“Rich in style, comfort and history” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #10 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Dublin
“Rich in style, comfort and history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Arriving late in Amsterdam, I headed for my room in the Sofitel Legend, a haven of luxury and tranquility. It overlooked a canal and, as if on cue, two swans - with eyes only for each other - drifted past my window. I was sad that I didn't have someone with me to share the moment. But I settled for a chilled glass of white wine instead and the alluring music on offer on the sound system.

Next morning, I enjoyed a delicious breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. Great selection of hot and cold dishes, including pancakes made in heaven (and champagne if you had the courage to consume it at such an early hour). If you miss breakfast, there's a congenial library area nearby, where you can order coffee and cakes and check your e-mails. If you're feeling cold, you can take an armchair beside the fire and spend some time catching up on the latest newspapers in Dutch, English and German.

The hotel offers a twenty minute guided tour of its environs. The place is steeped in history, having hosted William of Orange and Maria de Medici as guests (though not together) in earlier eras. For centuries, one of the hotel buildings functioned as the Office of the Admiralty and it was intriguing to see the room in which many of its meetings with the Dutch East India Company were conducted. There's also an ornately constructed marriage chamber - decorated with engaging etchings and engravings - which has served as the location for many civil wedding ceremonies in Amsterdam.

One of the joys of Amsterdam is that you can walk to most locations in the centre of the city. The Rijksmuseum has just re-opened after a decade. Though the Van Gogh museum is currently closed, much of the collection has been temporarily moved to the Hermitage. Of all the historical sites I experienced in my brief sojourn in Amsterdam, however, my trip to the Rembrandt House was by far the most moving. I saw the kitchen in which the great artist had animated battles with his more elderly wife. More importantly, however, I stood reverently in the upstairs room in which he had painted many of his greatest masterpieces centuries earlier.

Finally, I should state that the room rate for my stay in the Sofitel Legend was quite reasonable. I used one of the price comparison websites and ultimately paid Euro 600 for three nights in a canal-side room inclusive of scrumptious breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of one of the canals
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Robert-Jan W, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you kindly for your extensive review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Reading that you have experienced our hotel as a haven of luxury and tranquillity adds a little spark to our day.

I am pleased to read that our historical tour was well perceived by you and I believe that you must have noticed the enthusiasm of our Guest Relations officer who was conducting the tour. Our ambassadors are extremely proud of our history and they love to take our guests on a journey through time.

As an aficionado of (painted) art, without a doubt you must have enjoyed Amsterdam in this period. The reopened Rijksmuseum, the Hermitage with the Van Gogh collection and the Rembrandt House, all are very spectacular. A museum which is also worthy of a visit is The National Maritime Museum.

Our ambassadors hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Antwerp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

A great hotel in beautiful building. Located in the middle of Amsterdam, within walking distance of the central station. Although the hotel is in a very old building, of course all the antique points are kept. The rooms are totally up to date and stylish comfortable, a very good bed. I stead in room 223. Perhaps not the biggest room I have ever stayed in but surely big enough with all facilities at hand. Very handy was the bedside plug in possibility for the laptop. The bathroom was very modern with a big walk in rain shower.
Breakfast was certainly very good. Eggs etc are to be ordered and made fresh. That is really good but because you need to order, make sure you come down in time to be able to enjoy this.
Dinner is really superb. In general staff are enormously helpful and service minded. Some times this is even a little too much. If you have the possibility to stay at this hotel I certainly recommend it. Meeting facilities of this hotel are very modern with high tech equipment

Room Tip: room 223; early morning one good hear talking and walking from passing people on the road. If you ar...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and recommendation for our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

It makes me proud that you describe us as “a great hotel in a beautiful building”. Regarding the bed in your room, our Sofitel MyBed concept is designed to offer exquisite comfort for a perfect night’s sleep. Also the other bed- and bathroom facilities are designed to exceed the expectations of our guests.

It delights me that also your dinner was superb. Our new Executive Chef Joris Bijdendijk has joined the kitchen team in November 2012 and his culinary creations are already drawing more foodies and Amsterdam residents to our restaurant Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw.

At Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, we hope that you have the opportunity to return to Amsterdam and that you will again choose to stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

An amazing stay at this hotel, Udo on concierge booked everything for us and the staff in the restaurant (Bridges) were outstanding as was the fabulous fish, worth a visit for the restaurant alone! Rooms were spacious with excellent bathrooms and the usual excellent beds. Everything is within walking distance from this very central hotel and the private guide and private canal boat tours Udo arranged allowed us to see a lot of Amsterdam very easily. Have also stayed at the Amstel and whilst it is a beautiful hotel with an outstanding restaurant, until it refurbishes it's rooms this is e one I'd go back to without any hesitation.

Room Tip: The canal view rooms have beautiful views!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful words about Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

From your words I have learned that you had a grand dining experience at our restaurant Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw. It delights me that you experienced it this way, because we have just recently changed our concept, also with the arrival of our new Executive Chef Joris Bijdendijk.

It is wonderful to read that you were impressed by our ambassadors, especially Udo. I have already taken the opportunity to share your fantastic review with them.

We are definitely looking forward to your next stay with us.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel during our last visit to Amsterdam. I am usually staying at Sofitels all over the world cause I'm a huge fan of their extremely comfortable beds and their design. The hotel itself is very beautiful and stylish, our room, though, was quite small, but with a nice view to the canal. But, there was a strange smell at the room, I've told the receptionist about it and a man came and discovered quite a lot of weed in the minibar, left by the previous guests, I beleive (so the room was not properly cleaned) than he left us a special 'smell machine', so no problem. But, there was one quite a dissapointing thing: lack of flexibility. On the day of our departure we've asked a receptionist if it's possible to make a late check out (not for free, of course), cause we were having our flight only late in the evening, but we were told that it's possible to stay only until 4 p.m. for the price of 150 euro and if we want to stay till 6 p.m.-we have to pay the full amount. I am the silver member of accor and it was quite surprising for me. There were no such a problems at the other Sofitel hotels. The hotel was not full at all. So, I left a little bit dissappointed this time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest, thank you for choosing us and leaving a review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

It is a delight to read that you consider our hotel to be very beautiful and stylish and that you adored the view of the canal.

I would like to express my true regret regarding the fact that you left our hotel a little bit disappointed. It does not reflect our high level of service that you did not experience our usual flexibility.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove that Sofitel Legend The Grand is the best choice to stay when you are in Amsterdam.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Excellent Hotel, great location and very luxurious environment.

Quite expensive but to me great value, as I am happy to pay top prices for top quality, which this place is.

I would definitely stay here again and actually plan to later this year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Robert-Jan W, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I thank you for telling us about your overall enjoyable experience at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam and for pointing out your satisfaction regarding the location and luxurious environment.

Our ambassadors are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel later this year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I've never been very impressed with hotels in Europe - but this hotel has changed my mind forever. My daughter turned 17 during our stay. I mentioned the occassion casually when making a dinner reservation at a nearby restaurant. We were surprised to have two glasses of champagne delivered to our table before ordering, courtesy of our concierge - then returned to our room only to find an amazing chocolate cake decorated with the words Happy Birthday awaiting the birthday girl. The rooms were elegantly decorated, the restaurant was superb, and everyone was attentive, kind, and determined to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Well done! We will now seek out the Sofitel brand everywhere we travel!!

Such flattering words about Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam!

Our ambassadors know how valuable special occasions can be. I am glad that they have exceeded your expectations and that they managed to create a ‘magnifique story’ out of your daughter’s 17th birthday.

It is a pleasure to read that you found the rooms elegantly decorated and the restaurant superb. Did you know that our Chef de Cuisine of restaurant Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw, Joris Bijdendijk participated in the French edition of Top Chef and grew out to be the favourite of the audience?

We are delighted that you have become loyal to the Sofitel brand and we hope that you have the opportunity to visit Amsterdam again in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Although I e-mailed the hotel a least a week in advance with a question, my question was never answered and that caused some confusion. In an effort to get the type of room I wanted, I upgraded my room myself...but the hotel didn't keep my request for a king-sized bed. The room was not as I hoped, and the bed was two single beds...
Thankfully the staff fixed the situation by putting the beds together. I think it is better to call your hotel rather than make reservations on-line!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Robert-Jan W, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for reviewing our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read that there was a confusion regarding your room and bed preference, and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. I am glad that the situation was solved to your approval by our ambassadors.

I sincerely hope that the rest of your stay was magnificent and that we may have the chance to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam in the future.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!