“Legend-ary!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
MAGNIFIQUE BREAKFAST
Ranked #12 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Jakarta
“Legend-ary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I stayed at Sofitel Legend for 4 nights while I was in Amsterdam for work. I really like the location of the hotel, just by the canal at the edge of the red-light district. The room was not exactly big, but more than adequate size. The hotel has such rich history that it that there are tours being organized to walkthrough the hotel. Definitely a hotel I would go back to.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
It is a delight to read your legendary experiences at The Grand. Thank you for taking the time to share this on TripAdvisor.

It is indeed true that our the hotel has a very extended history and I am very pleased that you were able to join our daily historical tour. Furthermore, I am happy to read that the central location as well as your room were convenient for you.
We hope to welcome you back during your next visit in Amsterdam.

1,334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed here in September 2013 for two days in a canal view room.The service and the room can only described as perfect,the location is great and close to everything.We were coming to the end of a seven week holiday and found the Grand Amsterdam to be one of the best if not the best and would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 436 has a canal view large lounge and separate bedroom and in the bathroom a spa with a tv.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful comment on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that we have been able to live up to your rightful expectations, as it is our aim to provide a flawless service.
I must say it is an absolute pleasure to read that we have been able to contribute to the stay of experienced travelers who have just spend 7 weeks travelling!

My team and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Amsterdam in the near future.

Hamburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

I spend three nights in this hotel on a weekend in October 2013 and I can only recommend it. The hotel is centrally located in the edge of the red light district in the old city. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable with huge, extra cosy beds. The bathroom was a bit on the small side but had all the luxuries one can expect. The only downside here was that it is only separated by a glass door from the room which does not provide too much privacy in certain situations. Apart from the that room was simply great.

The service is outstanding. The staff was always very attentive and friendly. The noticed by themselves that one of the days was my girlfiend's birthday and surprised us with a birthday cake in our room. Very thoughtful!

All in all: Location, rooms and in particular the service could not be better.

Only the spa left some room for improvement. This is the reason why I gave "only" four stars for this place. Sauna and pool are niche but there is no real chill-out zone available. You have to sit in one of the chairs by the pool which can be a bit noisy and there is no room to lie back. Also the massages service was not what we expected. The masseur did not speak much English (which is seldom in the Netherlands) and the massage session was interrupted several times by other people entering the room by mistake. Not very relaxing. These are all complaints on a very high level - but hey it is luxury hotel and the spa (and only the spa!) did not fully match our expectations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am delighted to read your kind words about the service we offer. At The Grand it is our daily passion to create memorable experiences and it is pleasure to read we have succeeded in your matter.

I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding our So|Spa. I would like to assure you that we will take your comments into action.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you back in the near future.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I recently stayed a week at this superb hotel. The entire staff (particularly those who served breakfast) were simply outstanding. The breakfast itself was exceptional, and the rooms were a delight to come back to after long walks exploring the city. The location is great, enabling us to easily explore one of the world's great cities. The building itself is lovely and historically interesting. We will be back (if the budget allows it!).

Room Tip: Our room (242) overlooks a canal and was perfect!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam for your recent stay. It is most kind of you to leave such a lovely comment on TripAdvisor, especially your delightful words about our breakfast team are very much appreciated. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed the location of the hotel that provided you quick access to the city centre.

We are all looking forward to welcome you back to The Grand next time you are in Amsterdam.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

I have just enjoyed a 4 night stay at this hotel and, although it is expensive, I cannot find any fault with it. It has to be one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and I do travel a lot. The building itself is magnificent and full of historical interest (there are daily 20 minute tours explaining its history). The location is perfect - 5-10 minutes to Dam Square, the staff are wonderfully friendly and eager to help and the beds!!! What can I say?? I have never slept in such a big, comfortable, squashy bed before! It is a truly luxurious hotel and this is reflected in the price but I have stayed in other 5 star hotels that have not been so deserving. I hope to stay here again some day!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
I am very pleased to read your enjoyable stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. Your description of the Sofitel My|Bed is just a delight to read!

It is indeed correct that our building has a very rich history which goes all the way back to the 15th century. I am therefore very happy to read that you were able to join our daily historical tour.

The entire team and I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back soon.

Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

The warmest of welcomes and friendliest staff make you feel right at home from the moment you arrive . We were here as part of an anniversary trip and they sent champagne to help us celebrate within minutes of checking in . This historic building is beautiful and the fitout has done it justice . The room was stylishly decorated , spacious and light . Great bathroom and amenities .Wonderfully comfortable bed . The communal spaces - Bar , reception , breakfast room etc are again stylish and the floral displays stunning . The garden and terrace offer a quiet and beautiful retreat from the bustle and buzz of Amsterdam streets . A great place to stay . We'll definitely be back .

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you very much for the effort you took to leave your lovely comment on TripAdvisor. It a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed the historical building and floral arrangements by our award winning floral boutique the Floral Designers.

It was a honor to contribute to the special occasion you were celebrating with us and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Denis Dupart

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!