“Poor customer service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #9 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Geneva, Switzerland
“Poor customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

The Grand Sofitel is in a great location and the hotel rooms have been nicely renovated. However, that is to be expected from a top hotel in a capital city. The customer service on the other hand is poor. After speaking with the Front Desk I decided to select the premium internet service for EUR 17.50 per day as it was described as very fast. The internet turned out to be very slow and when I highlighted this I had to speak to the Front desk several times and had an engineer visit my room to tell me that someone could help me tomorrow. No one apologized or offered refund the charge and when I asked the person at the Front desk had to ask someone to get it approved. In my opinion, high speed internet should be available free of charge at a hotel like the Grand Sofitel.

Here is the speedtest result of the "premium" internet:

Needless to say don't pay for the internet at the Grand!

Also note that the Gym is tiny with 1 treadmill, 2 bikes and 1 stair master.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Robert-Jan W, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear guest, I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences with our hotel on TripAdvisor.

With this reply I would like to take the opportunity to express my sincere apologies regarding your experiences with our Internet service. This does not reflect our normal high standard of services. I have taken your remark very seriously and shared it with our management team to take it into consideration for future developments.

I hope that you will consider staying at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam during a future visit to Amsterdam.

Yours sincerely,

Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at Sofitel Legend The Grand for three nights in November. The stay was fabulous and we couldn't have stayed anywhere better for our long weekend away. We stayed in a junior suite which overlooked the canal. The room was spacious and stylish, with a walk through shower and bath, along with Hermes toiletries. Beds were so comfortable, it was hard getting out of them in the morning!

The service in the hotel was spectacular, nothing was ever too much and we felt very well looked after. One night i requested a iPhone connector, so that we could listen to music in our room and someone bought it up to our room within 10 minutes. Staff were polite, smiley and efficient.

Breakfast was included within our room costs and there was plenty of choice and the hot breakfasts were delicious. Our waitress also made us detox cocktails, which were a nice touch.

Another advantage of The Grand is the location. It couldn't be better located, right in the centre of Amsterdam, yet tucked away on a side street overlooking a canal. Practically everything is within walking distance. Fantastic hotel, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone, hope to stay there again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms with canal views are lovely.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Those are magnificent pictures that you uploaded to support your review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

Indeed, our hotel is centrally located and close to all major attractions. If you would like to go shopping or visit museums, even the main exhibition and congress centres are easy to reach within 10 minutes.

It is good to read that “ staff were polite, smiley and efficient”, they take great pleasure in their jobs and I am glad that our guests notice this.

I am delighted to read that you like our Hermès toiletries; we have carefully selected the most luxurious and highest quality of amenities to pamper our guests.

Our ambassadors are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Northamptonshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have just returned having stayed 3 nights at the Sofitel Grand to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. Our Junior Suite was luxurious with a fabulous large bathtub with complimentary Hermes products. The bed was extremely comfortable and our room spotlessly clean.

We dined at Bridges Restaurant on our first night and had a wonderful evening, the baked salted Sea Bass for 2 was devine as was the Chocolate Fondent pudding. Breakfast the following morning also in Bridges was superb with an amorous selection available to cater for all needs which we especially looked forward too every morning.

What sets the Sofitel Grand aside from other five star hotels, is all of the staff and their attention to detail, always polite and genuinely happy to assist in any way they can. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at Sofitel Grand and would definitely recommend this hotel, you will not be disappointed!

Thank you to all staff and management for a memorable stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam for your wedding anniversary.

The sea bass in salted crust is one of the classics that we serve at our restaurant Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw, and a dish that we are very proud of. It satisfies me that you enjoyed our extensive breakfast selection.

I will share your grand words about our Ambassadors with them. They take great pride in assisting our guests in any way they can.

Thank you again for staying with and we hope to have you as one of our valued guests again in the future.

Best regards,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at a number of hotels over many years and while I am sure there are better hotels somewhere, I have never stayed at or met anyone who has.
The Sofitel Grand is the best I have ever had the pleasure of staying at.
From the fuss free check in, to the welcome glass of champagne beside the fire (it was about -10on the day we arrived) and the fantastic room, our rom had views over the courtyard and the snow covered roofs of the western side of Amsterdam.
The hotel is located an easy walk from the "Dam Square" from which everything is a further easy walk even in the snow.
I simply can say enough about the commitment of then hotel staff, they where universally helpful, happy to answer even the most inane questions with a smile and some good local advice.
The hotel restaurant Bridges is fantastic (a bit pricey) however the meal was worth it and again the service was superb to the point of being over the top.
Our stay at the Sofitel Grand gave a taste of what it must be like to be "treated like royalty)

When in Amsterdam I will now stay here, any where else would be second best

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Those are truly grand words about Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam and I am grateful that you have taken the time to leave them on TripAdvisor.

