“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #9 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
NY, NY
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for 3 nights on the first part of our honeymoon. We arrived early and our room was ready. They were so lovely and upgraded our room to a suite with a balcony. The room was gorgeous and large. The entire time we were there, the staff were extremely professional and helpful. We had a problem with our door locked and it was immediately fixed. They are everything a top notch hotel should be.
Location is excellent. We had no issue at all with the location being off the red light district. Even with the balcony and the semi finals of the World Cup going on, it wasn't loud. The neighborhood near the hotel is very touristy; however, we really didn't mind. We were able to walk all over (back from the Heineken experience ) without issue and even jumped on a tram at some point.
I would highly recommend the hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RemcoGroenhuijzen, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
It is so kind of you to recommend our hotel. Also thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay in The Grand. I am truly delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

With my best wishes,

Remco Groenhuijzen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

After having a bad experience at the Pulitzer, we checked into the Grand. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The canal suites are spacious, luxurious and comfortable. The staff is incredibly friendly, helpful and a pleasure to talk with. The hotel is centrally located with great views. Very clean, modern: classy and charming. Amazing place!

• Stayed July 2014
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for your review. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed Sofitel Legend The Grand.

As you have so kindly mentioned The Grand is perfectly situated to take in the sights and sounds of Amsterdam with the shops and museums right on our doorstep.
Whilst there is so much to see and do in Amsterdam, we believe that The Grand is very much a sanctuary and place to get away from it all.

I hope we are able to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in July 2014. Amsterdam is very busy any time of the year. The Grand - with its front and inner courtyard - is like a peaceful island in the city center. We stayed in a suite with a sitting room, seperate bedroom, spacious bathroom with shower, double sink, toilet, bath, seperate toilet, free and fast WIFI. TV in the sitting room, bedroom and bathroom. Very comfortable double bed. Comfortable couch. Writing desk. Spacious closet, safe, mini-bar. All very clean. Very helpful and friendly service by butler Domingo. However, the butler form we were asked to fill and return by email beforehand with our choice of pillows, newspaper, reason of our visit,... was probably not read by anyone. There was no turndown service on our second night and no newspaper on our first morning. Dinner at Bridges was a real treat. Quite expensive but worth every Euro. Excellent food, excellent wines, excellent waiter service with an attitude :) It's a pity though that there seems to be no dresscode for the guests in the restaurant. We felt a bit overdressed. Nice courtyard for lunch or drinks. Library cosy and comfortable. Concierge / reception services very friendly and efficient. Breakfast a bit overpriced. We didn't understand why the eggs were served cold/lukewarm as they are made to order and came straight from the kitchen but the breakfast buffet is nice. Plenty of choices. The location of the hotel couldn't be better for visiting the city center. Overall we had an excellent stay and we will consider The Grand again on our next stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
RemcoGroenhuijzen, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Fabulous reading! Thank you for the generous words. However I regret to read that you were not quite satisfied with the breakfast. I am also sorry we failed to arrange the requests on the butler form.
Please rest assured that I have spoken with both department heads in order to avoid these kind of situations in the future.

Thank you once again for your review and for choosing Sofitel Legend The Grand. I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Amsterdam.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Grand for two nights, celebrating my wife's birthday. At arrival we were greeted by the guest services manager, who took us to our room and helped us with all the information we needed. We were given a room with a great view at the front of the hotel overlooking the canals. The room itself was spacious and nicely decorated with high attention to detail. A birthday cake was waiting for us in our room, which was a nice surprise - and definitely one of the best cakes we ever tried. Staff were helpful and polite at all times which ensured a very pleasant stay.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to put your review on Tripadvisor and thank you for your kind words.

We hope to welcome you back in The Grand to celebrate many more birthdays !

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My mother and I stayed here during a very short 3-day visit. We had a view of the water from our room and were taken care of by the excellent staff. The hotel is right next to the Red Light District and about 25 minutes to the museums and Albertcuyp market. The city is so beautiful, make sure you choose to walk; ditch the cabs!

