We stayed at the Sofitel Amsterdam The Grand during a recent trip to Amsterdam (October 2010) and have not stopped talking about it since!!!
We found a great deal on a suite at this hotel via http://orbitz.com and were super psyched about arriving. Once we arrived (Friday late in the evening), we were escorted to a beautiful suite by one of the bellman and shown all of the amenities of the room. We began unpacking our luggage and noticed that the air conditioner was not turning on (I know...stupid Americans and their air conditioning!!!). We called down to the front desk and were told they would send someone up. The same bellman showed up and fumbled around and then sadly told us that since it was night time they would not be able to get someone to fix it until morning or possibly Monday, but he would be happy to call down and have another suite prepared for us. Kind of frustrating because we had already started unpacking, but not a big deal. He called down and all of a sudden the most exhilarating look came over his face and we heard him ask "Are you sure?".
The bellman clapped his hands together in excitement and whisked us and our bags to the other side of the hotel without telling us much other than "You are going to be VERY happy!". We arrived outside of the Willem Van Oranje Suite. Wow...a suite with its own name...Sweet!!! He opened the door and OMG!!! This place was ginormous!!! The bellman skipped around and showed us all of the great amenities of this suite. We had a living room, a dining room, an office area, a HUGE bathroom complete with a steam sauna, 2 toilet rooms (not sure what those are called), a GINORMOUS bedroom with a separate sitting area and a ridiculous walk in closet. All of the toiletries were Hermes. The bellman told us the room usually goes for EUR2,500-EUR3,500 per night. I assure you we paid nowhere near that!!!
We thought for sure they were only going to let us stay here for one night and then move us to another room in the morning. We only unpacked the needed toiletries and clothes and waited. No one ever called or came the next morning!!! They let us stay there for the remainder of our stay...and even called to ask if we were satisfied...HELLZ YEH!!!
Everyone that worked there was super nice. We didn't eat at the hotel (other than room service which was really good), but did venture to the bar area one night. They have a cute little bar area and the bartender was super cool. The location couldn't be better...right in/by the Red Light District. We were able to quickly and easily walk to everything we wanted to see.
I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Amsterdam and this will be our hotel of choice when visiting Amsterdam in the future!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, ACCOR, Travelocity, Orbitz, Splendia, Tingo, Otel, TripOnline SA, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel