We just returned from an excellent four-night stay at the Sofitel Legend The Grand. As others have noted in their reviews, the location is excellent for experiencing Amsterdam. Given the poor weather during our stay, we were grateful to have so much within short walking distance of the hotel.
We were booked into a prestige suite, which was very large by European standards. The suite had two defined spaces -- a large living area and a separate bedroom. The living area consisted of a dining table, desk and television. The bedroom had a large king-size bed, a small couch, a television and ample wardrobe space for two people. Conveniently, there was a very large master bathroom, as well as a second, small half-bathroom. The two bathrooms made us much more efficient in the mornings. In general, the room was well-appointed and comfortable. The decor is very modern, which likely won't appeal to all visitors, but this seems to be the trend in renovated European hotels.
However, what really makes this hotel shine is its team of staff. Without exception, we found the staff at the hotel to be courteous, professional and committed to creating a positive guest experience. Notable standouts were the two butlers assigned to our room, Domingo and Bart; Wilhelmina in Bridges; and Eelke, the doorman. Truly an exceptional group, and we hope to see them again when we return.
Lastly, we booked a full-day private tour through the concierge, and we were glad we did. The concierge helped us develop the itinerary, and the tour itself was excellent. Although expensive, we were glad we made these arrangements through the hotel to get the benefit of their insight. One thing to note -- if you do make tour arrangements through the hotel, you have to pay for the tour in cash once its completed. It does not get charged to the hotel and added to your bill, like most hotels. We didn't realize this until our tour was nearly over, and given the price, we were a little surprised that they didn't accept credit cards. Fortunately, there are numerous ATM machines located within a block of the hotel.
In summary, this is our new favorite hotel in Amsterdam -- and perhaps the rest of the EU. We look forward to returning soon, and I have no hesitation in recommending other TripAdvisor members to stay here, too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, ACCOR, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel