“Wonderful hotel, location and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #11 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Phoenix, Arizona
“Wonderful hotel, location and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during a spring tour of Holland and Belgium with Tauck. The hotel is beautiful and service is excellent. The room was spacious and clean. The location is excellent and we could walk everywhere. The front desk staff had plenty of people there to help when you needed it and they were all very friendly. We ate in the Bistro restaurant once and we did not like it very much but loved the hotel breakfasts.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel, Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am delighted that you enjoyed your room and the location.

However, I am sorry to hear that you did not like our Bistro that much. I will pass on your comment to our Restaurant Manager.

I hope to soon welcome you back in The Grand.

With kind regards,

1,352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Excellent service. Perfect central location close to quiet canal. Rooms good, spacious. The bed fas fantastic, very comfortable. I was not happy with the shower as it was hard to get the right temperature. All in all a great hotel, but very expensive and would have expected even better for this prize.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review at Tripadvisor.

However I am sorry to read that were not happy with the shower in your bathroom. Please rest assured that I will review this with the Chief Engineering.

I hope to welcome you back in The Grand on your next visit of Amsterdam.

With kind regards,

West Malling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This hotel is located on a canal at the top of the red light area, but don't let this put you off because its a wonderful hotel. Check in staff are superb, rooms are first class, location is perfect, even the guys on the door are very friendly. I will only ever stay here when in Amsterdam. Not one complaint!

Room Tip: You must try this hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
It is always a pleasure to read positive comments on the service provided by my great team as this is where we believe Sofitel Legend The Grand excels and makes us stand out from the rest.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Amsterdam.

Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Got to stay in this beautiful hotel right in the heart of Amsterdam for 6 nights! Our KLM flight arrived an hour early, and we were at the hotel reception by 9 am. Our room was not ready at that time, but the staff checked us in without problems. We were served some refreshments, got introduced to Maurice, our always ready and able butler, before we headed out for the Easter mass at the Basilica close to the Central Station. Even before the mass ended, we learned that our junior suite room with a canal view (#352) was ready for us! Sweet Maurice took take of our every little need, including my request for a voltage converter so that I could use my flat hair iron! Our room was large with high ceilings, and had a modern, yet traditional feel to it. The toilet and bath had an interesting layout but worked well for us! There was a TV next to the tub (neither of which we used), towel warmer, rainshower and wand in the shower, and a vanity that is separate from the lavatory. The bed was soft yet comfortable, and we had an extra roll-away bed for my teenage son which was also comfortable. It was King's Day on the day we left, but the celebrations started the night before. I didn't get to sleep until 2 am that evening because the place was not very far from the Dam Square which were most of the loud noise was coming from. But the rest of the nights were calm and quiet, and being on the third floor was a plus. Also, one should try the Spa/Pool area - we had a great one hour in the pool, and all to our own! We never tried the breakfast at the hotel, although we heard a lot of good things about it. We usually were our for our meals, and there are a lot of pretty good choices just a walking distance away. Overall, we would go back to the same hotel if and when we have the chance to visit Amsterdam again. And special thanks to Maurice and the staff of The Grand Sofitel for treating us like royalties. <3

Room Tip: The butler experience is a first for us. One has to be in at least the junior suite to have one.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
This is a very touching and much appreciated review of your experience at the hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time to write so eloquently and I hope your next stay with us lives up to the same high standards that you now know we are capable of!

Thank you once again.

Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We have just spent 7 nights at this wonderful hotel and I will not repeat all the amazing things other guests had to say. Yes, the decor is gorgeous, the flowers are perfect, the food is great. and the rooms are wonderful. But what really made a difference was the staff. We can find good hotels all over, but I doubt we can find such a warm and nice group of people working together at the same place. The ones that we see and the ones that work behind the scene to make sure everything is working perfectly. I had to go the emergency room at night this week, and I felt so protected by them in terms of getting a referral to where I had to go, helping to contact my insurance, calling me the next day, making sure I was okay. .
The employees are the soul of The Grand and Sofitel should be proud of having such a wonderful staff.
The only thing I regret is that we did not have time to do the hotel tour, will do next time...

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
I am so pleased that you were made to feel so looked after and comfortable when you had your medical issue; it is the very least we could do! But most of all I am very glad to learn that you are feeling better now !

I hope you will be able to stay with us again should you visit Amsterdam again. Thank you for the kind comments.

Newton Le Willows, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is truly gorgeous. Whilst it is called The Grand, the entrance is beautiful yet unassuming.
The staff are extremely welcoming and friendly and I could not fault anyone who worked at the hotel.

The room we had was really large for a city centre room. The decor was elegant yet modern. The bed, oh my, the bed. It is the most comfortable bed I have ever stayed in.

We had a bath with a tv, a double shower cubicle and separate toilet. We also had amenities, robes and slippers.

We had fresh water and snacks added to the room daily, whether this be fruit or local chocolate.

The hotel offer a tour each morning and is worth the 30 minutes rosemary of this fabulous hotel.

I have been to Amsterdam three times and when I return I will only stay here to now on.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
It is always gratifying to receive such praise from a guest. Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and your room, but above all about our staff !

I hope you will continue to enjoy your home away from home and thank you once again for your kind review.

norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

What a wonderful hotel. It has very attractive decor and a welcoming feel. We have just stayed for three nights as three generations of women, grandmother (me), daughter and eight month old grand daughter. The hotel were very accommodating for a small baby with a travel cot all set up as a minimum. They made it as easy as possible looking after a small baby in a hotel. There were so many nice little extra touches. The staff were genuinely attentive and caring. This has to be the best hotel in Amsterdam. Thank you so much Sofitel Legend for a truly memorable experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Reading such a glowing recommendation of our hotel and service makes everyone in our team very proud.

I am very happy to read your comments about the staff being genuinely attentive and caring. I am also very glad that you enjoyed all the little extras touches that we provide to ensure all our guests have a memorable experience.

I sincerely hope we can soon welcome you back in The Grand.

Denis Dupary

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!