I guess my feelings are overshadowed by our initial experience which set the tone for the whole stay. I'll explain; when we arrived we were met by a very friendly doorman who took our bags and said they would be taken to our room, all fine so far. However when we tried to check in the receptionist asked our name and after a minute or so said we were not booked in - somewhat worrying - however it was swiftly resolved when we worked out he'd spelt our name incorrectly. No big deal but a little disconcerting for a minute or two. He then said that our room wasn't quite ready but it would be in about twenty minutes and would we like a drink in the library while we waited. Appreciating the fact that it was only 10.00am and they weren't obliged to have our room ready until 2.00pm we were pleased to have the opportunity to get in to our room and unpack our things so we said we'd wait. After 20 minutes I went and asked whether our room was ready only to be told - by another receptionist - that it would be another 45mins. At that point we decided to go out for a walk and have a quick look around. After 1 & 1/2 hours we returned only to be told that they still needed another 20 minutes for a final check. Very frustrating, why didn't they simply say when we first checked in that the room wouldn't be ready until 2.00pm - which is what we were expecting - and that way we would have gone off into town for the day and not wasting a load of our time checking if we could get into our room or not. Anyway when it was ready we were told that our luggage was in our room, so we went on up only to find no luggage and had to wait another 20 minutes for the chap to bring it up, at this point I was no mood to give him a tip which resulted in him looking at me as I'd just abused him. Then we tried to make ourselves a cup of coffee only to find there was no coffee, so much for the final check. Then we realised that the television in the bathroom had no signal, again no real problem as we didn't want to use it, we were just messing around trying things out.
Having said all that absolutely nothing else went wrong during our stay- except the very strange waitress in Bridges restaurant but that's for another review - all the staff were really friendly and they even gave me a birthday cake for free which was a very nice touch. Therefore I've still given it 4 stars but an establishment such as this should be getting 5 stars every time from me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, ACCOR, Splendia, Otel, Priceline, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel