“A gem in Amsterdam - service and food a real feature” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, Amsterdam 1012 EX, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
MAGNIFIQUE BREAKFAST
Ranked #13 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
“A gem in Amsterdam - service and food a real feature”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for four nights recently. Check-in was a breeze with a really friendly and helpful staff member who showed me up to my room and explained its features. The standard of service for the whole time was really exceptional - quick and nothing was too much trouble, and this was consistent across all staff.

The room was a good size and really well designed and fitted out. Plush bedding (like sleeping on a cloud) and high quality all around.

Internet is free but on the slow side, but you can pay EUR17.95/day to upgrade to something more reasonable in terms of speed.

The food was amazing - we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner on various occasions. First class - breakfast for example was a lovely range of continental options plus freshly made eggs, bacon etc on order.

The room was well serviced and really clean.

There is a lovely lounge downstairs with fire places and comfy chairs.

The hotel is well located, on a main canal and within close walking distance to most of the attractions in Amsterdam. It was an old cloister and so is in a square shape, which makes it a little to get to some parts of it e.g. from my room on level 5 to the gym on level 1 meant going to level 3 and walking around the square to change lifts and go down to level 1.

The gym itself was very small - four cardio machines, some free weights and a weight machine. It was part of a wellness area and that had a pool, which looked alright but I didn't go in.

I'd definitely stay here again. It felt very welcoming and friendly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dupart D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
I am honored to read such a wonderful stay in our hotel. Your grand words are a true motivator for the team to keep delivering the highest level of service.

It is a true pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed our signature Sofitel My|Bed as well as the experience you had in our restaurant Bridges and the Library d’Or. It is our passion to combine the French cuisine with local ingredients.

I, and the entire team here at The Grand, look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

1,314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

stayed for buisness so was in and out of the hotel all day and in to the night. Great food in the restaurant, everything there when I needed it.

Room was smallish but it was the cheapest room in the hotel so to be expected

Would definatley stay there again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing this lovely experience. It is a delight to read that our hotel was according to your needs but most of all that you had the opportunity to experience our award winning restaurant Bridges.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your next business trip in Amsterdam.

New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

There are loads of fantastic boutique hotels in Amsterdam, on canals, all charming... and I've stayed in several. There are always tradeoffs with them. Size, weird layout of room, front desk in another building, etc. With the Sofitel Grand Amsterdam, it's everything I want... perfect location (walking distance to all historic venues and areas in Amsterdam) and possesses all of the big hotel services and comforts (the beds are amazing). The Sofitel isn't cheap. in fact, it can be outrageously expensive - as it was when I stayed there. And in those cases you may have to think about something else less pricey. But if you can get a good deal, the location and comfort is well worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Denis D, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam and sharing such a wonderful comment on TripAdvisor. Your lovely words about the Sofitel MyBed confirms the aim we have to let our guests experience how it feels to ‘sleep on a cloud’ and it makes me very proud of this Sofitel concept.
It is our passion to give all of our guests a comfortable feeling and to fulfill all their wishes.
We are all looking forward to welcome you back at The Grand next time you are in Amsterdam.
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here for a short weekend in May 2013 and can't wait to go back! The location is perfect and it's very easy to walk to key attractions from this spot. The food was great, and the room was spacious and beautiful. My room was a bit drafty from the large street facing windows, and some of the late night revelers from the red light district did keep me awake, but all in all, it was great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
It is always a pleasure to read such a wonderful experience of Tripadvisor. Thank you for sharing this! It is our true passion to indulge all of our guest and that they can bring home memories.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

This hotel is perfect in every way, the rooms are spacious, the breakfast is good and the location could`t have been any better, 5 minutes walk from all the main attractions. The tram is only footsteps away as well. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your great experience in our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that the hotel and its facilities and services as well as our location were as you expected. It is our aim to meet the expectations of our guest but most of all to exceed these.

I look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

I decided to take my mother away from the everyday problems in life & as I have been a guest at this hotel before I thought that life would be relaxing for a few days. Try talking to the staff this hotel? The moral is low, doesn't matter what class you believe that you are!
The hotel staff seem to hate each other until you catch them giving each other a look of disapproval. Then they will say, " Oh how was your stay sir?" Just because I noticed the atmosphere between them.
Not all the staff are like this, I meet a couple of cleaning people from Africa & they were really nice people. Shows you what the world is coming to.
People who don't have much in life seem to have more manners & class!
How come when I decided to take my mother to the Sofitel Amsterdam.We went really welcome in the Resturant after the waiter looked us up & down to see what we were wearing? Then they decided to say, no sorry we are booked out. There was no one in the hotel.
People need to be careful in the way that they treat other people, because I dressed down in the hope that you would treat me unfairly & it worked & you have fallen for it.
How do you know who I am?
How do you know who my friends are?
How do you know that I am not going to buy this hotel & chane the whole policy because it sucks!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your experiences at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

I would like to express my true disappointment regarding the experience you had in our hotel. This certainly does not reflect the usual high level of service and facilities we offer to our guests. Therefore I would like to invite you to personally discuss these matters further. Please inform us with your personal details via telephone number +31 20 555 3 111 or via email address H2783@sofitel.com in order for me to contact you on a time which is convenient for you.

Denis Dupart

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!