“Best city break yet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #12 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Best city break yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

We are just back from a visit to Amsterdam staying at The Grand. The hotel was amazing. The service from the staff was really excellent. The surroundings were so plush. We enjoyed drinks in the hotel bar, where I had a fantastic Bloody Mary! We are already planning our return to The Grand as we loved every minute!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
I am pleased to read that you had such a nice sojourn at Sofitel Legend The Grand.

Please be assured that we will have your Bloody Mary ready for you for your next visit of Amsterdam and the Grand ! I look forward to welcoming you back !

Denis Dupart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Sfakia, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We loved this hotel, stayed here with my wife and son and had a blast. The staff was 5 star ,always going above and beyond to make our trip great. They arranged a tour guide to help us navigate the streets of Amsterdam and the museums to fit in the most sites in two days. We had some great meals in the in house restaurant and room services. The hotel is just steps from Dam sq. but it doesn't feel like it. Once you enter the court yard it's like being someplace else. We didn't have any issues with loud noise during our stay and our rooms where very nice! I would stay here again .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave your positive review on Tripadvisor about your stay in The Grand.

It is indeed through the smallest details that we strive to provide a high quality of service to all our guests. I will share your comments with the team: I am sure that feedback like yours will serve as an encouragement to all of them !

Thank you again and I hope to soon welcome you back in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We have just returned from a 2 day stay at this wonderful hotel. The hotel itself is a beautiful building which is very tastefully decorated. Our rooms were the perfect size for our 2 night stay and were extremely comfortable and spotlessly clean. But what really makes this hotel extra special is the staff. Our every need was looked after. From arranging transport for us to helping with one of our sons who had broken his leg nothing was too much trouble. When we returned from our meeting the staff had thoughtfully arranged a cake for our son who had been in Holland to sign a contract, congratulating him! Hopefully we will be returning to Amsterdam soon and will of course return the The Grand. We would not hesitate in recommending this hotel

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
First of all I would like to thank you for the incredible review you put on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at The Grand.

It is with great pride that I read your kind words about our team and the service you received. I will not fail to share your comments with the entire team as I know that they get a lot of satisfaction from guests who show their appreciation !

I am also delighted to learn that you will be planning to stay at The Grand on your next trip to Amsterdam; we are looking forward to welcoming you back again !

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Most certainly this is a very fine hotel. Location is excellent, just a few steps from Dam square. Service, style and environment is definitely five genuine stars. It's also spacious considering being in the middle of the cramped streets of the older parts of Ams. There's even an inner yard where you can have a drink and relax during the summer months. Standard rooms are fairly large with all the things you expect in a hotel of this caliber. Beds are very comfortable, but could be a bit soft for people with back problems. Climate control works perfectly. The staff is very correct, service minded and friendly without leading to exaggerations. Breakfast is served in the Michelin-starred restaurant "Bridges". A good variety of fruit, dairy products, ham, marmalade etc is presented - but it's not overwhelming; I've had many better breakfast experiences. Eggs are made to order and tastes ok, but nothing special. Very narrow selection of bread. Breakfast is EUR 37 which is too much for what you get.
Overall though, this hotel will deliver what you expect of a top establishment.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep with your window open, avoid rooms facing the street. Inner yard should be more...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
I am very happy to read your wonderful review about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam and I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, the facilities and the service so much.

However, I am sorry to learn that your breakfast experience was not totally to your expectations. Please rest assured that I will pass on your comments to our Food & Beverage Manager.

I hope to welcome you back in The Grand in the near future.

Kenmore Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Spent 3 nights at the Sofitel Grand in January 2014.

Booked a junior suite through a Virtuoso agent, and that led to an upgrade to a suite you could live in. The (main) bathroom was as big as some bedrooms I have stayed in at other high end hotels.

Overall, it was up to the best standards of Sofitel (or 4 Seasons, my other choice when travelling). Walking distance to the Dam (and a block from Red Light, though you would never know it in and around the hotel itself).

What blew us away was being personally approach by the guest services manager on checkout. I thought I had done something wrong! But she was simply and genuinely asking about the stay, and our travels generally, and asking whether we would return, which we will. I mentioned that my wife took a particular liking to the look of the bottle opener in the room and, before I was able to walk out the door, one of them being presented to us as a gift. Hardly an expensive gift but the gesture was unexpected and beautifully done. The whole experience was one of treating us like VIPs (which we are not). [Only discovered later that my wife said something similar to the butler as she was leaving the room, and he gave it to her, so we ended up with 2!]

Call me a sucker for flattery, but when you combine a perfect luxury stay in a beautifully upgraded historic building (a former city hall if I recall) with that kind of treatment, there is not much more to ask for. Great bar and restaurant and, for addicts like my wife, a smoking room attached to the bar which you enter and leave via a star trek like auto sliding door. Cannot go wrong.

Room Tip: You don't get Accor points if you book through a Virtuoso agent, but the room upgrade you get...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
What an incredible pleasure to read your review ! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay at The Grand so much and I would like to thank you for leaving such a nice review on Tripadvisor.

It is indeed through the smallest details that we try to give each guest a memorable experience! I will not fail to share your review with the team; they get a lot of satisfaction from guests who show their appreciation.

I hope to welcome you again in The Grand.

Moose Factory, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Amsterdam is an expensive town and the Sofitel is no different. The rooms are just big enough, but I find the beds extremely comfortable. The room is always clean and the service is what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The workout room is deferent and has equipment I've only seen there, but works if you understand how to use it. There is art everywhere through out the hotel and it's perfectly centred. The breakfast is good and has most everything on the menu, but staff can be slow at lest the last couple of days I was there. Overall I would stay here if my first pick is full.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words about your stay in The Grand. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our gym and that you liked our comfortable beds from the MyBed concept.

It is however unfotunate that your experience during breakfast was not as expected. Please rest assured that I will pass on your comments to our Restaurant Manager.

I do hope you will consider staying at The Grand again and look forward to welcoming you back.

Denis Dupart

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!