“The Grand: History, Architecture & Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #11 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Glenview, Illinois
“The Grand: History, Architecture & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The building represents the best of the Dutch architectureof the 15th Century. It started as a convent; then the Housing for the Elderly; changed to the City Hall and for the last decade or so after being vacant for a while was converted to the luxury hotel by Sofitel, which is a part of French Accor chain.

It is within a walking distance from Dam Square, near trams and buses. It is located in the heart of "old centre", south of Red Light district and not affected by it. Remember, the oldest City church is in the center of Red Light district. Hotel is located between 2 canals, south of Damstraat Bridge, with controlled entrance through a large interior court, therefore being secluded and peaceful.

The public ares are done in soft colors, club like setting with number of the seating areas, as well as, the exterior court and garden. They feel more like elegant residence than a hotel. The small reception desk is fully staffed with well trained and helpful staff. They will personally escort you to your room after checking in, which was fast and flawless.

The various sculptures, painting and object d'art are placed through out public ares. Large stained windows are given to, at the time of City Hall, by the City of Roterdam in celebration of jubilee. Large mural, by a well known Dutch artist, is located in the original dinning hall. Tours can be arranged to visit all the areas and art of the hotel.

The rooms view canal was large, well appointed with writing table, seatee, small table and chair. The bed was excellent, best quality linens, choice of many pillows, and comfortable mattress. The bed and bedding [new] are available for purchase. Around 3000 EUR and worth the money. A large modern bathroom with walk-in rain shower, two sinks, lights, mirrors, appliances, robes, slippers and Hermes toiletries are provided. Fully stocked mini-bar, expresso machine, mineral water and chocolates are provided daily. The only comment is that day time room maid service was spotty, from excellent to marginal....unusual for this type of hotel.

The general staff in hotel was excellently groomed and helpful, giving you the feeling that they are there "just for you". When returning back to the hotel in the afternoon the person at the door greeted us with "Welcome back, did you have a good day? Is there anything you need?"

After many hotels, in many countries...this was the first one! What a pleasant surprise!

And after all of this, what made our stay in Amsterdam, the most pleasant, enjoyable and rewarding time was Mr. Duncan Groot, Concierge Cles d'Or. Mr. Duncan, the Master Concierge and rightly so, made everything perfectly fall together. After finding out our preferences, requirements and desires he deftly and honestly led us through everything we wanted to do and see in the city. For example, when late cancellation was made at the excellent restaurant in Hotel Heineken, he found us and recommended that we go there. Not only that the meal was excellent, but he had his colleague in the hotel greet and lead us to the restaurant. He kept us away from the tourist traps and other pitfalls. Merci Monsieur Duncan !!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
What a wonderful story about your experience in The Grand. The passion for our rich history, the recognition of my team and especially the Concierge Clés d’Or Mr. Groot and the enthusiasm about our room décor makes me feel very proud.

We always do our utmost to meet our guests expectations and even more to provide our guests a legendary stay.

All Sofitel Ambassadors are looking forward to welcoming you to The Grand whenever the road leads you back to us in the near future. Must you need any help on the way, please contact us directly and we will be pleased to assist you.

1,350 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed one night there in the most beautiful suite they had. WOW! It was outstanding. Beautiful decoration, warm and nice ambiance, super comfortable bed, really clean bathroom, a bath in the middle of the bathroom with a steam shower.. Wow it was really nice..
Service was amazing, people want to please and are extremely polite which make the stay much better.
The hotel is in the middle of everything, and walking distance of the red light district.
In the hotel, they have the best fish restaurant in Amsterdam but you have to make a reservation because it get booked really quick.
Breakfast is a small buffet where they have all kind of breads, jams, cereals, juices and fresh smooties, fruits and some type of meat and cheese.. It was a good buffet but we both thought it was going to be better (more choices, more types of fruits and not served in verrine, etc.) But the quality of the food seemed great. They also have soy milk which is great for all those people who cant drink milk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for such marvelous feedback. All the team and I have read it with great enthusiasm! We also truly appreciate your wonderful words about Bridges Restaurant with our newly appointed Executive Chef Joris Bijdendijk, which is indeed very popular with both hotel guests and local people.

I hope we will see you again in The Grand!

Muscat, Oman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I travel to Amsterdam on business several times a year. My only home away from home is the Grand.The combination of the great location, on two canals and a proximity to Daum square and a walking distance from the train station, its beautiful renovation, the fabulous Bridges restaurant and finally the fabulous staff that were professional and eager to please makes Sofitel Grand my choice for pleasure or business. Cant wait till I get back.

Room Tip: The suites come with massive rain showers and steam. Fabulous.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
I would like to thank you for expressing your loyalty in the lovely words you wrote about Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am delighted to read that the hotel feels like a second home for you. It is always our aim to provide the highest level of personalized service.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back at The Grand in the near future.

manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

After staying at the hotel d el Europe I thought I'd found the best hotel Amsterdam center had to offer. That was untill I stayed at the Sofitel the grand. This place as everything from the perfect location to the breakfast. Not to mention the friendly staff and second to none service. I will defenatly be returning.

