“My very favorite hotel..ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #10 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
NYC
“My very favorite hotel..ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I consider myself fairly traveled...having traveled extensively for over 30 years in business, and now that I have retired, to some even more exotic places. But the Amsterdam Sofitel is certainly the best hotel I've ever stayed in (which includes others like the Waldorf, Helmsley , St. Regis and the Mandarin). Never have I been so impressed with the service, the attention to detail and the comfort. We arrived from the US around 9 am and, of course, rooms are not ready until later in the day. We were both zombie-like due to lack of sleep. The front desk offered us the couches in the library,with its fireplace,red colors, fresh flowers and cozy atmosphere. We checked into our room --126--(more about that location later) and I was truly amazed at the attention to detail . The room was beautiful with black and eggplant accents, and a blackout curtain of deep eggplant. The toiletries were Hermes. And towel warmers in the bathroom! Nespresso coffee maker. Rainfall shower. Plush bathrobes and slippers. Refrigerator and safe. wifi in rooms. Chocolates at night. Great beds and pillows. The only downside was that our room, on the first floor, faced the back of the hotel and the street became noisy in early morning when commuters started heading out.

The staff was unbelievable. Each and every one was professional, efficient and pleasant. We took the hotel tour one morning and I had my coffee cup with me..I finished the coffee..and one of the managers took the empty cup from me. Another night when I requested some milk for my morning coffee, they delivered the pitcher to my door within a minute. Among the best was Jasper, the chief sommelier...he was always there to answer questions and provide service..he was quite impressive.

When you order hot chocolate in the library the waitress serves it with a silver glitter glove. It's in honor of Michael Jackson.who was in Amsterdam on tour in the 70's staying at the hotel..all of the paparazzi were outside freezing..so he requested that the hotel send them out hot chocolate with milk (not water based).

It's an absolutely beautifully restored hotel..it started out as a convent in the 1400's ,has served as the home of the King of Holland, and has been a hotel since the mid 90's. excellent restaurant also.

Can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
It made me feel proud to read that you have experienced Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam as “the best hotel you have ever stayed in.” It is the best compliment we could possibly get from a frequent traveler such as you and I thank you for sharing this on TripAdvisor.

Your feedback is an enormous encouragement to the whole team to keep on impressing our guest with professional, efficient and pleasant service. A special thanks for your wonderful words about our sommelier Jasper, he is indeed very knowledgeable and passionate about his profession and always providing outstanding service.

Please come back to Amsterdam. We cannot wait to welcome you back to your very favorite hotel!

Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Three day trip with wife to see the highs and lows (!) of Smsterdam. This hotel is perfectly situated and within walking distance of Dam Square and Light Square is one stop on the tram.
The rooms were fabulous, very comfortable lots of space and worth paying a bit of a premium to experience.
Good leisure facilities if that's what you need as well.
We only had breakfast in our package which was very good, but typically European so don't go expecting a fry-up !
Overall the place cannot be faulted at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I am very happy to learn that you and your wife enjoyed your stay. I agree that visitors to The Grand are indeed very lucky to enjoy being in such a fantastic location, close to all the wonders that Amsterdam has to offer. Thank you for your comment regarding breakfast choices, which we are currently reviewing. Finally, I would like to thank you for the beautiful compliment that The Grand cannot be faulted at all.

NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Spent three nights at the Grand and loved it. Although the check-in was problematic - they did not have our first night's reservation, it worked out fine. Fortunately, we had our paperwork and after a short time the front desk upgraded our room and sent us off to a beautiful one bedroom suite, with a butler, overlooking the canal. The room was fantastic from the great bedding, comfort, design, bathroom amenities, and storage space. Although the butler never showed up during the entire stay, the rest of the hotel service was incredible. The restaurant was top notch for breakfast. Loved the dutch pancakes!!! Pre-reserved dinner (a month and a half in advance) at the restaurant and enjoyed a delicious four course tasting menu. Service was a bit too slow and snobby, but attentive. We could not sit any longer to eat the dessert, so the waiter had it sent and displayed beautifully in our room.

The art work throughout the hotel is incredible. Everyone was warm and friendly. Would stay here again in a minute. As everyone else has mentioned, the building was originally the city hall. It has been renovated amazingly. Location was great, easy to walk everywhere. Great luxury hotel choice in Amsterdam!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your stay and at the same time making some very important observations. The first point you raised, regarding your check in and the butler service is a matter I will discuss internally in order to prevent future misunderstandings. I am however delighted to hear you enjoyed the Suite, the Sofitel MyBed, the ‘Top notch’ breakfast and the design which is the responsibility of our well-known French interior designer Sybille de Margerie. Secondly, I have taken on board your remarks regarding your dinner and this is under review.