Room Tip: Try to request a room that has a view of one of the many canals!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
A big thank you ! Please do come back and see us soon, so you can explore more of the city and enjoy The Grand.

Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I recently stayed here with my sister fir 3 nights and it was fabulous. The hotel is lovely and I would gladly stay here again. We stayed in a junior suite and its was large and very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable.One of my favourite things about the Sofitel are the Hermes toiletries which smell amazing. Our room faced the courtyard so there was no noise on the night. The location of the hotel was great only a 2 minuet walk away from Dam Square and red light district and 10 minuets to Anne Frank's House. We didn't use the restaurant as there were so many other option not far from the hotel. The staff were lovely always saying hello as we passed and when we checked in we were taken to our room by a member of staff and she showed us round the room and how things worked. I am so pleased we chose this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
RemcoGroenhuijzen, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you so much for your review and lovely comments. I do hope you will return and if I can ever assist in any way, do let me know.

With best wishes,

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel was truly a great experience for the most part. Our flight landed at 7am and the hotel had our room ready by 10;30 which we were totally not expecting. This was a great first start to our first day as we were able to nap for a few hours and still get in a full day of exploring Amsterdam in. The hotel is located in the center of everything. Be warned that there is a coffee shop right out the front gate of the hotel which we didnt mind but some might care about. The room was much bigger than we had anticipated and the bed was super comfy. Housekeeping was quick and efficient when we needed an ironing board and iron and adapters for our electronics. The decor was really modern and our view of the canal was superb. The bathroom was big and the shower was awesome and powerful (we find unusual in Europe in general). We did not get breakfast here and honestly you are within walking distance some amazing restaurants so its not necessary. The wifi worked great but you have to upgrade if you have more than one device. We were able to get a canal cruise organized by the hotel which was really beautiful. They have bikes available for guests which we didnt take advantage of since my husband's knee was hurt. I did take advantage of the gym which was sparse and hot but worked for my needs. The pool looked amazing but alas we didnt take advantage of that either. The Flying Dutchman Bar was great for an end of the day beer. Robin behind the bar was super helpful and great to have a chat with. He is so knowledgeable of the area and was able to answer many questions we had especially about a day trip I was taking to Dusseldorf.
Soooo what was I disappointed with? I came back early from the museums one day to meet a friends granddaughter who is working in Amsterdam. We wanted to sit outside and have a couple of drinks and chat. We were told there were no seats but there were. We were seated inside with a view of the outdoors. We were then interrupted for the next hour every 10 minutes to see what we wanted to order to eat. We werent there to eat and I had made that clear when we sat down AT MY HOTEL. Then what seemed to be a manager came over and snapped the menus away from in front of us and demanded our orders. Not wanting to be rude in front of my guest, I ordered a cheese plate as something to stop the interruptions to our conversation. At this point I might add, we could certainly have been moved outside as it was completely empty. I encountered the same manager woman the following day when I came back from touring the city and was waiting for my husband to come back from his work meeting. She held the door open for me as I went outside to sit and read and clearly I would have ordered something to drink while waiting. NOTHING. For 15 minutes. I will say when I came back inside another manager asked me if I needed anything and I let him know what had happened and I was served in an instant. The woman previously encountered came over and apologized and claimed she had not seen me outside. Absolutely untrue. I will say they gave me my glass of wine on the house but it just seemed bizarre to me.
Finally, checkout was fast and pleasant.

Room Tip: book a canal view room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave such an extensive review on Tripadvisor following your stay in our hotel.

Thank you also for your kind words. I will share your comments with the rest of the team and I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff.

Nevertheless I am sorry to read that you were disappointed by the service of the restaurant. Please rest assured that we will take this up with our Restaurant Manager in order to avoid these kind of situations in the future. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope to welcome you back in The Grand on your next visit to Amsterdam.

Remco Groenhuijzen

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!