“Beautiful and sumptuous ” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
UP TO 30% - EARLY BOOKING
Ranked #12 of 349 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Beautiful and sumptuous ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We are just back from a fantastic 4 day break at this hotel. Brought our 4 children, booked 2 rooms. Expensive but worth it.

The staff are just lovely and couldn't have been more welcoming to our children. Even at breakfast when our toddler refused to sit down. The restaurant manager couldn't have been warmer or happier to see us in the morning and the breakfasts are luxurious and delicious. Definitely suggest a b&b rate as otherwise expensive.

Location is perfect for exploring and the hotel has great restaurant recommendations including casual and good value ones.

We would love to return.

Stayed October 2013
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your most kinds words on TripAdvisor, and I speak on the behalf of the entire team when I say they are a true motivator for everyone.

It is a true pleasure to read that you and your family have enjoyed the central location of the hotel and the recommendations given by my team. May I suggest that we also offer family rates which might be beneficial if we would have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our hotel.

Denis Dupart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

First of all, the staff make you feel special the moment you arrive.
I brought my car with me from home, which was whisked away by the concierge to be parked for the duration of my stay (Euro 50 per day), as the charm of this Hotel is it is so central.
Check in is immediate, and very smooth, and room 450 is a wonderful spacious suite, with a Bose music system, Huge walk in shower, large bath, plenty of free Evian water, a well stocked mini bar, and all the wonderful Hermes products you expect from Sofitel world wide.
I ate in the main restaurant, and I have to say the food was first class - I am quite surprised they don't have a Michelin star!, and the service is impeccable.
I did not find the time to use the Spa sadly, but the bar's and restaurants were all very good.

I have to rank this Hotel as one of the best I have stayed in world wide, perhaps THE best.
It's central position, and amazing service, coupled with superb food choices.

Well done Accor/Sofitel - now sort out your Paris Hotels please!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
I would like to thank you for sharing this lovely comment. Every day it is our passion to treat all of our guests with our products and services.

I am very pleased to read that the luxury room you booked was so comfortable for you. Moreover, we are honoured to read the grand words you dedicated to our restaurant Bridges.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reims, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

All was perfect : reception, room, restaurant (excellent fish food), breakfast. In the city center. Sofitel is a great quality made. It was the city hall of Amsterdam. The renovation of the hotel is very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
It is always a pleasure to read a wonderful review like yours on TripAdvisor, thank you! I am most pleased to read that you enjoyed our award-winning restaurant Bridges where we combine the French cuisine with local ingredients.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Salvador, BA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Everything is perfect, the historic building is fantastic, the rooms are beutifuls and well decor, the breakfast very good, there are restarants in side, the service is efecient and lovely, a nice place to stay in I Am Ster Dam. The price is the right price for here.

Stayed October 2013
I am delighted to read your perfect stay in our historical hotel. Thank you for sharing this with us. It is our passion to indulge all of our guest.

I, and the entire team here at The Grand, would be honored to welcome you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for four nights recently. Check-in was a breeze with a really friendly and helpful staff member who showed me up to my room and explained its features. The standard of service for the whole time was really exceptional - quick and nothing was too much trouble, and this was consistent across all staff.

The room was a good size and really well designed and fitted out. Plush bedding (like sleeping on a cloud) and high quality all around.

Internet is free but on the slow side, but you can pay EUR17.95/day to upgrade to something more reasonable in terms of speed.

The food was amazing - we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner on various occasions. First class - breakfast for example was a lovely range of continental options plus freshly made eggs, bacon etc on order.

The room was well serviced and really clean.

There is a lovely lounge downstairs with fire places and comfy chairs.

The hotel is well located, on a main canal and within close walking distance to most of the attractions in Amsterdam. It was an old cloister and so is in a square shape, which makes it a little to get to some parts of it e.g. from my room on level 5 to the gym on level 1 meant going to level 3 and walking around the square to change lifts and go down to level 1.

The gym itself was very small - four cardio machines, some free weights and a weight machine. It was part of a wellness area and that had a pool, which looked alright but I didn't go in.

I'd definitely stay here again. It felt very welcoming and friendly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I am honored to read such a wonderful stay in our hotel. Your grand words are a true motivator for the team to keep delivering the highest level of service.

It is a true pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our signature Sofitel My|Bed as well as the experience you had in our restaurant Bridges and the Library d’Or. It is our passion to combine the French cuisine with local ingredients.

I, and the entire team here at The Grand, look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

stayed for buisness so was in and out of the hotel all day and in to the night. Great food in the restaurant, everything there when I needed it.

Room was smallish but it was the cheapest room in the hotel so to be expected

Would definatley stay there again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing this lovely experience. It is a delight to read that our hotel was according to your needs but most of all that you had the opportunity to experience our award winning restaurant Bridges.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your next business trip in Amsterdam.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

There are loads of fantastic boutique hotels in Amsterdam, on canals, all charming... and I've stayed in several. There are always tradeoffs with them. Size, weird layout of room, front desk in another building, etc. With the Sofitel Grand Amsterdam, it's everything I want... perfect location (walking distance to all historic venues and areas in Amsterdam) and possesses all of the big hotel services and comforts (the beds are amazing). The Sofitel isn't cheap. in fact, it can be outrageously expensive - as it was when I stayed there. And in those cases you may have to think about something else less pricey. But if you can get a good deal, the location and comfort is well worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Denis D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam and sharing such a wonderful comment on TripAdvisor. Your lovely words about the Sofitel MyBed confirms the aim we have to let our guests experience how it feels to ‘sleep on a cloud’ and it makes me very proud of this Sofitel concept.
It is our passion to give all of our guests a comfortable feeling and to fulfill all their wishes.
We are all looking forward to welcome you back at The Grand next time you are in Amsterdam.
Denis Dupart

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!