• Stayed November 2012
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
I would like to thank you for your gracious words about your experience at The Grand, especially the beautiful words about my team. It makes me very proud and gives a feeling of recognition and appreciation.

It is always our aim to provide the highest level of personalized service in order to create a home away from home and create a comfortable atmosphere for our guests.

We all hope to welcome you back at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam soon.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I rate this hotel as the best I've stayed in. It occupies a beautiful, historic building sandwiched between two canals in the heart of old 'Dam. It's at the bottom of the Red Light district, but don't let that put you off - this is the heart of the old centre, and the hotel's locality south of the Damstraat bridge which traverses O.Voorburgwal is actually quite peaceful at night.
Our room was large and well - appointed with a canal view. The bed, oh the bed. The most comfortable bed I've had the pleasure to sleep in. Hermes toiletries. Spotlessly clean.
Service and food are outstanding and what you expect of a hotel of this calibre. Concierge was excellent.
In summary, I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. A hotel which richly deserves it's 5-star rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
The whole team and I thank you for taking the time to mention your perfect experience at Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam. We are very proud to readthat you rate this hotel as the best you have ever stayed in. It is the best compliment we can possibly get!

I can tell that Sofitel Luxury Hotels has achieved its goal in taking you to sleep like onto fluffy clouds in the most comfortable bed you have ever slept in. Did you know that you can buy it online. Don't hesitate, indulge yourself also at home.

We hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in our beautiful historical building in the heart of Amsterdam.

Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed a week and everything was perfection! The large, historic hotel is just beautiful with a hip, boutique feeling. We fell in love with the impeccable service, friendly staff, lovely rooms, heavenly beds and gorgeous grounds. As an added bonus, reception brought up a surprise birthday cake for my husband's birthday the first day we arrived - we were very impressed by this gesture and it was chocolate mousse deliciousness!

In addition, the Sospa deep tissue massage was the perfect cure for jet lag - it was actually one of the best massages I have ever experienced. Our only unfavorable experience was at the hotel's pool area after our couples massage. The hotel's pool, steam room and sauna are all located in the Sospa and they allow children to play there until 5 or 6 pm. When we arrived, there were five children screaming and jumping around the pool which momentarily put a damper on our relaxing, massage experience. Still, I would return to the spa and simply avoid the pool area.

Overall, we will definitely stay at this hotel again and look forward to returning soon! I cannot imagine staying anywhere else in Amsterdam. Thank you, Sofitel Grand for making our getaway so wonderful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I thank you very much for your generous feedback regarding our high standard of services.

We try our utmost to please and surprise our guests at any possible occasion. We were then very happy to enhance your experience with the birthday cake provided to you.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate issue with the noise in the pool area. I have passed your feedback on to avoid any future occurrence. At the same time I am happy to read that you have very much enjoyed the deep tissue massage and we are proud you stated that is was one of the best you have ever experienced. Thank you for that.

It is excited to read that you want to return to Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam in the near future and the entire team is looking forward to impress you with our impeccable service again.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

pure elegance, pure sophistication! My husband and I spent 4 nights at this wonderful hotel at the beginning of November. We were there to celebrate his 40th birthday and this amazingly generous hotel gave us a complimentary double upgrade from a Luxury Room to a Prestige Suite! We were then, and still are now, blown away by this gesture, it just made our stay all the more special. But, be assured, we would still be writing this review even without this upgrade, because this hotel deserves every piece of praise it receives. It's decor, it's location, it's breakfast, it's service and most of all it's staff are second to none. This, especially, was illustrated to us when we did have one issue during our stay - when we returned to our room on the day of my husband's birthday at 4.15 in the afternoon we found it still hadn't been cleaned. We weren't overly pleased, but within 5 minutes of my call to reception a lady from housekeeping arrived. We left the room at that point and went to the front desk to voice our disappointment. The staff there could not have been more apologetic, we were led to the lounge and presented with a complimentary drink while we waited, and then a lady from Guest Relations came to see us and, as a token of their apology, they immediately said we could have a late check-out on the day we were to leave. From our point of view that is a measure of a truly great hotel - not that things don't go wrong, but the way they handle it when they do, and this gets top marks for that.

Lastly, just a big shout out to Dennis, the barman in the Flying Dutchman - a great guy who we had a lovely chat with. Go see him in his bar, it's tucked away in a corner round from the reception but worth a visit just for him alone!

We basically cannot recommend this hotel enough - we didn't want to leave and we definitely want to return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I just love reading such wonderful stories! We cannot be anymore enchanted by the grand words you wrote about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. It made me feel very proud on all the Ambassadors.

It has always been our passion to pamper all of our guests, and even more when they are staying with us for such a special occasion. We just cannot thank you enough for sharing such magnificent experience on TripAdvisor.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!