The building represents the best of the Dutch architectureof the 15th Century. It started as a convent; then the Housing for the Elderly; changed to the City Hall and for the last decade or so after being vacant for a while was converted to the luxury hotel by Sofitel, which is a part of French Accor chain.
It is within a walking distance from Dam Square, near trams and buses. It is located in the heart of "old centre", south of Red Light district and not affected by it. Remember, the oldest City church is in the center of Red Light district. Hotel is located between 2 canals, south of Damstraat Bridge, with controlled entrance through a large interior court, therefore being secluded and peaceful.
The public ares are done in soft colors, club like setting with number of the seating areas, as well as, the exterior court and garden. They feel more like elegant residence than a hotel. The small reception desk is fully staffed with well trained and helpful staff. They will personally escort you to your room after checking in, which was fast and flawless.
The various sculptures, painting and object d'art are placed through out public ares. Large stained windows are given to, at the time of City Hall, by the City of Roterdam in celebration of jubilee. Large mural, by a well known Dutch artist, is located in the original dinning hall. Tours can be arranged to visit all the areas and art of the hotel.
The rooms view canal was large, well appointed with writing table, seatee, small table and chair. The bed was excellent, best quality linens, choice of many pillows, and comfortable mattress. The bed and bedding [new] are available for purchase. Around 3000 EUR and worth the money. A large modern bathroom with walk-in rain shower, two sinks, lights, mirrors, appliances, robes, slippers and Hermes toiletries are provided. Fully stocked mini-bar, expresso machine, mineral water and chocolates are provided daily. The only comment is that day time room maid service was spotty, from excellent to marginal....unusual for this type of hotel.
The general staff in hotel was excellently groomed and helpful, giving you the feeling that they are there "just for you". When returning back to the hotel in the afternoon the person at the door greeted us with "Welcome back, did you have a good day? Is there anything you need?"
After many hotels, in many countries...this was the first one! What a pleasant surprise!
And after all of this, what made our stay in Amsterdam, the most pleasant, enjoyable and rewarding time was Mr. Duncan Groot, Concierge Cles d'Or. Mr. Duncan, the Master Concierge and rightly so, made everything perfectly fall together. After finding out our preferences, requirements and desires he deftly and honestly led us through everything we wanted to do and see in the city. For example, when late cancellation was made at the excellent restaurant in Hotel Heineken, he found us and recommended that we go there. Not only that the meal was excellent, but he had his colleague in the hotel greet and lead us to the restaurant. He kept us away from the tourist traps and other pitfalls. Merci Monsieur Duncan !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, ACCOR, Venere, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel