“Classy haven in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #9 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Stockholm, Sweden
“Classy haven in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Most certainly this is a very fine hotel. Location is excellent, just a few steps from Dam square. Service, style and environment is definitely five genuine stars. It's also spacious considering being in the middle of the cramped streets of the older parts of Ams. There's even an inner yard where you can have a drink and relax during the summer months. Standard rooms are fairly large with all the things you expect in a hotel of this caliber. Beds are very comfortable, but could be a bit soft for people with back problems. Climate control works perfectly. The staff is very correct, service minded and friendly without leading to exaggerations. Breakfast is served in the Michelin-starred restaurant "Bridges". A good variety of fruit, dairy products, ham, marmalade etc is presented - but it's not overwhelming; I've had many better breakfast experiences. Eggs are made to order and tastes ok, but nothing special. Very narrow selection of bread. Breakfast is EUR 37 which is too much for what you get.
Overall though, this hotel will deliver what you expect of a top establishment.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep with your window open, avoid rooms facing the street. Inner yard should be more...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
I am very happy to read your wonderful review about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam and I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, the facilities and the service so much.

However, I am sorry to learn that your breakfast experience was not totally to your expectations. Please rest assured that I will pass on your comments to our Food & Beverage Manager.

I hope to welcome you back in The Grand in the near future.

Denis Dupart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Kenmore Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Spent 3 nights at the Sofitel Grand in January 2014.

Booked a junior suite through a Virtuoso agent, and that led to an upgrade to a suite you could live in. The (main) bathroom was as big as some bedrooms I have stayed in at other high end hotels.

Overall, it was up to the best standards of Sofitel (or 4 Seasons, my other choice when travelling). Walking distance to the Dam (and a block from Red Light, though you would never know it in and around the hotel itself).

What blew us away was being personally approach by the guest services manager on checkout. I thought I had done something wrong! But she was simply and genuinely asking about the stay, and our travels generally, and asking whether we would return, which we will. I mentioned that my wife took a particular liking to the look of the bottle opener in the room and, before I was able to walk out the door, one of them being presented to us as a gift. Hardly an expensive gift but the gesture was unexpected and beautifully done. The whole experience was one of treating us like VIPs (which we are not). [Only discovered later that my wife said something similar to the butler as she was leaving the room, and he gave it to her, so we ended up with 2!]

Call me a sucker for flattery, but when you combine a perfect luxury stay in a beautifully upgraded historic building (a former city hall if I recall) with that kind of treatment, there is not much more to ask for. Great bar and restaurant and, for addicts like my wife, a smoking room attached to the bar which you enter and leave via a star trek like auto sliding door. Cannot go wrong.

Room Tip: You don't get Accor points if you book through a Virtuoso agent, but the room upgrade you get...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
What an incredible pleasure to read your review ! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay at The Grand so much and I would like to thank you for leaving such a nice review on Tripadvisor.

It is indeed through the smallest details that we try to give each guest a memorable experience! I will not fail to share your review with the team; they get a lot of satisfaction from guests who show their appreciation.

I hope to welcome you again in The Grand.

Moose Factory, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Amsterdam is an expensive town and the Sofitel is no different. The rooms are just big enough, but I find the beds extremely comfortable. The room is always clean and the service is what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The workout room is deferent and has equipment I've only seen there, but works if you understand how to use it. There is art everywhere through out the hotel and it's perfectly centred. The breakfast is good and has most everything on the menu, but staff can be slow at lest the last couple of days I was there. Overall I would stay here if my first pick is full.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words about your stay in The Grand. I am glad to read that you enjoyed our gym and that you liked our comfortable beds from the MyBed concept.

It is however unfotunate that your experience during breakfast was not as expected. Please rest assured that I will pass on your comments to our Restaurant Manager.

I do hope you will consider staying at The Grand again and look forward to welcoming you back.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, with acres of history and culture. It is stylish, classy, historical, modern and old with great customer service. I was there speaking at a conference and so had two nights in a 4th floor room overlooking the canal. From arriving to departing, the staff could not help more, at the check in, to breakfast and just around. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice and more could always be made for you. Lunch was lovely and light. Dinner was good. The rooms are all quite different, mine was nice, though it could have done with more plug sockets and the lighting was too soft to work easily. Bathroom was smart and clean and modern. I will definately go back on a social/holiday basis. The only downside was my spa treatment - massage - which was not bad, but not up to the quality of the rest of the hotel or any other top spa i have used

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on our hotel on Tripadvisor. I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Grand.

Perhaps next time you are in Amsterdam and hopefully again staying in The Grand, you would like to join the historical tour that is offered daily. This tour gives a little bit more insight of the hotel, for example on our Marriage Chamber that was painted in 1926 by Chris Lebeau.

I am sorry however to read that you are less satisfied with the quality of the spa treatment. Plese rest assured that I will share your comments with the Spa Manager.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back in The Grand !

Leominster, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed at The Grand on a recent business trip. My company was holding a conference at the hotel. I had a standard room, which was small but well-appointed and very comfortable. The location is central Amsterdam on one of the main canals, with a great deal to see and do within a short walk.
The hotel is upscale with excellent service. The dining room was excellent; I believe it has a Michelin star. The conference facilities were across the courtyard in a separate building and accommodated our needs quite nicely.
I enjoyed my stay, but I might look for something a bit less expensive if I were traveling with my family.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in The Grand. We find it extremely important that each and every guest, regardless whether you are here for business or leisure, feels comfortable during his stay and that he will lack nothing !

We hope that, even though you might have found The Grand a bit expensive, you will consider staying with us on your next trip to Amsterdam, with your family.

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The hotel has 2 great qualities:
1- It is a very high end hotel, with beautiful interior decoration, art pieces, etc.
2- It is very centrally located

One word of caution: you can walk from the central train station to the hotel, but don't be surprised/scared (?) if you find yourself walking through the red light district. The hotel is literally just at the edge of the district. Some nice restaurants around too.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and it’s location. It is a pleasure to read that you appreciated the design and art in the hotel.
Indeed we are super centrally located, which gives our guests the opportunity to easily explore Amsterdam.

We hope you will choose The Grand again should you visit Amsterdam in the future.

Denis Dupart

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!