The snow that covered Amsterdam and our hotel during your stay caused a magical atmosphere and I hope that you enjoyed it.

It satisfies me that you liked the location of the hotel and the commitment of our Ambassadors. Our Executive Chef Joris Bijdendijk had recently started with us during the time of your visit. The entire team of Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw, are delighted by your words.

We hope to welcome you back to Amsterdam and our hotel in the near future.

Battle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed here for birthday treat , excellent location. Luxurious room overlooking the canal. Eat in the restaurant for breakfast & dinner both were faultless. Dinner was superb would definitely stay again, staff all extremely helpful and charming. Sadly had a minor accident tripped on some cobblestones but the hotel on my return gave excellent first aid and laid on transport to hospital where once treated returned to our comfortable room and visited by the hotel manager to check all was well and if I needed anything, outstanding customer service .
Restaurant is a little pricey but the food is first class and as good as 2 Michelin starred restaurants in London.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, I am truly grateful for your grand words about our hotel here on TripAdvisor.

It pleases me to read that our Ambassadors took great care of you and I hope that you have fully recovered.

That you compare our fish restaurant Bridges, inspired by Ron Blaauw, to 2 Michelin starred restaurants in London is a flattering compliment and will inspire our new Executive Chef Joris Bijdendijk to continue his great work.

We hope to have a chance to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Sofitel Amsterdam is a great hotel where every detail is looked after. Extremely comfortable bed, Hermes amenities, champagne, personalized treatment, quality breakfast and central location. Recommended.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Robert-Jan W, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for leaving a review and recommending Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

It makes me proud that you enjoyed the Sofitel MyBed, Hermès amenities, champagne, personalized treatment, the breakfast and the central location.

All our Ambassadors hope to have the chance to welcome you back to or hotel in the future.

Kilcullen, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed in the Sofitel Legend The Grand for four nights recently with my partner, including Valentine's Day.
Location:
The Sofitel Grand is ideally located within walking distance of all major landmarks in Amsterdam. It is on a relatively quiet street, close to Dam Square and a short 10 minute walk from Centraal Station.

Staff:
One of the outstanding features of the hotel is the attentiveness and friendliness of the staff. We were given a very personal and genuine welcome upon arrival. I had contacted the hotel prior to our stay and they were very accommodating in responding to my requests. The concierge was fantastic. They had a great knowledge of the best restaurants to eat in. The only night we ignored the concierge's advice, we regretted it! They also helped us to acquire tickets for the Anne Frank Huis and plan some of our days activities.

Room:
Our room was located on the 4th floor. It was spacious, particulalry by European standards, and beautifully decorated. There was also a great view over the canal outside the hotel. The bathroom was likewise with a large shower and ornate bathtub. The bed was a dream to sleep in! The pillows were also incredibly comfortable. As we were celebrating a special occasion, the hotel had kindly placed a bottle of champagne in the room. They also left little treats each day which we looked forward to returning to each night! The room was also spotlessly cleaned each day!

Breakfast:
Breakfast was included in our room rate and was absolutely fantastic. There was a wide variety of fresh fruit, pastries, hams, cheeses and smoothies. There was also the option of a hot breakfast which was made to order. On the first morning, you are given a guided tour of the buffet area which was also a nice touch. Although breakfast was delicious, it was very expensive (37euro p/per approx.) and had it not been included in our rate, we probably would not have availed of it.

Overall, this was a very memorable stay and the status of 'Legend' is certainly warranted. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on high floors are particularly nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving this extensive and descriptive review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor and for choosing to stay with us.

It makes me proud to read that our Ambassadors treated you with their usual attention and friendliness. Our Clefs d’Or concierges take great pride in providing our guests with personalized advice.

It delights me that you liked the room decoration, the Sofitel MyBed and the amenities that we placed in your room for the special occasion.

At breakfast, have you also tried one of our detox cocktails?

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

Best regards,

Robert-Jan Woltering

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!