“fantastic location and service...the place to be” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #12 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“fantastic location and service...the place to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

Booked a two night stay and got upgraded to a suite....beautiful amenities, nice decor, very warm welcome...had a great treatment in the spa....dinner in the restaurant....beautiful breakfast...nice views to the canals...vibrating location...thank you to Kees and Moreno

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
I thank you for leaving these positive comments on Tripadvisor regarding your recent visit at The Grand. I will pass on your kind words to the entire staff and especially to Kees and Moreno.

We try to give each guest a memorable experience and by reading your review I believe we succeeded in doing so.

I hope to soon welcome you back in Sofitel Legend The Grand.

Denis Dupart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We stayed for the weekend and felt very well looked after! Very friendly staff, beautiful hotel, perfect location for sightseeing and shopping, comfy bed and tasty breakfast. We couldn't have asked for more and we would definitely return!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us, here in The Grand, and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future !

Thank you for your wonderful review !

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

I honestly can't say that I'm a fan of generic Sofitels, but the Grand Amsterdam is a different beast altogether. The hotel is perfect on so many levels: the decoration is very cool, the rooms are comfortable and the staff is amazing. I stayed for 2 days last week during the 2014 ISE convention and, although I'd pick a bigger room next time around, my superior room was great: silent, cosy, great bathroom and about 10 meters from the pool (small and not deep enough, but very nice nevertheless and relaxing after a day of walking the convention floor.

I didn't have a chance to try the restaurants for anything else but breakfast, but that alone was amazing, both because of the widest variety of choices I had seen in a long time and also because everything I tasted was good.

The staff, be it reception, doormen, waiters/tresses or staff simply walking by were always kind and genuinely helpful.

Kudos to the manager, you run a tight, very agreeable ship!

Room Tip: My superior twin was a bit cramped. I'll choose a bigger one next time.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
It is a true pleasure to read your amazing review about your stay in The Grand ! Your positive feedback is much appreciated and I will definitely share it with the entire staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam on your next trip to Amsterdam and I hope that at that occasion you will be able to try our Michelin star reataurant “Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw”.

Odessa, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

The hotel situated is historical building of former city hall with quite and silent yard. There are walking distance to majority attractions of the city ( few hundred meters to Dam square ).
The building is well maintained and absorbed the spirit of glorious history of this place. The breakfast hall is situated in the former assembly hall. It provides a special shade of glamour .
Visited with family ( 2 kids) in first week of 2014. We were accommodated in 2 luxury rooms. There are not any complains to the rooms ( sufficient size and good equipped ).
The bathrooms provided by Hermes perfumes. We faced problem with bedding – one of our kids got allergic reaction from feather bed.
We were slightly disappointed by hotel staff. We did not observe the proper attention and skills.
There were a lot of minor omissions of the staff which are not acceptable in 5 star hotel (housekeeping department, catering, etc. ) . We stay in the hotel for 6 days and every morning were confused by wrong invoice for breakfast. I reported the problem to reception. Unfortunately, I faced the same problem next day.
Unfortunately ( or fortunately ), we lost the possibility to visit the hotel restaurant Bridges. We visited restaurant in the morning in order to select table for New eve dinner and were badly surprised by the smell of dishwasher machine in the restaurant hall. We had to select the alternative restaurant for such event.
The general impression – hotel does not achieve declared level of 5 star hotel and the glorious history of the building does not correspond to actual level of service provided there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

We are sorry that your child suffered from an allergic reaction because of the feather bed. Please be advised that we will be pleased to prepare the bed with anti-allergic bedding and linnen when you decide to come back to us.

With regards to the cancelled dinner, we have certainly addressed this matter to the responsible manager.

I am also very sorry to learn about the confusion about the breakfast invoices, as this is not in line with our standards. I regret even more that you were disappointed with the service provided and that the issue re-occurred the next day.
We take pride in providing our guests faultless service; we hope that we get the chance to welcome you and your family back, so that we can prove ourselves a better host.

With kind regarsd,

Canvey Island, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is a really lovely hotel, in an elegant building perfectly located to make the best of all that Amsterdam has to offer. The staff are friendly and courteous, they make every effort to remember you and call you by name, which in our case was incredible as we were only there for one night! We upgraded to a luxury king room which was spacious, beautifully decorated with an extremely comfortable bed. In all a wonderful stay in a great hotel. I would have no hesitation in staying at the Sofitel Grand Legend again should I find myself in Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
It makes me really proud of the entire team here at The Grand when I read such a wonderful review. Through the smallest details we try to provide all our guests an unforgettable experience

I will definitely share your lovely compliments with the staff.

I hope to soon welcome you back in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Poole
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is an excellent hotel and one of the best Sofitel hotels we have stayed at in Europe. The the facade certainly lives up to the hotel's name "The Grand Amsterdam" and from the moment you walk in you are made aware that this is an establishment that specializes in high quality customer care.

Our room was excellent with a lovely walk-in shower and as we have come to expect in the Sofitel range a very comfortable bed.

Our only complaint was that the very excellent breakfast was pretty expensive at Euro 37 per head; the reason was that they maintain a Michelin one star style of service and food but perhaps one doesn't need that at breakfast time. We didn't have a chance to eat in the main restaurant but the bar snacks and other offerings were all of a good quality.

As a platinum card holder I am obviously biased towards the brand but this is, in my view, one of their best hotels. It is a pity that the back-office of Accor cannot allocate points properly to their loyalty card and are totally unresponsive to requests to get the matter sorted out. This undermines all the hard work of the staff in the hotels giving excellent service.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the canal at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
What a wonderful review about our hotel ! I would sincerely like to thank you for your kind words.

The Sofitel range of beds are called MyBed and are indeed super comfortable. Should you wish to have an equally comfortable bed at home, please contact us and we will give you the required information.

I am sorry to read that you experienced some difficulties with the allocation of your loyalty points. We will pass on your comments about the loyalty card to our Accor headoffice.

Thank you once again for your positive review and I hope to soon welcome you back in The Grand.

Fife, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We had a wonderful second stay here, this time with our 11-month old son. We stayed from the 29th of November to the 1st of December, to visit the Christmas markets and do a bit of Christmas shopping. The hotel is in such a fabulous location, only a short walk from Dam Square and central for a lot of restaurants. The doorman had to stop the revolving door for us each time we went in and out of the hotel, but it wasn't an issue. Sometimes we used the restaurant door instead. We were given a beautiful suite, which was all set up with a travel cot for our son. There was also a microwave oven in the kitchenette, so heating bottles and baby food was made easy. There was a heated toilet seat! My husband thought it was a strange sensation, but I loved it. The hotel provided treats throughout our stay, little chocolates and a cake for our son.
Breakfast was excellent. We love the smoothies and everything we had was fab. I had scrambled egg on our first morning and waffles on the second.
Our room came with a butler service and they offered to pack our suitcases for us! Very tempting but I am happy enough doing this myself.
We had a lovely stay at this hotel, it's wonderful. We hope to return again sometime.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
I am happy to read you had a pleasant stay in our hotel. It is indeed through small gestures, such as the little chocolates and cakes for your son, that we try to make each stay for our guests extra memorable.

Should you wish to come back to Amsterdam to do some Christmas shopping in December, we recommend you come as of the second week of the month, as the hotel will then have spectacular Christmas decorations; that way you will certainly experience the festive holiday atmosphere.

Denis Dupart

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!