“Honeymoon dream” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, Amsterdam 1012 EX, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #9 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Honeymoon dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

By far the best hotel in Amsterdam what a lovely experience we had on our very short 3 day honeymoon but they made us feel so welcome. The staff is fantastic, the ambience second to none, the beds perfect, the location spot on and the food delicious, what more could I want well time to stay a few extra nights would have made it even better. I can not fault this hotel, we will be back for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

1,191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I travel for a living and understand that the best hotels in the world are the one's where they know your name. In other words, the level of service and hospitality make you feel right at home. The Sofitel Legand The Grand has one of the finest teams I have ever experienced. Arriving from an red eye from Vancouver, I was able to check in early, the concierge ensured I received my bags immediately, they let me know that if I booked museum passes with them, I would bypass long lines, which I did, their suggestion for dinner was excellent and I was treated like a Queen during breakfast, with my waiter running to and from the exceptional buffet bringing me samples of local food he wanted me to try, AND he had the bartender create a morning elixer to help rid jetlag. The head concierge arranged my seats and checked me in to my flight to Kenya and arranged a taxi to the airport. I would return to Amsterdam just to stay in this hotel again. And as a women often traveling solo, i was in the middle of downtown Amsterdam and felt like I had a team not only caring for me but also looking out for me. It was bliss!

Room Tip: Take the historic tour of the hotel - it is beautiful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Besides the wonderful location, which allows you to walk anywhere you need, this hotel oozes grandness and history.
The contrast of the historical building with the modern and edgy decor really surprised me - public areas and the rooms are all designed with really good taste! The Sofitel "MyBed™" feels like you're sleeping on a cloud...
From check-in to guest relations' manager, everyone was extremely courteous and helpful, not to mention well groomed and smartly dressed - in a way that really caught my attention. Breakfast (served on the "Bridges" restaurant with a very funky and cool feel) is very good and offer a nice variety of cold items and a few hot ones, served to order.
Unfortunately I was there for only one night, but looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The location is just right, but the hotel itself could use a bit more attention to service standards, we waited almost an hour for an extra towel to be delivered, then we had to eat a room service meal that was luke warm and tasted like it had been made in a microwave

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Jamestown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

this hotel is perfectly located in the historic district of amsterdam. we easily walked everywhere, filling our six days with views of beautiful architecture, fascinating history and fabulous museums. the dutch people were very friendly, often asking us if they could help us find a destination (everyone speaks english). we used the maps on our ipad to get us around. we could meander, getting "lost", then pinpoint our location and find our way back to the hotel.

our room was freshly decorated, rather "large" for a typically small european room. the room darkening-shades made sleeping a dream. the bed was comfortable with good quality linens and pillows. bathroom amenities were pleasant. the room was quiet (3rd floor). we received three afternoon treats during our stay, and a bottle of evian daily. the gym is small but basic with technogym machines. there is a wave pool and a hot tub. the gym closes at 10pm, which was a bit frustrating. the general staff was friendly and efficient, however, we felt the front desk staff was a bit stuffy. to their credit, they were impeccably dressed and very stylish. the lobby is attractive and is decorated with fresh orchids and other flowers daily. there are pleasant seating areas both inside and out. the hotel is expensive, but we felt it was worth the money.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a canal view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Telluride, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Cannot say enough amazing things about the Sofitel. The staff are exceptionally kind and helpful, rooms are amazingly well-appointed, lobby and common areas decorated in art-deco/modern elegance...

Location amazing, be sure to get the tour of the historic elements of the property. Cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: So we ended up with one the Apartments - by joining their loyalty program we got a pretty amazing de...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

There is no doubt. If you come to the Netherlands then you must stay here. Rooms are excellent. Food exceptional. Staff attention to detail beyond reproach. Stay here. But it don't come cheap. Be prepared to pay, but be equally rewarded and in kind.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!