I consider myself fairly traveled...having traveled extensively for over 30 years in business, and now that I have retired, to some even more exotic places. But the Amsterdam Sofitel is certainly the best hotel I've ever stayed in (which includes others like the Waldorf, Helmsley , St. Regis and the Mandarin). Never have I been so impressed with the service, the attention to detail and the comfort. We arrived from the US around 9 am and, of course, rooms are not ready until later in the day. We were both zombie-like due to lack of sleep. The front desk offered us the couches in the library,with its fireplace,red colors, fresh flowers and cozy atmosphere. We checked into our room --126--(more about that location later) and I was truly amazed at the attention to detail . The room was beautiful with black and eggplant accents, and a blackout curtain of deep eggplant. The toiletries were Hermes. And towel warmers in the bathroom! Nespresso coffee maker. Rainfall shower. Plush bathrobes and slippers. Refrigerator and safe. wifi in rooms. Chocolates at night. Great beds and pillows. The only downside was that our room, on the first floor, faced the back of the hotel and the street became noisy in early morning when commuters started heading out.
The staff was unbelievable. Each and every one was professional, efficient and pleasant. We took the hotel tour one morning and I had my coffee cup with me..I finished the coffee..and one of the managers took the empty cup from me. Another night when I requested some milk for my morning coffee, they delivered the pitcher to my door within a minute. Among the best was Jasper, the chief sommelier...he was always there to answer questions and provide service..he was quite impressive.
When you order hot chocolate in the library the waitress serves it with a silver glitter glove. It's in honor of Michael Jackson.who was in Amsterdam on tour in the 70's staying at the hotel..all of the paparazzi were outside freezing..so he requested that the hotel send them out hot chocolate with milk (not water based).
It's an absolutely beautifully restored hotel..it started out as a convent in the 1400's ,has served as the home of the King of Holland, and has been a hotel since the mid 90's. excellent restaurant also.
Can't wait to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Venere, Splendia, Agoda, getaroom.com, Otel, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel