“A first rate hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #9 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Poulton-Le-Fylde
“A first rate hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

For those who want assured comfort, first rate service and an outstanding breakfast then look no further than this hotel for your trip to Amsterdam.
On arrival, we were treated with exceptional courtesy and helpfulness by a young lady on reception. She was dressed with care, had poise and a very natural manner, they say that reception staff are critical as they are the human face of the hotel, well this young lady did the hotel proud and gave my wife and I the confidence to know that we had chosen wisely. The room was great, lovely bed, 2 Bose CD players / radios, a Nespresso machine, 2 TVs with English channels, a good wet room, Hermes toiletries etc. All was well and very comfortable. Extras like an evening turn down, a turn down treat and very importantly a bottle of mineral water were all very welcome.
The highlight of our stay was the breakfast buffet which in our opinion rates alongside those you get at Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental properties. The range and lay out were both superb. The staff were gracious, well dressed, helpful and induced a state of relaxation - a very pleasant start to the day!
We were lucky enough to dine in Bridges Restaurant during our stay. This is one star Michelin restaurant and has a modern design. Service once again was excellent, the food was very good and proved to be worthy of a star - the accent is on fish and presentation both of which were cooked / designed in a worthy way. We both had the six course taster menu and I accompanied my food with the appropriate wine. Wine service was very good and very knowledgeable. The wine was served in an informative way with no hint of intimidation or superior knowledge.
The hotel is centrally located, has a lovely outdoor courtyard which must be great in the summer. Concierge service was excellent, flower arrangements in the lobby were outstanding and service in the library bar, like elsewhere in the hotel, was very good.
All in all, an excellent hotel, ranked, in my opinion, amongst the best in Europe.
I nearly forgot to mention the Flying Dutchman bar, tiny and tucked away but with a super barman, nip in for a drink and a chat - well worth it!

Room Tip: Get a bed and breakfast deal.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Wow, I guess every hotel wishes to receive such a positive review ! Thank you very much for your gracious compliments. Your kind words are truly appreciated and I will make sure they will be shared with everyone involved.

These positive comments help to continue to nurture a culture of hospitality that is a strong focus in everything that we try to do, every day; and I cannot thank you enough for sharing them at Tripadvisor.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Denis Dupart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The trip was fantastic in everyway from check in to leaving. Food was great, and the bar downstairs was awesome!

The rooms were really nice and the Sofitel beds are like sleeping in clouds! Not sure how they do it, but those beds are insanely good!

Only negative was the construction. Directly next to my room they were drilling from 7-8am onwards and it was EXTREMELY loud. The rooms got hot at night and opening the windows was the only way for it to cool down, but then the noise would make your ears bleed. After drinking a lot downstairs and sleeping light from being drunk, it was very hard to sleep through the noise. This was everyday during the 3 days I was there and could be heard from my friends rooms also which were a few rooms down.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
First of all I would like to thank you for your kind words about the service, the food, the bar and the bed.
Did you know that you can purchase a Sofitel MyBed, so you can sleep ‘in the clouds’ as you write so elegantly, in your own home ! Please contact us for more information.

I was however very disappointed to learn about the disturbance you experienced during your stay. We sincerely regret that this has been a nuisance that has influenced your experience with us. In fact, we are currently working on double glazing all the windows in the hotel, hence the noise from the construction works.

I do hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the near future to prove ourselves a better host, and that we can accommodate you in one of our rooms with double glazed windows.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Booked a two night stay and got upgraded to a suite....beautiful amenities, nice decor, very warm welcome...had a great treatment in the spa....dinner in the restaurant....beautiful breakfast...nice views to the canals...vibrating location...thank you to Kees and Moreno

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
I thank you for leaving these positive comments on Tripadvisor regarding your recent visit at The Grand. I will pass on your kind words to the entire staff and especially to Kees and Moreno.

We try to give each guest a memorable experience and by reading your review I believe we succeeded in doing so.

I hope to soon welcome you back in Sofitel Legend The Grand.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed for the weekend and felt very well looked after! Very friendly staff, beautiful hotel, perfect location for sightseeing and shopping, comfy bed and tasty breakfast. We couldn't have asked for more and we would definitely return!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us, here in The Grand, and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future !

Thank you for your wonderful review !

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I honestly can't say that I'm a fan of generic Sofitels, but the Grand Amsterdam is a different beast altogether. The hotel is perfect on so many levels: the decoration is very cool, the rooms are comfortable and the staff is amazing. I stayed for 2 days last week during the 2014 ISE convention and, although I'd pick a bigger room next time around, my superior room was great: silent, cosy, great bathroom and about 10 meters from the pool (small and not deep enough, but very nice nevertheless and relaxing after a day of walking the convention floor.

I didn't have a chance to try the restaurants for anything else but breakfast, but that alone was amazing, both because of the widest variety of choices I had seen in a long time and also because everything I tasted was good.

The staff, be it reception, doormen, waiters/tresses or staff simply walking by were always kind and genuinely helpful.

Kudos to the manager, you run a tight, very agreeable ship!

Room Tip: My superior twin was a bit cramped. I'll choose a bigger one next time.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
It is a true pleasure to read your amazing review about your stay in The Grand ! Your positive feedback is much appreciated and I will definitely share it with the entire staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam on your next trip to Amsterdam and I hope that at that occasion you will be able to try our Michelin star reataurant “Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw”.

Odessa, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

The hotel situated is historical building of former city hall with quite and silent yard. There are walking distance to majority attractions of the city ( few hundred meters to Dam square ).
The building is well maintained and absorbed the spirit of glorious history of this place. The breakfast hall is situated in the former assembly hall. It provides a special shade of glamour .
Visited with family ( 2 kids) in first week of 2014. We were accommodated in 2 luxury rooms. There are not any complains to the rooms ( sufficient size and good equipped ).
The bathrooms provided by Hermes perfumes. We faced problem with bedding – one of our kids got allergic reaction from feather bed.
We were slightly disappointed by hotel staff. We did not observe the proper attention and skills.
There were a lot of minor omissions of the staff which are not acceptable in 5 star hotel (housekeeping department, catering, etc. ) . We stay in the hotel for 6 days and every morning were confused by wrong invoice for breakfast. I reported the problem to reception. Unfortunately, I faced the same problem next day.
Unfortunately ( or fortunately ), we lost the possibility to visit the hotel restaurant Bridges. We visited restaurant in the morning in order to select table for New eve dinner and were badly surprised by the smell of dishwasher machine in the restaurant hall. We had to select the alternative restaurant for such event.
The general impression – hotel does not achieve declared level of 5 star hotel and the glorious history of the building does not correspond to actual level of service provided there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

We are sorry that your child suffered from an allergic reaction because of the feather bed. Please be advised that we will be pleased to prepare the bed with anti-allergic bedding and linnen when you decide to come back to us.

With regards to the cancelled dinner, we have certainly addressed this matter to the responsible manager.

I am also very sorry to learn about the confusion about the breakfast invoices, as this is not in line with our standards. I regret even more that you were disappointed with the service provided and that the issue re-occurred the next day.
We take pride in providing our guests faultless service; we hope that we get the chance to welcome you and your family back, so that we can prove ourselves a better host.

With kind regarsd,

Canvey Island, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is a really lovely hotel, in an elegant building perfectly located to make the best of all that Amsterdam has to offer. The staff are friendly and courteous, they make every effort to remember you and call you by name, which in our case was incredible as we were only there for one night! We upgraded to a luxury king room which was spacious, beautifully decorated with an extremely comfortable bed. In all a wonderful stay in a great hotel. I would have no hesitation in staying at the Sofitel Grand Legend again should I find myself in Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
It makes me really proud of the entire team here at The Grand when I read such a wonderful review. Through the smallest details we try to provide all our guests an unforgettable experience

I will definitely share your lovely compliments with the staff.

I hope to soon welcome you back in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Denis Dupart

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!