“Luxury and Very Grand” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #10 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Luxury and Very Grand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of times, beautiful hotel. Room was very nice, luxurious and lovely comfortable bed . Nespresso machine was great . If you want posh then this it, couldn't fault it in anyway. The Jackson 4 were there doing an art opening in the hotel we stumbled into the foyer to be met with a group of paparazzi not the best when you've had one too many.
On the edge of Red Light district and very central to get around , 5 minute walk to Dam Square.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you very much for leaving your most valued feedback on Tripadvisor.

It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. The Sofitel My|Bed and the Nespresso machine are the key elements of our rooms, and I am happy to learn that this has contributed to your experience. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to Amsterdam in the near future.

Denis Dupart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Lagos, Nigeria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have been so lucky to stay here a few times, and I am also very lucky that I get to stay at a number of amazing and superb hotels, and The Grand Amsterdam is right up there as one of my absolute favourites in the world.

Glamour, opulence and style, with a service philosophy bettered by no one. The location of the hotel can't be beaten, if you are in the city for business or vacation this is exactly the place to be. It is right in the heart of everything.

Like so many european city hotels the rooms are a bit small, but beatifully furnished. The hotel is big, but it feels like a real boutique, it feels smaller than it is. The restaurant is very good, I had three great meals there and always with the best wines. The hotel is spotless clean, the internet is as expected, the bathroom a little small and maybe needs a few more lights, but for anything that can be read as a negative, don't, this is simple the best, by a long long way.

Room Tip: Size is not everything. Get a room with a canal view, very relaxing
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
First of all I would like to thank you for the effort of leaving such a wonderful comment on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read your kind words.

I am more than pleased to learn that you have experienced the hotel as ‘glamorous’ and that our service level has been living up to your expectations. I speak for the entire team when I say we look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This is an amazing hotel. It has everything going for it and the service level makes it that much more special. The hotel is located on one of the canals and is very close to the centre of Amsterdam. Less than a 5 minute walk to all the sights and attractions. It is also right next door to the red light district if you want that experience. We booked a Junior Suite which was an amazing room, very well appointed and modern. Looked directly out onto the canal. The staff are what make the hotel special. They make it their mission to know your name and treat you like you are a special guest. We had an issue with an unruly set of guests in the room beside us, having a party until 4am. The entire staff in the hotel became aware of this and they went out of their way to apologise and sent a bottle of Moet to our room with a card. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting Amsterdam, which incidentally is a great city.

Room Tip: Book a Junior suite and ask for a canal view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave such a wonderful comment on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that we have been able to create a memorable experience for you, despite the fact that you were disturbed during your first night. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed the room and I would like to thank you for your kind words, also about our employees.

I, and the entire team here at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam look forward to welcoming you back to Amsterdam.

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in this hotel in an executive room overlooking the canal and quaint canal street houses typical of Amsterdam. The room was small but luxurious - as was the bathroom. The overall ambience of the hotel was warm, welcoming and calm and felt like an oasis of peace and quiet amongst the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam. Dam Square is a 2 minute walk away and the alluring sites of the red district 5 minutes away, but can be avoided if easily shocked !
Try this hotel, but don't expect an upgrade unless you are willing to pay a price way beyond our pockets !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
I am very happy to read you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. The city centre of Amsterdam indeed tents to be quite busy and noisy; we are therefore happy to offer you a quiet and tranquil place where you can relax and enjoy your stay in the town.
We hope to welcome you back in Amsterdam ánd The Grand.

San Jose, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Great location in central Amsterdam, walking distance to many tourist areas. Very comfortable hotel, very attentive and professional staff. Never had a bad stay here. Hotel rest. Bridges is a great place, excellent wines and foot. Definitely worth a stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for leaving these wonderful words on Tripadvisor about your recent visit with us.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel, our restaurant and our service. In addition I am happy to read that our central location has helped you to find your way throughout the city.
Thank you again for your compliments and I hope that we may welcome you back in The Grand.

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I've traveled quite a lot and I've been to many great hotels in Europe but there is nothing really like this one. Everything was immaculate! attention to details at the highest level. I proposed to my girlfriend there and it was really quite something. The hotel itself is extraordinary. Everything is clean and our room was outstanding. The location couldn't be more perfect. The bed is the best bed I've ever slept in but what makes this hotel perfect is the staff. Let me begin with the concierge, they planned everything for me and it was absolutely amazing. They arranged a saloon boat for a 3 course dinner, bought me some flowers and booked me everything I needed. They are the best concierge team I've ever dealt with. Secondly, the reception staff were helpful, quick check in and check out, they even upgraded my junior suite to another suite because they knew I was proposing. Our butler (yes butlers come with every suite you book) Carlos is really phenomenal, ask him anything and he will do it for you. he made our stay one to remember, he was just simply faultless.
My recommendation is: get a suite (you won't regret it), ask the concierge for anything(and tip them), try the lobster bisque and enjoy sleeping in the world's most comfortable bed.

One more thing is I didn't really quite enjoy my dinner at the Bridges restaurant , mainly because the service was quite poor compared to the Ciel bleu which was more than perfect and much better to be honest. The food was brilliant thou. If you have the budget for both then try both out but if you have to choose definitely the Ciel bleu wins.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor of your recent stay in Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.
It is with great pride that I read your kind words about our team, as we all get a lot of satisfaction from guests who show their appreciation. I have therefore shared your review with the entire team.
Through the smallest details we try to give each guest a memorable experience.
We hope to welcome you and your fiancée back in The Grand in the near future, as well as in our restaurant Bridges, Inspired by Ron Blaauw, so that we can prove ourselves a better host.

Denis Dupart

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!