the hotel before leaving for Amsterdam I asked for a quiet room, not on the first floor and as I found out they permitted smoking in certain rooms added that I wanted a non smoking room. All these requirements were met and we were greeted very kindly when we arrived. We had to wait for a few minutes for our room and got offered a free drink in the bar while we waited.

PROS: Great location - about 3-5 min walk from the train station, helpful and friendly staff, clean, quiet, safe
KEEP IN MIND: Do not expect a luxury 5 star hotel - you'll be disappointed, if you are a non-smoker make sure you ask for a non-smoking room, the hotel is very close to the red light disctrict and if you are traveling with children you might want to check a map so you don't end up walking right in to it.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My return to NH Barbizon is after many years of being here in the late 1990's for business. I am happy to see that after all these years the hotel is still as nice as I remember and has been spruced up a bit.

On checking in I received a warm and smiling welcome but not before having a refreshing glass or two of fruit infused water.

The lobby has been brighten up since my last visit with colors and lighting, making it a cool place to relax before or after walking around this vibrant city.

The rooms at NH Barbizon are more spacious than your typically European hotel rooms. Rooms at the back of the hotel should be a lot quieter as the hotel is on a busy street.

Maybe you will get lucky and get a room with a view which would be a nice touch.

My only problem with NH Barbizon is the dining and drinking prices are expensive but in a city with so many options for both this issued can be easily resolved.

NH Barbizon offers free Wi-Fi and is located a short walk from Amsterdam Central Station.

This will always definitely be one of my top hotel choices when vising Amsterdam especially at around US$100 per night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review about our hotel. You mentioned that our Food and Beverage is quite expensive, but I would like to ask you did you ever try our 3-course dinner for Euro 27,50 incl. a glas of wine and tea or coffee? We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Astrid Hoogstede
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We read the tripadvisor reviews before going to this place and went prepared for the worst. To be fair, it's not a bad hotel but it's not great. The lobby is very nice! The room was not so good. Our room had cracks in the ceilings and was, basically, just worn and tired. That said, it was generally clean and spacious and the bathroom was fine. As some other reviewers have said, a few things need modernising and replacing but it was ok. There were earplugs on the bedside and a note telling us that amsterdam was a lively city where we may struggle to sleep - in all honesty, though, noise wasn't a problem. This hotel has a very good location, close to the central station and not far from the royal palace, the canals, the red light district, Anne Frank's house etc so it's easy to get around from on foot. We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that.

If you get a good price, I would say go, but if you're paying a lot and expecting a luxury hotel, this is not it. There are much nicer hotels very close by with the major hotel brands if you're looking for that sort of stay. For us, as we just wanted to see Amsterdam for two days by day and night, it was fine.

madrid
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel has ups and downs, but if you know your way around it, it´ll be a great and affordable option right in the centre. Having read all sort of reviews at Trypadvisor, I arrived sort of prepared for the worst. I specifically asked the receptionist for a quiet and non smoking room. She gave me a room on the first floor which was very dark and smelly, like cigarette and mold, not a nice combination. So I inmediately got back to reception and complained. They then gave a room on the 3rd floor which was amazing. On 2 floors, spacious, great beams in ceiling, and very quiet.
Yes, there were some faults to repair in walls, and the tv should definitely be changed to a new flat model. But other than that, it was a great deal.

There´s not really a way to regulate the temperatura in the room, so I asked for a bathrope which was delivered right away. I did not use the room service anymore, but I´m sure is spotless

An advise for the manager: the gym could also be pimped up a bit, music, internet, it´s soulless...

And last but not least, internet connection should be improved.

I´ll be back though!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. I was glad to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. Your improvement points are taken into considderation and we will take action on these. On behalf of my staff, I am looking forward to welcome you again.

A.Hoogstede
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Excellent hotel, ideal location close to train station and within walking distance of all attractions and on edge of old town. Staff v friendly, concierge service super helpful (special thanks to Edwin & Ron). Good bike hire at hotel. We enjoyed v large room, view over canal, clean etc all great - only slight observation was bedroom carpet a little tired for a 5* hotel. 12 noon check out time nice as didn't have to rush. Tip for breakfast - try the Illy coffee shop opposite corner - fab food, coffee and fresh orange juice.

Would definitely recommend and happily stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to NH Amsterdam Barbizon Palace? Share your experiences!