Thank you again for your kind comments. I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We recently stayed for two nights in the Sofitel Lgend, Grand Amsterdam(October 20-22, 2012.) we arrived at the train station and walked with our luggage and a definite amount of apprehension through the darkened streets at 7:00 am, exhausted from the flight and time change. We knew immediately we made the right choice when the front desk attendant greeted us warmly telling us that our Amex upgrade was processed and our room was available immediately. I have never been let into a room so early and the room was actually a suite and had the complete WOW factor. My wife, 22yo daughter and I ventured out to what proved to be our favorite city on our Europe trip of two weeks. I have nothing but positives to report of the location, architecture, bedding, amenities, staff, concierge, etc. I would hands down stay at this location again if the budget allowed. I consider myself very fortunate to have picked this property and I commend the entire staff. jb, boston

Room Tip: use amex platinum for the upgrade if you are able.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I am very pleased that you chose to stay at The Grand with your wife and daughter and that you were welcomed warmly. As we host many international guests we always try to respond to early arrivals from abroad. Therefore I am happy to learn we were able to accommodate you directly. Besides that I am honored that you picked Amsterdam to be your favorite city in Europe. Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

When I am in for a short mini break in my own town, I go to the Grand, sit in the bar/lounge and have a great glass of (house) wine or one of their teas.
The building as such, the whole atmosphere in any single part of the hotel, especially in the Bar/lounege make every single visit a mini break.
It is an enchanting environment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Excellent news! Thank you for referring to the hotel as an enchanting environment. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Grand in the future, so we can create another mini break. Thank you.

Glenview, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The building represents the best of the Dutch architectureof the 15th Century. It started as a convent; then the Housing for the Elderly; changed to the City Hall and for the last decade or so after being vacant for a while was converted to the luxury hotel by Sofitel, which is a part of French Accor chain.

It is within a walking distance from Dam Square, near trams and buses. It is located in the heart of "old centre", south of Red Light district and not affected by it. Remember, the oldest City church is in the center of Red Light district. Hotel is located between 2 canals, south of Damstraat Bridge, with controlled entrance through a large interior court, therefore being secluded and peaceful.

The public ares are done in soft colors, club like setting with number of the seating areas, as well as, the exterior court and garden. They feel more like elegant residence than a hotel. The small reception desk is fully staffed with well trained and helpful staff. They will personally escort you to your room after checking in, which was fast and flawless.

The various sculptures, painting and object d'art are placed through out public ares. Large stained windows are given to, at the time of City Hall, by the City of Roterdam in celebration of jubilee. Large mural, by a well known Dutch artist, is located in the original dinning hall. Tours can be arranged to visit all the areas and art of the hotel.

The rooms view canal was large, well appointed with writing table, seatee, small table and chair. The bed was excellent, best quality linens, choice of many pillows, and comfortable mattress. The bed and bedding [new] are available for purchase. Around 3000 EUR and worth the money. A large modern bathroom with walk-in rain shower, two sinks, lights, mirrors, appliances, robes, slippers and Hermes toiletries are provided. Fully stocked mini-bar, expresso machine, mineral water and chocolates are provided daily. The only comment is that day time room maid service was spotty, from excellent to marginal....unusual for this type of hotel.

The general staff in hotel was excellently groomed and helpful, giving you the feeling that they are there "just for you". When returning back to the hotel in the afternoon the person at the door greeted us with "Welcome back, did you have a good day? Is there anything you need?"

After many hotels, in many countries...this was the first one! What a pleasant surprise!

And after all of this, what made our stay in Amsterdam, the most pleasant, enjoyable and rewarding time was Mr. Duncan Groot, Concierge Cles d'Or. Mr. Duncan, the Master Concierge and rightly so, made everything perfectly fall together. After finding out our preferences, requirements and desires he deftly and honestly led us through everything we wanted to do and see in the city. For example, when late cancellation was made at the excellent restaurant in Hotel Heineken, he found us and recommended that we go there. Not only that the meal was excellent, but he had his colleague in the hotel greet and lead us to the restaurant. He kept us away from the tourist traps and other pitfalls. Merci Monsieur Duncan !!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
What a wonderful story about your experience in The Grand. The passion for our rich history, the recognition of my team and especially the Concierge Clés d’Or Mr. Groot and the enthusiasm about our room décor makes me feel very proud.

We always do our utmost to meet our guests expectations and even more to provide our guests a legendary stay.

All Sofitel Ambassadors are looking forward to welcoming you to The Grand whenever the road leads you back to us in the near future. Must you need any help on the way, please contact us directly and we will be pleased to assist you.

Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night there in the most beautiful suite they had. WOW! It was outstanding. Beautiful decoration, warm and nice ambiance, super comfortable bed, really clean bathroom, a bath in the middle of the bathroom with a steam shower.. Wow it was really nice..
Service was amazing, people want to please and are extremely polite which make the stay much better.
The hotel is in the middle of everything, and walking distance of the red light district.
In the hotel, they have the best fish restaurant in Amsterdam but you have to make a reservation because it get booked really quick.
Breakfast is a small buffet where they have all kind of breads, jams, cereals, juices and fresh smooties, fruits and some type of meat and cheese.. It was a good buffet but we both thought it was going to be better (more choices, more types of fruits and not served in verrine, etc.) But the quality of the food seemed great. They also have soy milk which is great for all those people who cant drink milk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such marvelous feedback. All the team and I have read it with great enthusiasm! We also truly appreciate your wonderful words about Bridges Restaurant with our newly appointed Executive Chef Joris Bijdendijk, which is indeed very popular with both hotel guests and local people.

I hope we will see you again in The Grand!

Robert-Jan Woltering

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!