“Beautiful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, Amsterdam 1012 EX, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
MAGNIFIQUE BREAKFAST
Ranked #12 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Antwerp
“Beautiful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

A great hotel in beautiful building. Located in the middle of Amsterdam, within walking distance of the central station. Although the hotel is in a very old building, of course all the antique points are kept. The rooms are totally up to date and stylish comfortable, a very good bed. I stead in room 223. Perhaps not the biggest room I have ever stayed in but surely big enough with all facilities at hand. Very handy was the bedside plug in possibility for the laptop. The bathroom was very modern with a big walk in rain shower.
Breakfast was certainly very good. Eggs etc are to be ordered and made fresh. That is really good but because you need to order, make sure you come down in time to be able to enjoy this.
Dinner is really superb. In general staff are enormously helpful and service minded. Some times this is even a little too much. If you have the possibility to stay at this hotel I certainly recommend it. Meeting facilities of this hotel are very modern with high tech equipment

Room Tip: room 223; early morning one good hear talking and walking from passing people on the road. If you ar...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Robert-Jan W, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and recommendation for our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

It makes me proud that you describe us as “a great hotel in a beautiful building”. Regarding the bed in your room, our Sofitel MyBed concept is designed to offer exquisite comfort for a perfect night’s sleep. Also the other bed- and bathroom facilities are designed to exceed the expectations of our guests.

It delights me that also your dinner was superb. Our new Executive Chef Joris Bijdendijk has joined the kitchen team in November 2012 and his culinary creations are already drawing more foodies and Amsterdam residents to our restaurant Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw.

At Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, we hope that you have the opportunity to return to Amsterdam and that you will again choose to stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

1,311 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

An amazing stay at this hotel, Udo on concierge booked everything for us and the staff in the restaurant (Bridges) were outstanding as was the fabulous fish, worth a visit for the restaurant alone! Rooms were spacious with excellent bathrooms and the usual excellent beds. Everything is within walking distance from this very central hotel and the private guide and private canal boat tours Udo arranged allowed us to see a lot of Amsterdam very easily. Have also stayed at the Amstel and whilst it is a beautiful hotel with an outstanding restaurant, until it refurbishes it's rooms this is e one I'd go back to without any hesitation.

Room Tip: The canal view rooms have beautiful views!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful words about Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

From your words I have learned that you had a grand dining experience at our restaurant Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw. It delights me that you experienced it this way, because we have just recently changed our concept, also with the arrival of our new Executive Chef Joris Bijdendijk.

It is wonderful to read that you were impressed by our ambassadors, especially Udo. I have already taken the opportunity to share your fantastic review with them.

We are definitely looking forward to your next stay with us.

Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel during our last visit to Amsterdam. I am usually staying at Sofitels all over the world cause I'm a huge fan of their extremely comfortable beds and their design. The hotel itself is very beautiful and stylish, our room, though, was quite small, but with a nice view to the canal. But, there was a strange smell at the room, I've told the receptionist about it and a man came and discovered quite a lot of weed in the minibar, left by the previous guests, I beleive (so the room was not properly cleaned) than he left us a special 'smell machine', so no problem. But, there was one quite a dissapointing thing: lack of flexibility. On the day of our departure we've asked a receptionist if it's possible to make a late check out (not for free, of course), cause we were having our flight only late in the evening, but we were told that it's possible to stay only until 4 p.m. for the price of 150 euro and if we want to stay till 6 p.m.-we have to pay the full amount. I am the silver member of accor and it was quite surprising for me. There were no such a problems at the other Sofitel hotels. The hotel was not full at all. So, I left a little bit dissappointed this time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest, thank you for choosing us and leaving a review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

It is a delight to read that you consider our hotel to be very beautiful and stylish and that you adored the view of the canal.

I would like to express my true regret regarding the fact that you left our hotel a little bit disappointed. It does not reflect our high level of service that you did not experience our usual flexibility.

I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove that Sofitel Legend The Grand is the best choice to stay when you are in Amsterdam.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Excellent Hotel, great location and very luxurious environment.

Quite expensive but to me great value, as I am happy to pay top prices for top quality, which this place is.

I would definitely stay here again and actually plan to later this year.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Robert-Jan W, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
I thank you for telling us about your overall enjoyable experience at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam and for pointing out your satisfaction regarding the location and luxurious environment.

Our ambassadors are looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel later this year.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I've never been very impressed with hotels in Europe - but this hotel has changed my mind forever. My daughter turned 17 during our stay. I mentioned the occassion casually when making a dinner reservation at a nearby restaurant. We were surprised to have two glasses of champagne delivered to our table before ordering, courtesy of our concierge - then returned to our room only to find an amazing chocolate cake decorated with the words Happy Birthday awaiting the birthday girl. The rooms were elegantly decorated, the restaurant was superb, and everyone was attentive, kind, and determined to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Well done! We will now seek out the Sofitel brand everywhere we travel!!

Such flattering words about Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam!

Our ambassadors know how valuable special occasions can be. I am glad that they have exceeded your expectations and that they managed to create a ‘magnifique story’ out of your daughter’s 17th birthday.

It is a pleasure to read that you found the rooms elegantly decorated and the restaurant superb. Did you know that our Chef de Cuisine of restaurant Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw, Joris Bijdendijk participated in the French edition of Top Chef and grew out to be the favourite of the audience?

We are delighted that you have become loyal to the Sofitel brand and we hope that you have the opportunity to visit Amsterdam again in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Although I e-mailed the hotel a least a week in advance with a question, my question was never answered and that caused some confusion. In an effort to get the type of room I wanted, I upgraded my room myself...but the hotel didn't keep my request for a king-sized bed. The room was not as I hoped, and the bed was two single beds...
Thankfully the staff fixed the situation by putting the beds together. I think it is better to call your hotel rather than make reservations on-line!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Robert-Jan W, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear guest, thank you for reviewing our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry to read that there was a confusion regarding your room and bed preference, and I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused. I am glad that the situation was solved to your approval by our ambassadors.

I sincerely hope that the rest of your stay was magnificent and that we may have the chance to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam in the future.

Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

The Grand is a very charming luxury hotel in the center of Amsterdam. When staying there you are in the middle of everything and still quiet environment. Service is in top. We stayed in a suite connecting to a double room (room 223/224). Bathrooms are spacíus and beds are indeed comfortable. The room has great view to the canal. We got breakfast served in the room and it was really delicate.

Next time I go to Amsterdam I will stay at the Grand again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with view to the canal.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for leaving a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

It is a delight to read that your suite and connecting room were to your approval and that you found the breakfast, which was served in your room, really delicate.

Our location is indeed great. As you mention, it is in the middle of everything with an amazing view. On your next visit, I advise you to enjoy our Courtyard Garden. It is an oasis of peace and tranquillity, away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

Our ambassadors of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam are looking forward to your next visit.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!